“Exceptional Hotel for Medical Patients in Houston”
Review of Hotel Ylem

Hotel Ylem
Ranked #268 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was close to St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital and provided a shuttle back and forth for appointments. The staff are very friendly and all are constantly cleaning even the front desk people. The room is smaller than what we are used to, but very clean, quiet and temperature is easily maintained. The beds are comfortable and any problems are immediately addressed by staff. There is a full-sized washer and dryer on the second floor and washing products available from front desk. The shuttle drivers are fantastic and it is just so nice to be driven to facilities and then picked up. Jessica was our main shuttle driver and she made us laugh and went above and beyond to be helpful. Debra at the front desk welcomed us warmly and has an all business attitude to get things taken care of. Donnie, the night clerk, was very friendly and got maintenance to fix a plug problem right away. Francy at the breakfast buffet was so friendly and busy as a bee keeping everyone happy and well fed. Robert, the night security guard was very helpful and glad to help in any way. There is no pool, sacrificed for parking. When you have to come to Houston for medical reasons, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy T
GMMedicalCenter, General Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Greetings Ms. Nancy T,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the Medical Center area. We are glad found our staff to be helpful and your stay satisfying. I especially appreciate your detailed response about each of my team members. Your comments will be shared with my team and I am sure this message will warm their hearts as it has mine. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Sheetal

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed a HIE in June for a leisure trip to Houston. Glad I did. Cannot say enough. Good location in relation to medical center and Reunion Center. The desk staff nice, helpful and friendly. Rooms nice and clean. Breakfast typical HIE breakfast, but nice.

Nice, nice, nice

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings Mr. Golfer ;-),

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad found our staff to be helpful and your stay satisfying. We are always pleased to receive acknowledgement of a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make us a leader in Medical Center service.

We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Sheetal

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had reserved a room here in March and asked for the conference rate. I found out that the conference rate was only for students. They supposedly called me but I never got a message. Since I never confirmed the higher rate I thought that was that. Several weeks letter I found I got charged $170 on my credit card although I never checked in. I wrote countless times for a refund and even proposed a compromise of credit for a room some other time. No response at all. I have written 5 more times and nothing. I see this as bad management and just plane rudeness. The people at Club Quarters, by comparison, were efficient, courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: club Quarters has a great location near the convention center
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear jugodevegetales,

Thank you for your review. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Houston Medical Center on a business trip. Although my company booked me for a smoking room (I do not smoke), the staff was really understanding and accommodating. Since I arrived late, they took the time to eliminate and air out the smoke smell. In particular, there was a man on staff named Andy, who was very pleasant and able to move me to a non-smoking room. Andy was very nice and made sure I was happy with my stay. It is great to know that the staff genuinely cares for their guests and contributes true comfort away from home!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 8_NB_8
Walker V, Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

8_NB_8,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad found our staff to be helpful, and your stay satisfying. We are always pleased to receive acknowledgement of a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make us a leader in Medical Center service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel was clean. Certain areas are dated. There didn't seem to be a lot of parking. One reason we choose this hotel is because they had a shuttle. However, after we booked, we found out that it only goes to the medical area, not the airport. At check in we found out it only runs on weekdays, not on weekends. I wish they would have been upfront with me about the shuttle from my first phone call with them since that is what was really important to me.

Breakfast was okay... and the staff was okay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

LsCook,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We apologize for any failure in communication about our shuttle and that our rooms and staff failed to completely satisfy you. Feedback from valued guests, like you, help us to target improvement areas.

Thanks again for your review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel due to the fact I had a medical procedure at one of the local hospitals. I did receive a "medical" discount, thank goodness, because on the back of the door it read where the actual cost of one night stay at this hotel was actually $399.99 per nite. It certainly is not worth $399.99 a night, but with the medical discount we only paid $89.99 per nite and were there for 5 nights.

My husband loved the hot breakfast in the mornings. And we were glad it had a washer/dryer so we could wash our clothes before coming back to Arkansas.

The staff was extremely courteous on the p.m. shift, although less friendly on the a.m. shift.

When we return in July for a follow-up we will be staying at the same hotel again. It is close to both my doctor's office and the hospital I was at.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marilyn R
Walker V, Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Marylin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know you had other options in lodging for your medical trip.

We are glad you found our room's to be comfortable, and our evening staff to be friendly and courteous. We will use your comments about our morning shift, to target the opportunity area. Feedback from valued guests, like you, help us to take the necessary actions to avoid similar situations in the future.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the weekend of April 20th, 2013. This was my wedding weekend and we reserved a block of 20 rooms for the bridal party, family and out of town guests. We chose this location because it was extremely close to our wedding venue, its free breakfast buffet (which is tough to find in the medical center) and the size a quality of its rooms.

We contacted the hotel approximately 2 months before our wedding regarding the rooms. From then on we were in constant contact with Walker and the entire staff. We were a rather complicated reservation which involved 20 rooms, varying check in and check out dates and multiple master credit cards which were used only for specific rooms. We provided Walker with a “rooming list” but there were adjustments that needed to be made and Walker was willing to accommodate our last minute changes without difficulty.

From check-in, we were extremely impressed by the organization and hospitality of the entire staff. They had our room reservations pre-printed and ready to go which made the process extremely quick and efficient. We arranged for our hair & makeup artists to arrive to the hotel at 5am to begin hair and makeup. The hotel provided us with a meeting room so we could get our hair and makeup done with plenty of space as well as privacy. The person at the front desk even prepared 2 pots of coffee at 5am just for us because he knew we were waking up so early and had a long day ahead.

Everyone truly enjoyed the breakfast that began at 6:30am. My maid of honor does not eat pork and she asked if the eggs contained bacon. When she was told they did, she easily found other items to eat because there were so many other options. While we were in the meeting room during hair and makeup, a hotel employee came to us and said that they made a special batch of bacon free eggs and that they were ready for us to eat whenever we were ready. We were all EXTREMELY shocked at how thoughtful that was. We never experienced such kindness and hospitality from any hotel.

Due to past experiences with other hotel chains, we expressed to Walker that the brides side and grooms side would be on different master credit cards and that the guests were not to be shown their bills or allowed to pay no matter how much they insisted. The entire staff honored our request without fail.

My husband & I returned to the hotel the day after the wedding to “settle the bill” and make sure everything was taken care of. They already prepared for us a folder with all our bills, separated by master credit card. They were more excited to see us and see wedding pictures than to talk about the bills!

Needless to say, this hotel went above and beyond our expectations. We were extremely satisfied with the quality of rooms and exceptional service we received this weekend. Everyone knows that weddings are quite stressful and we are thankful that we chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Walker V, Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Fi Matthew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know you had other options in the area, and are grateful to have had the opportunity to host you during your wedding.

While we often get reviewed, very few are as touching and thoughtful as yours. It will be shared with the entire staff, to encourage them along our goal of being a leader in service for the Medical Center.

Thank you again for staying, and for your very kind review, if you anyone else in your family ever needs a place to stay in Houston, we would be more than honored to host yall again.