“Fabulous place to stay.”

Residence Inn Houston-West University
Ranked #173 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had three occasions to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn West University in Houston. All three were related to treatment I was receiving at MD Anderson. Most recently I stayed for over a month while receiving treatment twice a day and telecommuting. It was the perfect location, 3 miles from the Medical Center and bordering beautiful West University...lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. The room was perfect, a nice sized suite with full kitchen, and wi fi. Breakfasts were fantastic, so much to choose from, and delicious. Monday through Thursday nights there were social hours and activities. Each floor had washers and dryers, and of most importance, one can feel secure staying there. There is a shuttle bus, free parking, a library and business center, a snack bar, a pool, and there is always coffee brewing. What I liked best was the professionalism, courtesy, and kindness of the staff. They were there to take good care of their guests, and they did just that!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank westuniversity

Reviewed October 6, 2010

I had booked my reservation online and messed up the dates, so when I checked in I was told I was actually booked for the night before. Ray at the front desk said no problem and booked me in for Sunday night and credited me back for the Saturday stay. I was traveling with my brother who was going to MD Anderson so we booked a 2 bedroom suite that was fantastic. We both had our own bedrooms and then a sitting area where we could watch football and relax. It was all very quiet. And very convenient to the hospital and to Rice University.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We came to this hotel with frazzled nerves from a home remodeling project gone awry. Our 18-year-old cat, equally frazzled, was with us. The staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating. We needed to check in at 8:00am to allow work crews to be in our home. No problem for this Residence Inn. We needed to be undisturbed during our stay...no problem for this Residence Inn. We needed a full, hot breakfast the next morning to take on our challenges...no problem for this Residence Inn. The room was pristine, quiet, comfortable bed; in a word, perfect, for us. The entire staff, from Manager, Assistant Manager, front desk, you name it...all were friendly and extremely service oriented. And convenient location to grocery stores, easy access to freeway (but no noise!). Great stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed at the WU Residence Inn for 70 nights straight. This hotel was perfect for my needs. The staff from the Front Desk, Cleaning, Maintenance and Management were friendly, helpful and a pleasure to deal with. If you are in need of a long or short stay I would highly recommend this hotel.

Only issue was that the wireless intenet signal in my room was not good. I did have highspeed plugin in the room so it worked out.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JSP16
Reviewed August 14, 2010

The hotel is right off the highway, but we couldn't hear that in our room. It might have been covered by the loud AC. The room was large and the bed was comfy. The front desk service was good.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

May 2010. We had the opportunity to spend several nights at this property when we were in the area. The hotel off of a side road off of the toll way. Be careful about driving on the toll way or you could get fined $25.00 each way. I recommend staying off of it. This property is near Rice University, the Galleria is not too far by car and it is near the River Oaks area of Hourston. There is plenty of free parking in the parking lot.

Check-in was very fast but I knew something was wrong when the front desk person take my Marriott Bonus Bucks coupon.

Our room was comfortable and your standard Big Box Residence Inns. The bed was comfortable. Lighting in the room was good. , The work desk was moderate and the office-style chair okay.. My The room had a sleeper sofa and a comfortable arm chair.

The bathroom was clean.. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion/

The breakfast buffet featured scrambled eggs, hot oatmeal, and all the other things you would expect on a breakfast buffet.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, but could use an updating to the style of the rooms.

When checking out and settling my bill, the front desk management processed Marriott Travel cards first before the Residence Inn Bonus Bucks. This left with a difficult choice because if I used the Bonus Bucks I would not able to use the face value. This is awful strange since on this trip the Residence Inn at Alamo Square in San Antonio had no problem accepting the full amount of the Bonus Buck. Also after this trip I used a Marriot property bonus buck at the Renaissance Madison in Seattle and they had no problem accepting it. I had used a Bonus Buck at the J.W. Marriott Union Square in San Francisco and they had no problem accepting it. This property and it's managment was sneaky in what it did just to make a few bucks!
I have a future trip scheduled for Houston and it is fair to stay I won't be staying at this property again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed December 25, 2009

I stayed at this Residence Inn the freezing cold night of Christmas Eve 2009. I had a nice suite that was perfect in every way. I don't know how old this hotel is, but my room didn't have any wear and tear at all. I was especially happy about the extra blanket due to the cold weather (I like to turn the heat way down at night). The location is a little tricky. If you exit the freeway at Buffalo Speedway, you cannot turn left onto Westpark, the street on which the hotel is located. If I were to do it again, I would exit at Kirby and access Westpark from Kirby instead. Considering how centrally located the hotel is, it's in a surprisingly quiet location, pretty much residential, with a senior living complex next door, and a Marriott Courtyard and a large vacant lot as buffers between the Residence Inn and the freeway. I couldn't hear any traffic noise whatsoever. A couple of minutes away is the large, high rise commercial district of Greenway Plaze, and downtown is probably only 10 minutes away. Another huge high rise district (Uptown/Galleria) is between 5 and 10 minutes away depending on traffic, as is the Medical Center and Museum District. I visited my parents in the beautiful West University neighborhood, which was only a few blocks behind the hotel (south of Bissonnet). My only suggestion to the hotel management would be that they should prohibit their employees from smoking near the door to the lobby.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo