“Nice Place”
Review of Hotel Ylem

Hotel Ylem
Ranked #270 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 17, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend while a family member was hospitalized nearby. The hotel provides a free shuttle to the Medical Center which was really nice since parking at the MedCtr is a premium. Be sure to ask the reception about "hospital rates."

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank laneck
HOUHX, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

Thank you very much for your review. Our Medical and Hospital guests are our pleasure to have with us

Thanks again

Reviewed May 5, 2008

I spent a weekend here in a 12th floor suite with a kitchen. The hotel seems a little dated, but clean. The room was clean and quiet, altho it was at the end of the hallway. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom is a lttle small. The room was freezing when we came in but after adjusting the thermostat the room temp was fine. No problem with internet access. The breakfast buffet is adequate but I didn't see any pastries just bagels and bread. The parking is okay, altho getting into the lot is a bit of a pain because of all the road construction nearby. It seemed that the hotel shuttles were always blocking the entry in front of the hotel.
Overall, I think it is a good hotel , not great. However, for the price I think it's a reasonable choice and would not have any problem staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uray50
HOUHX, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2010

While we thank you for your review, we must point out that we do not have 12 floors, you most likely stayed at the Kirby Location. We are sure they would appreciate your review however.

There is no construction here, and our breakfast is amazing, if you happen to visit again.

Reviewed April 7, 2008

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Five star accommodation! The rooms are beautiful, with hand-carved headboards and granite countertops, huge comfortable beds with a choice of firm or soft pillows, high ceilings, beautiful drapes, a gorgeous crystal chandelier in the lobby...and everything was sparkling clean. The service is exceptional: the staff bakes free cookies for you in the afternoon! They also have a great environmental program to save water and energy with their sheets and towels program.
The complimentary breakfast has so many options, both hot and cold. There's cereal, fruit, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bagels, donuts, toast, oatmeal, coffee, orange juice, etc. The business center has the most recent, state-of-the-art computers I've ever seen and a high quality printer, the best money can buy, all free for hotel guests. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Houston, not just the medical center.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

I dont think I could have written a better review for us. Thank you so much for taking the time. We hope we see you again soon. Weve recently relaunched, so its possible you will enjoy yourself even more this time

Reviewed March 24, 2008

I needed a hotel for one night that was close to the Texas Medical Center and this one fit the bill nicely--it even has a special rate MD Anderson patients. Even though the hotel was full (I had to have a smoking room, which was my own fault for booking at the last minute--lucky to get a room at all), it was super quiet. The bed was comfortable, everything was clean and worked properly, and the breakfast bar was adequate. The location of this hotel is great--very close to Reliant Park and in the middle of a district with a Kroger's grocery store, a Super Target, and many restaurants all within walking distance. Parking was safe and easy. Staff was courteous and helpful. I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Your review is much appreciated. Breakfast has now passed past adequate into awesome since the addition of our Pancake machine, and other various pastries and healthy food items.

Hope to see you again

At your service,

Reviewed January 23, 2008

I work in the Trade Show and Convention industry. I work for a company that produces the Houston Auto Show every year so for the last 3 years, I have stayed at this Holiday Inn mainly because it is absolutely the closest hotel to the Reliant Center where the Auto Show is held. When coming to Houston, we usually stay about 14 days at this hotel. It is close enough to walk to the Center and the view from my room is of the huge Reliant Stadium, the Stadium parking lot and the Reliant Center.

I can say this for sure, this hotel is trying very hard to be a Holiday Inn class of hotel but is missing a few things. Of course this hotel will get busy when there are events going on at the stadium or the center but when I we arrive here each year, there is not much else going on here. So why is this hotel out of King sized beds already?

The rooms do not come with refrigerators or microwave ovens but I needed both because of the long stay. I was able to request and get both sent up to my room.

Upon entering my room I noticed how hot the room was. There was no heat on inside the room and it was in January but it was stifling hot. After quickly maxing out the Air Conditioning it cooled off about an hour later.

My room had two double beds, a desk, a three drawer amoire with a 27" TV, a lounge chair that is crammed into the corner of the room and a night stand between the beds. The drawers had a handle missing that no one seemed to care about and there were only three hangers in the closet. I called the front desk to request more hangers and was assured that some would be brought up. They never were.

The hotel advertises "free WiFi" so after hooking up my laptop I attempted to go online. It was a very slow connection. So slow that I could not even download my email. I called the front desk to ask if there was a problem. They said no. They also said that it was a satellite connection so the weather affects the network.

If you have ever been to Houston in January, you know that it rains a lot and the weather changes very quickly. That means that the Internet connection changes quickly.

There is a bar and a small dining room that only serves breakfast and lunch. There is also a limited room service menu.

Overall not a bad place to stay especially if you are working at or attending an event at the reliant Center. if you are just visiting Houston, you probably want to stay somewhere closer to downtown.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

While we thank you for taking the time to write a review, it just so happens that we are another hotel right down the road, where we do indeed have fast internet, fridges in rooms with microwaves, and more coat hangers than we know what to do with.

If you ever want to stay here, instead of there, we are only .6 miles from Reliant.

Walker Valco

Reviewed July 21, 2007

I stayed here for three days in March. This hotel is located in South Houston. Everything from check in to check out went without any problems. The front desk associates were very helpful and patient. There is free parking that is well lighted. The location is convenient to restaurants and stores across the street. I-610 is just down the road, so there is very good access to the highway. I had a large room with two queen beds, a sofabed and microwave/fridge for $113/night which was a very good deal. There was a 27 inch tv/dvd combo in there also. The bathroom was large and a very good shower. The continental breakfast was very good also, with the fix-it-yourself waffles i love and hot cinnamon rolls. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tawnyday

Thank you very much for your review. We have upgraded a few things, and thought you might be interested to know that our TV's are now 42 inches. We now have do it yourself Pancakes, which most agree make Waffle's elsewhere look wimpy.

Hope to see you again, thank you again for taking the time to communicate and help us be better

Reviewed April 21, 2007

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for the Grand Prix of Houston and really enjoyed our stay. The location of the hotel is close to many stores and resturants. They even provided a shuttle to the grand prix for us.. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave. They also provided a continental breakfast each morning. I recommend this property, especially for families..

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris E
HOUHX, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Ylem, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. We have relaunched since your review, and taken nearly everything a few steps up. A new virtual tour will be online before the new year if you are interested in taking a look before coming back for the Grand Prix this year

Walker Valco