“One of the nicer Residence Inn hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Houston-West University

Residence Inn Houston-West University
Ranked #173 of 489 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“One of the nicer Residence Inn hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here for a week and it was a great hotel. The setup was great, rooms were standard size, the staff was awesome and the food they put out was really good as well. The only reason I left this hotel was to stay closer to my client and it was for convenience only. This hotel was closer the the downtown area and also closer to all the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joe G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Basseterre, St. Kitts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

A three night stay at the completely booked Residence Inn Houston West University started with an arrival around 9:30 pm on a cold rainy night. The hotel was over-booked and my business partner and I were lucky/pleased that instead of moving us to the Courtyard (next door), they upgraded us each to two-bedroom units. We certainly didn't need that much room but after a long day it was nice to get checked in and have the comforts of a Residence Inn. The room was clean and comfortable and completely in-line with the expectations that I have of Residence Inns. The breakfast (complimentary) was a little crowded on two of the mornings, but we had no problem finding a table. It seemed that the staff serving breakfast was a little under-staffed as they worked to keep the food coming and the area clean, but that is to be expected when you are completely full. Easy access to downtown Houston (although the traffic is tough in this town) which was about 4 miles away from where we were working. Lots of fast food and one awesome seafood place-the Goode Company Seafood Restaurant (http://www.goodecompany.com/restaurant-seafood1.asp) - where I could have eaten every night!

Room Tip: I would suggest staying on the front side (Main entrance) of the hotel...a little more well lit when...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank William S
Port Charlotte, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while a loved one was in a nearby hospital. The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful. My first room was well-appointed, clean and comfortable. I needed to switch rooms (due to something outside of the control of staff) late one night, and they accommodated me quickly. The second room, while still nice, was a lot smaller and the bathroom was a bit dated/cramped. The neighborhood was a little weird -- it's in the middle of what looks to be an industrial area. I'd stay here again -- the hotel is nice and the staff wonderful. Like others in the area, the hotel offers a decently priced medical rate if you or a loved one is a patient at one of several major medical centers in downtown Houston.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I've been staying at this hotel since November of last year each week from Sunday and Thursday. On initial impressions I felt reception was outstanding and coming from the North East of the US I wasn't used to the friendliness and helpfulness in this part of the country. The rooms are more homely rather than modern but its a place that you can say is clean and comfortable. The breakfast is great with lots of options that do change each day, try the Texas shaped waffle maker its great. Mary is always there to help whenever you need something, I also want to mention some exceptional people who work there like Sasha the General Manager- very friendly always happy to help, Roxana the receptionist who's in Training is always there to help, I can't wait till it gets warmer then I can finally use the Hotel's pool and jacuzzi! if you want to play Basketball there's a hoop to play with it.

Give this place a try you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try the 3rd floor, all the rooms are great ;)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Aaron J
College Station TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I was enticed by the price...$105 for a weekend night. But this was no typical Residence/Marriott. Old, stale decor...confused front desk...dark parking lots...noisy elevators. There is no drive-up entrance so you may have to park far from the lobby to check in. Walked into my guest room and got slapped by floral taxi cab air-freshner stench. Overwhelmingly strong...I finally located the air freshner...it was hanging on the INSIDE of the air handling vent. Had to unscrew the vent cover and get it out. Old stained carpets, loose floorboards in the kitchenette. All in all a disappointing stay for a Marriott. Wish I had tried elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AggieTraveler98
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

First off, the Residence Inn model is wonderful for families. The two-bedroom suite with kitchen was great for our family of four, and the breakfast buffet very convenient. (My kids loved the make-your-own waffle station.) The location is close to the medical center and Rice University/ Rice Village, and reasonably convenient to the Galleria. We generally stay here when we have several scattered friends/ family members to visit, as it offers easy access to the major highways.

However, like other RI properties, the place appears to have a cleanliness problem. We found a few month's worth of dust in the corner of the living room, a half-eaten M&M on the carpet, and a half-cleaned up spill in one corner of the kitchen. There was also a loose floorboard in the kitchen. The front desk was apologetic when we checked out, but we weren't offered anything besides. We'd stay here again just for the location, but maybe bring a dust buster with us.

Room Tip: We heard some noise from the adjacent apartment complex on Friday/ Saturday nights. I'd recomme...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Susy_Traveler
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were in Houston for my GF to qualify as a Running Instructor when we stayed here.

First morning we were kicked out when all the fire alarms went off and weren't allowed back in until the Fire crews said so.
This is a great Residence in in a superb location to access Houston.
The staff treated us like royalty and we truly felt welcomed here. The suite was just that little bit more comfortable than many we'd stayed in. Everything was really "just right".
When I go to Houston again, I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business