“Great stay!”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #21 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Check-in was a breeze. Check out was even smoother. The hotel makes you feel fancy from the moment you walk in, and the longer you stay the more at-home you feel. It's a throw-back hotel with a nod to the 20's with classy touches and a warm feel. The rooms are elegant, though admittedly a little dated. The bed was uncomfortable, as I could feel the springs when siting or lying on it, but I got a good night's sleep regardless. Even with all the busy traffic and noise outside, you can't hear much once you're inside your room. It's in a great location, walkable to my destination. The staff were wonderful, and always answered the phone in a timely manner. They went above and beyond to make sure I was well cared for during my stay, and I felt like a VIP (even though I wasn't). I ordered room service in the morning; it arrived promptly and had a very nice presentation. The complimentary Wi-Fi was a HUGE plus! I have my February stay already booked at Hotel Icon and look forward to another wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 11, 2011

My wife and I, and a good friend of ours stayed for a night based on previous reviews I'd read. I think the hotel was a bit under capacity, so the very friendly and helpful front desk staff bumped us into some sort of suite; my wife and I in one, and our friend in a second. The service was fantastic and the room was just beautiful. The rehab of this old bank is really topnotch; the bathroom alone was good enough for us! comfortable jacuzzi tub, great lighting, interesting and innovative color scheme, and of course a heavenly-comfortable bed. One of the top 3 rooms i've ever stayed in... and the price was unbeatable. GREAT value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ethanol35
Reviewed January 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Icon last night, and have personally ranked as one of the top 5 best hotels we have ever stayed in. From check in to check out, the hospitality wine during happy hour, the call from the front desk manager 15 minutes after settling in to our room to check that everything was okay... And the room!!! Ohh my!!! Fantastic is the only word to describe it. Maybe it was the crazy decor that came together to scream luxury, or maybe it was the cowboy rubber ducky waiting for me in the giant kohler bath tub, or the awesome sheets, whatever it was the combination was amazing.

Now we stayed on a pretty quiet night, Tuesday after a big holiday weekend, and they could have slacked off, but they didn't it... was great. Please stay at this hotel... you won't regret it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ntav
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed here for a couple of nights and the service was excellent especially one of the ladies on front desk - Cheryl I think was her name and she is a credit to the hotel. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2010

The Icon has a very attractive open-concept bar and restaurant in its lobby, which had been a bank building. Beautifully decorated large rooms, with very comfortable beds and furniture, including two overstuffed club chairs. Very quiet, heavy drapes shut out any outside light. Is in a nice theatre district location. Huge bathrooms with incredible walk-in shower that had both a regular shower head and a separate overhead rainwater shower head. If you don't need the size and features of the Four Seasons (at which we have also stayed), this is an outstanding next choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TerryG49
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My Husband and I really enjoyed our short stay at the Hotel Icon. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is great, the room was lovely, and the best part is the price was awesome for the quality level and location.

The hotel is pet friendly :) which is a must for us. They say there is a 35 pound max when you first call but I explained that my dog was over that but a good pet who travels often and they said that was fine that they had even had a great dane there before and as long as the animals were well behaved they had no problem with larger dogs. There is also a dog park one or two blocks over that is great. It had a water feature for the dogs to play in and a separate area for the little dogs. There were even clean up bag dispensers on light posts to make it easy for you to clean up after your dog and doggie drinking fountains too.

Parking... the hotel has a garage that is for valet only at $28 a day, there is limited street parking depending on the time of day, and there are also some paid lots near by but be careful the posted amount is not always correct so read the fine print before you pay because some of them the $5, $7 or $10 will only get you till midnight then you have to go back to add more money or you will get a boot on your car. Best and safest parking is at the hotel even though it is the most expensive... but at least your car is safe and close by if you need anything. The hotel also has a complementary shuttle for the downtown area till 11pm.

Food - The restaurant is very nice and reasonably priced. It has local organic selections! :) The front desk helped us with a number to a local pizza place that delivered a pizza at 3am and it even had gourmet toppings like goat cheese and sundried tomatoes! :) There is room service and a mini bar in the room also. Be careful if you remove something from the mini bar there is a sensor that will trigger it to show up on your bill. I removed a bottle of wine to read the label but retuned it and it was on our bill but when I explained they removed the charge without question.

The room - The bed was soft and the sheets were too and lots of pillows. The jetted tub was so big we could sit side by side in it (we were on the top floor - not sure if all the rooms are the same) and the shower was as big as some half baths with a rain head and a regular shower head. Granite counters and tiny historic looking floor tiles made the bathroom have and extra special feel.

We went to a concert at the house of blues only about 9 blocks away. We got a ride in the hotel shuttle (which is a nice suburban) there then took a petty cab back. The petty cab ride at 2am on chilly night was nice.

This would be a great place to stay if you were going to a number of downtown places. You could walk to minute maid park (the baseball staduim) if you wanted to, It was very close by.

We really enjoyed our stay and wished it could have been longer. We plan to go back for a full weekend! :) ...I hear the spa at the hotel is very nice so next time we plan to check it out also.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank airwlk2613
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I live north of Houston and just wanted a weekend away from home. I researched all of the hotels downtown and found this to be one of the most affordable, conveniently located hotels to the restaurants, shopping and entertainment. The staff was incredibly professional, not to mention they offer a complimentary shuttle to all downtown locations. They have an excellent menu and upscale bar. I would highly recommend this to anyone. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple