“Ripped off”

Ranked #285 of 517 Hotels in Houston
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
“Ripped off”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had reserved a room here in March and asked for the conference rate. I found out that the conference rate was only for students. They supposedly called me but I never got a message. Since I never confirmed the higher rate I thought that was that. Several weeks letter I found I got charged $170 on my credit card although I never checked in. I wrote countless times for a refund and even proposed a compromise of credit for a room some other time. No response at all. I have written 5 more times and nothing. I see this as bad management and just plane rudeness. The people at Club Quarters, by comparison, were efficient, courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: club Quarters has a great location near the convention center
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear jugodevegetales,

Thank you for your review. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Houston Medical Center on a business trip. Although my company booked me for a smoking room (I do not smoke), the staff was really understanding and accommodating. Since I arrived late, they took the time to eliminate and air out the smoke smell. In particular, there was a man on staff named Andy, who was very pleasant and able to move me to a non-smoking room. Andy was very nice and made sure I was happy with my stay. It is great to know that the staff genuinely cares for their guests and contributes true comfort away from home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 8_NB_8
Walker V, Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
8_NB_8,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are glad found our staff to be helpful, and your stay satisfying. We are always pleased to receive acknowledgement of a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make us a leader in Medical Center service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel was clean. Certain areas are dated. There didn't seem to be a lot of parking. One reason we choose this hotel is because they had a shuttle. However, after we booked, we found out that it only goes to the medical area, not the airport. At check in we found out it only runs on weekdays, not on weekends. I wish they would have been upfront with me about the shuttle from my first phone call with them since that is what was really important to me.

Breakfast was okay... and the staff was okay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
LsCook,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We apologize for any failure in communication about our shuttle and that our rooms and staff failed to completely satisfy you. Feedback from valued guests, like you, help us to target improvement areas.

Thanks again for your review. We hope we have the honor of hosting you again in the future.

Benton
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel due to the fact I had a medical procedure at one of the local hospitals. I did receive a "medical" discount, thank goodness, because on the back of the door it read where the actual cost of one night stay at this hotel was actually $399.99 per nite. It certainly is not worth $399.99 a night, but with the medical discount we only paid $89.99 per nite and were there for 5 nights.

My husband loved the hot breakfast in the mornings. And we were glad it had a washer/dryer so we could wash our clothes before coming back to Arkansas.

The staff was extremely courteous on the p.m. shift, although less friendly on the a.m. shift.

When we return in July for a follow-up we will be staying at the same hotel again. It is close to both my doctor's office and the hospital I was at.

1 Thank Marilyn R
Walker V, Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Marylin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know you had other options in lodging for your medical trip.

We are glad you found our room's to be comfortable, and our evening staff to be friendly and courteous. We will use your comments about our morning shift, to target the opportunity area. Feedback from valued guests, like you, help us to take the necessary actions to avoid similar situations in the future.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the weekend of April 20th, 2013. This was my wedding weekend and we reserved a block of 20 rooms for the bridal party, family and out of town guests. We chose this location because it was extremely close to our wedding venue, its free breakfast buffet (which is tough to find in the medical center) and the size a quality of its rooms.

We contacted the hotel approximately 2 months before our wedding regarding the rooms. From then on we were in constant contact with Walker and the entire staff. We were a rather complicated reservation which involved 20 rooms, varying check in and check out dates and multiple master credit cards which were used only for specific rooms. We provided Walker with a “rooming list” but there were adjustments that needed to be made and Walker was willing to accommodate our last minute changes without difficulty.

From check-in, we were extremely impressed by the organization and hospitality of the entire staff. They had our room reservations pre-printed and ready to go which made the process extremely quick and efficient. We arranged for our hair & makeup artists to arrive to the hotel at 5am to begin hair and makeup. The hotel provided us with a meeting room so we could get our hair and makeup done with plenty of space as well as privacy. The person at the front desk even prepared 2 pots of coffee at 5am just for us because he knew we were waking up so early and had a long day ahead.

Everyone truly enjoyed the breakfast that began at 6:30am. My maid of honor does not eat pork and she asked if the eggs contained bacon. When she was told they did, she easily found other items to eat because there were so many other options. While we were in the meeting room during hair and makeup, a hotel employee came to us and said that they made a special batch of bacon free eggs and that they were ready for us to eat whenever we were ready. We were all EXTREMELY shocked at how thoughtful that was. We never experienced such kindness and hospitality from any hotel.

Due to past experiences with other hotel chains, we expressed to Walker that the brides side and grooms side would be on different master credit cards and that the guests were not to be shown their bills or allowed to pay no matter how much they insisted. The entire staff honored our request without fail.

My husband & I returned to the hotel the day after the wedding to “settle the bill” and make sure everything was taken care of. They already prepared for us a folder with all our bills, separated by master credit card. They were more excited to see us and see wedding pictures than to talk about the bills!

Needless to say, this hotel went above and beyond our expectations. We were extremely satisfied with the quality of rooms and exceptional service we received this weekend. Everyone knows that weddings are quite stressful and we are thankful that we chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Walker V, Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Fi Matthew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here. We know you had other options in the area, and are grateful to have had the opportunity to host you during your wedding.

While we often get reviewed, very few are as touching and thoughtful as yours. It will be shared with the entire staff, to encourage them along our goal of being a leader in service for the Medical Center.

Thank you again for staying, and for your very kind review, if you anyone else in your family ever needs a place to stay in Houston, we would be more than honored to host yall again.

Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed April 27, 2013

It is clean, comfortable, love the rooms, very spacious. The people at the front desk very helpful and friendly. It is just very convinient, quite, just a nice place to stay the night for business or medical trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Walker V, Guest Relations Manager at 8080 Main, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Abb265,

Thank you very much for reviewing us here. It means a lot to us. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of lodging options in the area.

We are super pleased you enjoyed your rooms, our staff, and the location. It is always a pleasure to hear that we are doing our job well. Your comments will be shared with staff, as reinforcement to continue our efforts to make our hotel a leader in Medical Center service.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful and kind comments. We hope we have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Walker V
Reviewed April 20, 2013

To start let me say that I am not a hotel snob and we stay in hotels 25-30 nights per year. I was in Houston for a food show that was being hosted at the Crown Plaza. I called the reservation desk and the only room available in the area was at this hotel. It was a king suite. Was told it was a two room suite. I was traveling with an employee. Not my first choice, but we would make it work.
When we got to the show, the gentleman handling the convention at the Crown informed me that he had some openings, due to cancellations, at the Crown. When he found out that we were staying at the Holiday Inn Express he asked for my reservation number to see if they would do a courtesy move to the sister property at the Crown. When he called the Holiday Inn Express he spoke to a woman named Debbie. She said no, I could not change my reservation (it was past the cancellation date and time). He asked to talk to the manager of the hotel to go above her. She said no, the manager was in a meeting. She would not give the message to the manager. I thanked him for trying.
We went to the hotel, and while waiting in line watched 2 different people come in and ask for a room - they were refused because they had no rooms available. We also witnessed a man who had lost his room keys and asked Debbie for a new room key. She scolded him for loosing his keys and then gave him one key. He asked for another key, she said no, he could only have one key. Really?? We checked in and went to our room. The room did not have a separate bedroom, it did have a pull out sofa, but it was so dirty I was not about to let my employee sleep on it. We ended up sharing a single bed. Awkward!!!!!!!

At check in we were told that the shuttle ran at the top of the hour, so we caught the shuttle to the Crown where the dinner for the convention was being hosted. The shuttle was filthy. Stains on the seats, dirt everywhere. We were dropped off and the shuttle driver gave us a card to call to get picked up. The driver told us that if he wasn't busy that the 8:00p.m. shuttle may be the last shuttle that he would run, and that we could catch a cab back. Not what we were told when I made the reservation.

Called the number on the card at 7:40 to schedule a ride back at 8:00. No one answered, so I left a message. I also called the hotel at 7:50 to make sure we would get picked up. At 8:20 we called the hotel again (we were only 1.7 miles away), to make sure we were getting picked up. Finally picked up at 8:37. The shuttle driver was talking to us and then said that the people at the hotel were f***ing stupid. I agreed with him but really?

We didn't use any of the facilities, including breakfast because that was part of the convention at the Crown. The room was nothing special but ok, but I have never had an experience like this at a Holiday Inn. I run a small business, and customer service is the name of the game. If I ever caught any of my employees talking to my customers the way this crew did, I would fire them on the spot. If I had been allowed to change my reservation to the Crown, I would have gotten 2 rooms and IHC corporation would not have been out one penny.

Walker V, Owner at 8080 Main, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Deb78063,

Thank you for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and you had a number of options for lodging in the area.

We apologize for issues encountered with shuttle and staff. We assure you your experience was not standard operating procedure for our establishment, and that we will immediately address your concerns here at property.

We take the comments and feedback of valued guests, like you, very seriously. We will use your comments to target opportunity areas. Thank you again for choosing us, and taking the time to share your feedback. We hope you continue to choose IHG properties in the future.