“Good hotel except for minor details”

Residence Inn Houston-West University
Ranked #184 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Longview, Texas
“Good hotel except for minor details”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

In general enjoyed staying in this hotel while in Houston - spacious rooms, good breakfast, very convenient location. Not giving it 5 stars because of minor inconveniences: (1) breakfast area in my opinion was inadequately small - contributing to some crowding (2) in the suite room there's only one AC unit for both bedroom and the living area - causing bedroom to usually be cooler than desired while not cooling the living area enough.
All and all I would certainly recommend this hotel if visiting the southwest area of Houston.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2014

With my job I have stayed in many hotels for almost 30 years (just about every week), and aside from that in my personal travel life I am also a Silver member with Marriott. That being said, this property just did not do it for me. With the exception of Thomas (always helpful and referred to me as Mr Andre, loved it) at the Front Desk and Will who was always there in the hall to help me find the Lobby, this property is just ok! It is not a particularly large property, but it always seemed like a challenge to find the Lobby area. More signs with arrows directing you to the lobby would help. The staff is just ok, they did not seem very efficient, and this would include the on duty manager for the time I was there. Overheard a couple of different complaints at the Front Desk from others guests while waiting to lodge my own complaints.

The property location also has nothing around it for convenience (i.e. restaurants, convenience stores, shops, transportation).

As an aside again about finding the lobby, it seemed as if evertime I left my room, I would run into other guests who also had an issue with finding the lobby. We would get lost in different directions and then run into each other to find it together. It was almost a running joke after a while. EXIT signs are everywhere, yes, but they would pretty much lead to another long hallway. So many years in so many hotels, never had that problem, and for a relatively small property..

If I DO go back to Houston, I would NOT stay here again, but would try the Residence Inn or Courtyard on Dallas St in downtown Houston for convenience. Rooms however were clean and comfortably appointed.

Room Tip: Was given the impression by the Front Desk that the "Pool View" was one of the better room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Flyboy1966
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

This was my first booking at this hotel. It was a pleasent experience for the entire stay. The only reason they didnt get the 5 stars is because our room had a foul smell (somewhat like urine). I checked the beds for stains but the smell came from the closet. It wasn't pleasent but it was bearable. I still bought some deodorizers.The staff was courteous and very nice. The breakfast bar was outstanding. We will definitely book here again on our next trip to Houston.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kansas
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed two nights at this Residence Inn. Great room with full kitchen. I really enjoyed the breakfast which was much more than just eggs and toast (the fresh fruit was a plus). We had the complimentary "dinner" on a Monday night, and the chicken, rice and fresh salad was good (big plus with free beer and wine). The pool area does not receive much sun, so we were able to use the pool at the Courtyard next door (very nice pool area). The exercise room was sufficient and clean. All staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful.

I've seen this complaint before and I will restate that we did not have an ice-maker in the freezer in our room, and there is no ice available anywhere in the hotel. We had to go to the Courtyard to get the ice!

The hotel is only 1.5 miles from Rice Village, where we visit often for dinner and shopping when we're in town. There is a Goode Seafood restaurant a short walk away. Only a 10 minute drive to MD Anderson.

Excellent stay for $98! We visit Houston 4 times annually, and this will be our new go-to hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank emccwd
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in June 2014 for a few nights with friends. We had a 2 double bedroom booked and got complimentary upgraded to a suite which was very kind and much appreciated! Breakfast was nice and all staff were helpful and friendly. Nice establishment! Will stay again.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Rachel S
401 College Street, Senatobia, MS
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Nice hotel, great staff.
Room was clean.
One bedroom suite with full kitchen, large and 2 televisions.
Friday night room rate for 2 was $139
It should have been perfect.

Problem is NO ICE.
Within your room, there is a full refrigerator with ice-maker. Housekeeping MUST empty the ice bin from previous guest because MAYBE the previous guest poisoned the ice and no one wants you hurt. Therefore, the new guest only has about 7 small ice cubes available.
This would be fine if there were other ice machines at the end of the hall or even a main ice machine downstairs..... but no. There are no ice machines on the property.
It's Houston.
It's hot in the summer time.
We spent 30 minutes looking for the ice machine on various floors before we called the front desk and found out we have to go to the hotel NEXT DOOR to get ice.
Really?
To his credit, the front desk clerk, Thomas, went next door and brought us back a plastic sack of ice. He was embarrassed.
Thank heaven we traveled with our own tea/soft drinks/water.
Over 45 minutes to get something to drink at 10pm on a Friday night is inexcusable.
Just another example of someone at corporate making foolish decisions.

Drains run slowly but this can be fixed easily. Room was immaculate with a comfortable bed. No pillow for the fold out but the main bed had extra pillows so no problem.

Room Tip: Stay in the front. This hotel has a back building and it makes breakfast and other things inconveni...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I booked this hotel via an online website and got a great deal for last minute booking. For the price, the hotel was well worth it. First, it was located in the hear of West University with 2 minute access to the freeway and with 10 minutes of the Houston Galleria area. I loved that it offered free wifi, free parking and a free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel. Not many hotels offer that these days. I would definitely recommend it and would stay there again myself. I also appreciated the fact that they allowed me to have a late check out with no extra cost.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo