“Wonderful welcome”

Ranked #21 of 508 Hotels in Houston
london
“Wonderful welcome”
Reviewed December 9, 2008

From the moment we walked in to the lobby we were made to feel like VIPs. The receptionist was warm and friendly and informative. The room was large, elegant and comfortable, (the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept. in) The bathroom was roomy, with an enormous walk-in shower, and large bottles of Molten Brown shower gel; shampoo and conditioner. Towels a little small, but plenty of them.
Room service was good, breakfast and dinner.
The best part of this hotel is the free shuttle car to take you anywhere in a 3 mile radius. We went out for dnner, (the concierge had great recommendations) driven there and back by the hotel. They even dropped off and picked up from the office during the day. This was much more than just a room to stay in The Icon hotel is similar to staying in a club rather than a hotel with it's personal attention and transport. Can't recommend it highly enough. .

• Liked — Comfortable and spacious
  • Disliked — No bath robes
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Spent one night at the Icon. Staff was very friendly. Room was ok but nothing special. Our leisurely lunch in Voice was tasty. Avoid the spa at all costs however - it's in the dungeon-like basement, and the services are outrageously priced (and then the "standard" gratuity they add is ridiculous as well). We've stayed at many top-notch hotels and enjoyed their spas, but never felt gouged like this.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank FalconTx
West Sussex, England
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We were very pleased with our stay at the Icon. Had a bit of trouble finding the valet parking entrance as it is hidden away but once there check in went very smoothly. Rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. Decor is good. The only bad thing was the housekeeping, a dirty flannel was not replaced and the same applied to toiletries we had used. Also we had used the iron and it was too hot to put away before we left the room, on our return it was still on the floor where we left it even though the room had been cleaned. Not a big deal but we would have expected it to have been put away.
Someone previously mentioned that the hotel was in a safe area. We did not feel that safe, there was a lot of police presence, homeless people approching us constantly and some rather seedy places just round the corner.
Overall the hotel is very good but location left something to be desired.

• Liked — The comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank w_barb
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 20, 2008

This hotel was very nice. We live in the Houston suburbs, but we had reservations for a tasting dinner at Voice, the hotel restaurant, so we decided to make a mini-getaway of it. We stayed in one of the rooms with a jacuzzi tub (large bathroom with marble sink and floor, large separate shower and decent sized jacuzzi tub with hand-held shower). The tub was big enough for two people if they really just want to be romantic (i.e., it's really a one-person tub, but pretty deep). The hot water in the tub and sink were scalding, but the water in the shower didn't get quite warm enough for me. Overall, though, the bathroom is cool and has an opening to the bedroom (which can be shuttered for privacy).

The only thing I didn't like about the room was that there were no bathrobes. We went with some friends, and their room had one robe. Ours had none.

Bed was very comfortable.

Another drawback was the street noise. We stayed on a Saturday night, and the noise from nearby night clubs was very loud. I was awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of the police talking on a bull horn. We were on a fairly high floor and still heard the noise. We were extremely tired, though, so I really didn't lose much sleep.

My friend and I also got massages in the spa. The spa facility was relaxing, but wasn't super luxurious, but the massage was fantastic. The locker room is nice because the locker doors are large and make a little dressing area, so you have a little privacy, even if others are getting dressed at the same time. it was pricey, but very nice for a splurge.

The restaurant was good, but I would say for the price of the tasting, I have had much better tasting menus with significantly better wine pairings. One of the wine choices was horrible and did not complement the food at all, and the other pairings were mediocre, at best. Food was generally good, but, again, not up to par for the type of restaurant for which they really want to be known. Breakfast in the restaurant was nice. The atmosphere is comfortable, but, again, the food was not up to par (very average egg-white omelet with goat cheese. My friend enjoyed the breakfast taco or burrito, and my husband and friend's husband liked the Texas-style breakfast, but nobody was raving about their food).

Overall, a 4-star boutique hotel experience, but I wouldn't recommend it for the restaurant.

• Liked — Bed comfort and bathroom
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank birdie1986
Austin, TX
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Bad First Impression: crowded garage valet parking, first room wreaked of cigarette smoke, bed type was not available even though we booked over six months ago, no cd player in room, community bottles of shower product – yuck, rude bartenders, disgusting and old cheese tray by room service and the bathroom has a huge opening over the tub (maybe sexy for some, but anything but private).

Redeemed: They moved us quickly to a non-smoky smelling room, delivered a cd player, apologized and credited back the cheese tray (thanks Kevin), the crab cakes via room service were tasty, the room was very quiet, the bed was comfy, slippers were a nice amenity, considerate and professional check-out clerk, efficient and courteous valet retrieval and the complimentary shuttle car was a nice perk.

Will not stay here again though.

• Liked — complimentary shuttle car
  • Disliked — room felt dirty
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Ormond Beach, FL
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I stayed one night (October 2008) and just adored it. The company who flew me to Houston had already booked me into another hotel for the following night and because of a change of plans I had to come in a day earlier, but couldn't get a room at the original hotel for that first night. So I found this online and even though it was pricey, it was near where I needed to be in the morning, so I went for it (however, I spoke with a couple at the bar who were paying nearly half of what I did and they said they booked it through the hotel's website as well, so not sure what the problem for me was!)

What I found refreshing here was that it had all the charm that the "big box" hotels lack. It is located in an old bank building and the architecture details inside all around are lovely, including the large vault door behind the reception desk. I found everyone on the staff that I came in contact with from the desk to the breakfast waiter to be courteous.

The room (915) was spacious and cozy at the same time. It lacked nothing and the bathtub was incredible - one of those that you can sink into the water up to your neck. I know they feature "spa" bath services, but I did not take advantage of this. The shower was huge and I had to actually dial back the water pressure - it was too much! And the shampoo/cream rinse/body wash in the shower was a nice touch. My only complaint is that the lighting in the bathroom was rather dim, but at least there was a lighted magnifying mirror to help make up for that. Everything was very clean and the bed comfortable.

I had dinner at the bar downstairs (which is very nice and I loved the decor, although on a Friday night, it is populated with an interesting crowd) and the food was very good. The bartender had no problem giving me a small pitcher of half & half to take back to my room (which I stored in the mini bar) to have with my coffee in the morning. The coffee service in the room was actually good (I don't usually even bother with them as most are terrible).

In the morning the hotel provided a free shuttle to the convention center - I felt rather special pulling up in a chauffeur driven Mercedes SUV all by my lonesome. I was sad to have to change hotels. I would absolutely stay there again, but try for a lower rate like the folks I met at the bar!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BJL
Ross, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We had high expectations for the Icon, the staff and property delivered on every count. The reservationist Sarah was friendly and accommodating. Check in was a breeze. In fact Mary, was so kind as to walk us to a friendly "local" watering hole, the Grumbar. Our room was large with a jaccuzzi. The bathrooms are large and impressive. The decor of the hotel is very striking from the vault door behind the desk to the Art Deco elevator dials.
Great location downtown. Very safe. Lots of restraunts and bars. We reccommend Mia Bella. Great nouveau Italian. Bottomless bloody marys and bellinis on Sunday brunch 8.95.
You usually hear beds were to hard ours a bit soft but that is personal taste.
Train to Reliant stadium for a $1.00 just outside.
When in Houston this is the place to stay.

• Liked — Location, chauffered car avialble for local trips, decor, friendly staff
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple