“not what I normally get from Marriott at their Residence Inns”

Residence Inn Houston-West University
Ranked #199 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am a Marriott fan, if it is up to me every trip I take I would stay at Marriotts. I travel over 100 days a year for work and this time around I took the weekend off and went to Houston. I chose this hotel because normally Residence Inns are superb, but not this one! The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable, they needed replacement, the phone didn´t work, the TV stand did not swivel therefore you had to watch TV only in the living room but not in bed, etc. I had to ask them twice to fix everything and they didn´t. Breakfast is good though,and that is just the only good thing I have to say about the hotel. Ohh and the AC is tremendously noisy. I think I would recommend to look elsewhere

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mjliberman

Reviewed January 10, 2013

While the staff was friendly, the hotel is run down and in severe need of an upgrade. We almost checked out, but stayed due to inertia. We were only there 3 days. Not a great Marriott experience.

We had to have a technician show us how to turn on the gas fireplace. Houston this time of year is normally pretty warm, but while we were there the temperature was in the 50's. Cold. The on/off switch is hidden, I think because the management doesn't want people to use the fireplace. Also, since we were there for the holiday (New Years), no one made up the room. They only supplied clean towels. Not a big deal, but that comes with the price of the room, don't you think?

The kitchen floor was cracked and buckled. The drapes had bare spots that let the light through. The furniture was dated and uncomfortable. And saving the worst for last, the beds (advertised and requested 2 queen size), were full size at best. If they were queen, they must have been from 50 years ago when the average hight was 5'5". All in all, not a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MrPeter_144
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night following a friend's wedding. Most of the others from the wedding were staying here, so we decided to move here to spend a few hours with them in the evening following the festivities. The hotel looks very nice from the outside and is convenient (with a car) to a lot of local establishments. Check-in took forever. I, of course, am saying that figuratively, but with over 1000 nights stayed in hotels over the past 7 years, I have never spent 30 minutes checking into a hotel, even during peak season in popular places. The room was nice and as expected for a Residence Inn. It was clean, well maintained and overall very nice. I should note that the employees were all very nice. However, I cannot give it 5 stars due to that service issue at the beginning of our stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights for business travel. Overall it's just OK.

Location: It near downtown and has shops nearby a short drive away. The Courtyard is attached to this Residence Inn. Traffic around is horrendous.

Rooms: There's was this musty old smell in the room. I couldn't understand why! It was the bare basic room with a queen bed in it. My trash under the sink was never cleaned when I checked in (Yuck). The beddings and decor are just OLD and seems aged and worn out. Holy Batman, the room looked like red roof inn or some highway motel.

Breakfast/Gym: The very basic. The food area tends to get crowded with family and loud kids. There wasn't any employee to tell them to quite down!

Receptionist was full of energy when checking in and out. So that was a delight to see she liked her job and was interested in telling me where stuff was on premises, food area, parking closed to the room, tv channel lineup etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank NiteSurfer1
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Although the location is good for getting downtown, and although there's a great seafood restaurant close by (Goode's) the minimal fitness center was a disappointment. As always the staff is terrific.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Was booked in here for 4 week stay but due to office location had to move after 4 days to minimise the daily commute.
I stayed in an excellent spotlessly clean Queen Suite room on third floor with opening windows (yes you can open for fresh air!), daily housekeeping and with everything else required to make a long stay enjoyable. The local shopping centre about 500m west on Westpark Drive has everything that you need in the way of essentials with a great Kroger supermarket and another huge supermarket located behind the Starbucks on the corner. Also an Italian restaurant and Fish Grill. Both are great places to eat out. The Residence runs a shuttle bus to Galleria and a few other places downtown. I had a car so getting about was no problem. If you plan to go the Galleria (along with the rest of Texas) take the bus as parking can be a real challenge. Otherwise this Residence is in a good location with easy access to begin journeys in any direction. And it is on the edge of the very nice leafy and friendly neighbourhood of West University so an early morning run or walk is no problem. Just ask at reception for the running circuit map.
The staff were very helpful and whislt not a 5 star 'hotel' the whole place is immaculately maintained.
Would definately stay here again both for long and short term and certainly recommend to others seeking clean, budget prices accommodation. Certianly felt comfortable here more so than in many of the 5 start 'glamour palace' hotels that I have stayed and have now had this location placed onto our company's preferred places to stay list.

Room Tip: Get a an upper 3rd floor room and open the windows to let the fresh air in. Was here in 'winter...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HandHMelbourne
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My family has stayed at the Residence Inn West University for various periods over the past few years while my mother received treatments at MD Anderson. We always appreciate the convenience of having the breakfast buffet downstairs, and the dinner happy hour food (which for us can be a dinner) since it comes with salad and a dish of some sort + drinks. The staff is usually very friendly, and we also like the free shuttle to MD Anderson. We think that rooms are in need of an update... they are getting a little worn looking, but they have already updated the lobby area, so we assume this is coming soon.

Room Tip: The elevators are on the back corners of the building, so if you don't want to walk very much, g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family