“A good choice”

Ranked #158 of 517 Hotels in Houston
louisiana
“A good choice”
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed at the Courtyard the second weekend of June. We chose it for its proximity to the Medical Center and the University area. We liked our choice as the location had ample restaurant choices, easy access to U.S. 59'e expressway, and to the major surface streets in that area. The hotel staff were pleasant and ready to help. I had understood from the expedia(--) website that breakfast was included. The hotel and expedia obliged, and gve me coupons. Ask for breakfast coupons when you arrive and avoid any confusion. The staff recommended hotels and quickily provided maps to all the locations we had in mind. One reviewer commented that this was in an industrial area. While it does face the expressway, it's not a nosie problem. There's a residence Inn adjacent to the Courtyard and there's a large retirement apartment complex next door. So, it's a major residential section. You can walk (safely) to several restaurants and a large shopping village that has a major grocery store. It would be a good choice if you didn't have a car, or just liked to walk.
Our one complaint: the double beds were not the best. An upgrade of beds would be nice.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank mac6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at the Courtyard West University in Houston over Memorial Day weekend. Had first floor room directly next to the pool - which means unless you want people at the pool looking directly into your room you have to keep your curtains closed (pool open until 10pm). So, request a room away from the pool if that's a concern.

Staff was very friendly, though seemed a little short staffed. Breakfast buffet was average (limited selection). Eggs were bland. Service was adequate.

Room was clean, but there was a distinct odor upon entering the room (sort of like stale cigarette smoke - had requested non-smoking room though). Not really sure what it was... but I was too tired upon arrival to request a room change. Guess I eventually got used to the odor. Decent, though limited cable TV channel selection. Didn't use the high-speed internet access, but used the public computer to print my boarding pass for my flight back and that was fine.

Otherwise, property located in an industrial area, but very close (less than 1/2 mile) to nice restaurants, shopping, etc...

Overall I would rate this Courtyard as average. Nothing special and not in the best area of town. Would probably look for another property next time.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank saturn0022
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 18, 2006

My daughter and I stayed here recently and we were most impressed. I chose this hotel in the Houston area based on the reviews I found on this site. I have to say I am very picky when it comes to the type of hotel my family stays in. Usually, it is a 4 or 5 star full service hotel only; Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hyatt, etc. I decided to take a chance on this Courtyard due to the fact that it was the closest one to our destination, the Museum of Natural Science and the hotel offered a shuttle service to and from the museum (in fact the shuttle service is available to take any guest going anywhere in a 3 mile range from the hotel). I have to say the location was a bit odd as it is surrounded by some industry, but the hotel grounds are nice and Kirby street is only a couple blocks away with all the restaurants you could imagine.
As I am beyond obsessive about room cleanliness, I was a bit apprehensive about what I would find, and was happy to find the room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel. Beds were very comfortable, bathrooms very clean. We had a great stay here.
I was most inpressed with the staff however. Of all the hotels I have stayed in, and the list is extensive, this staff was by far the kindest, most helpful and genuinly caring staff I have EVER run across. Always had a smile on their faces and couldn't do enough for their guests. For instance: I called down to the front desk about 9PM to ask if they served flavored coffee in the hotel. The front desk attendant said they had some coffee in the lobby, but it wasn't flavored. She stated there was a Starbucks nearby and they would be glad to call for the shuttle and have it drive me to Starbucks where it would wait for me to order my coffee and bring me back or it would go with my order and pick it up for me, I wouldn't even have to leave the hotel room. That level of service amazed me, but it got better when I decided to just go down to the lobby and get a cup of coffee myself ( they offed to bring it up to me!). I asked for some real cream and she said they would have it waiting for me (again stating they would be happy to bring it up to me). As I approached the front desk, there was a staff member, holding out a china cup, saucer, and spoon for me and another staff member took me to the kitchen where they got fresh cream and sugar (in individual glass containers) for me and put everything on a tray for me to carry to my room, again stating they would be happy to carry it up for me if I wished. What wonderful service!!
I would definately stay in this hotel again and, for the first time ever, I will be writting corporate Marriott a letter about the wonderful staff at the West university Houston Couryard.

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

This Courtyard By Marriott was one of the nicest I have stayed in. The staff was attentive and friendly, the breakfast buffet was hot, fresh and reasonably priced. The rooms and public areas were clean and tastfully decorated.

There were two small problems but they didn't put a damper on our stay. The first was that, as others have said, the hotel is poorly marked from the road and a little difficult to spot at first. The second was that the water pressure in the toilets was not always full-power and made it sometimes difficult to flush.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 16, 2006

We were very pleased with the 3 nights we spent at the Courtyard Marriott, West University in January 2006. The room was large, clean and comfortable-- the bed was great and the shower had excellent water pressure. Guest rooms have a large desk with free highspeed internet and there are two free PCs with internet access in the business center. Ample free parking. Our rate included a full breakfast with all the usual eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, cereals, pastries, fruit, juices, coffee, tea etc. Staff were all friendly and helpful.

The hotel does not have a restaurant for lunch or dinner and the bar is only open Mon-Thur but there are plenty of options close by.

The location is convenient for anything in West University and downtown Houston. The location, however, could hardly be called attractive. It's kind of industrial looking and surrounded by warehouses, electricity pylons and a highway. You definitely need a car to get anywhere.

We paid about $100 per night including tax, service and breakfast. You would pay double this amount for a similar place in Boston.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank MB747
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed September 11, 2005

What a great value for the price! Great location - right off route 59 and nearby route 45. Only 10 minute drive to downtown area. Rooms were very clean and spacious...looked like they had been recently renovated. Bathrooms were huge - marble countertops, very clean showers, always plenty of fresh towels. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We are rather picky travelers and we enjoyed ourselves here.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank weloveplaya
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed December 15, 2004

Rooms were nicer than the Marriotts I've stayed in this year. Employees were pleasant, well-trained, and helpful.

If you are looking for a clean, tastefully decorated, well-maintained hotel room and do not need a full-service hotel (concierge, etc.), then this is a great choice.

Amazing for the price! Can't recommend highly enough.

After several years of visiting a son at Rice University, I finally found the place to stay.

1 Thank OldWhatsHisName