“Great time”

Ranked #21 of 504 Hotels in Houston
North Salt Lake, Utah
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have been in the hotel off and on for over a month now and it is lovely. The staff is excellent and the food is terrific. Everyone is trained to treat you special. It is an old bank so the hotel has a lot of history and the feel of being back in the day.

Room Tip: Once they put me in a suite because my room was not ready yet. They are great.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
sharon f, Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. I have shared your comments with the team and we are all pleased that you had a nice stay.

We hope you come back to visit soon. Remember to check our website for upcoming specials.

Sharon Fuller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
College Station, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

My significant other and I stayed here the night of Valentine's Day. The hotel looks like it may have been an old bank and many of the features of said bank are still distinguishable (front desk has the vault behind it, etc.). The hotel can be hard to locate (don't use the Maps function on your iPhone or you'll end up at the police station under a bridge!). Once there you encounter valet car service and the front desk is very nearby. The person who checked us in walked us to the elevator and told us about some features of the hotel. The hotel looks to have been recently redone and everything looks quite new and sharp. There are not a lot of rooms on each floor which adds to the quaintness and atmosphere. Our room was very nice and the bathroom was among the best I've ever stayed in. There was a huge sliding window in place of the wall between the bathroom above the whirlpool tub and the main room which I found really, really cool; it was the most distinguishable part of our visit there. The bathroom also had a glass stand-up shower in addition to the large tub under the window. I can't say enough about the bathroom. The room itself was not large but perfect for our needs. This is a perfect hotel to visit for a romantic getaway. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris H
Thank you for your nice comments. I have shared this with my team and we are all pleased that your Valentines Day was wonderful.

Please visit us again soon and remember to check our website for upcoming specials.

Sharon Fuller
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We wanted a little get away within in the city so we chose The Icon Hotel for a second time. We love this place...it has such a historic value to out city and to down town. The check in is located within the original value of when the first floor lobby was a bank many years ago. Loved the way they not only saved this feature but utilized in such a great way. Our room was small, as expected with a boutique hotel, but that wasn't a problem at all. In fact it was decorated so nicely in the period fashion that cozy would best describe it. We also loved the dark red think robes that are in the room for the guests use.
The only reason for only four stars instead of five is the check in staff. Completely unprofessional, rude and disconnected. The ladies seem to care more about their personal conversation than actually doing their job and waiting on the guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
We were so pleased that you thought of our Hotel ICON again for your little get away! We appreciate your insight in to the décor and are truly grateful that you love this place as much as we do. I was very disappointed to read about your arrival experience and have shared your comments with our entire staff. We do hope you give our Hotel ICON another chance for your next get away. Again, thank you for your comments, we value all feedback and look forward to making your next stay with us ICONic!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a weekend stay here in downtown Houston. Everything about this place screams first class. From the iconic building (an old bank), large rooms, even larger bathroom with whirlpool...we really enjoyed ourselves in a very central location. Gym and spa areas are large and equipment in the gym look alike in good shape.

The best part about it is that you can stay here at a very reasonable price.

Tip: there is a surface lot katty corner from the hotel that is significantly lower priced than the valet lot. Give it a shot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at our Hotel ICON! We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to your return. We pride ourselves on First Class Service and are delighted to read your comments regarding our beautiful building.

With kind regards,
Hotel ICON
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed one night for the Houston Marathon. I had the deluxe king room with the whirlpool tub. Overall the hotel was nice. It's decor has a lot of old style elements that have been updated with contemporary colors. The staff was friendly and my room was nice. I thought the bed was very comfortable. Check out is at noon and they will charge you $20 for a late checkout. They don't have ice machines on the floors, so you have to request it from downstairs. This wasn't a big issue though. I didn't get to use it, but the workout facilities are very nice. They are some of the nicest I've seen at a hotel. I'd definitely stay here again if needed.

Room Tip: Get a room with the whirlpool tub.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
What a delight to have you stay with us for the Chevron Marathon! We are pleased you enjoyed your room and the décor. Looking forward to having you join us again next year.
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Liked this hotel a lot, will definitely plan a stay again. The room had a lot of character, something missing from most branded properties. I love boutique hotels, but love getting points more when I travel, so I tend to stay at branded properties. From the lobby which boasts an old vault behind the front desk, to the old (but charming) elevators and then my room. The room had touches of old and new but they mixed very well together. Loved the old, tile in the bathroom mixed with the more modern wallpaper. The sleeping area had a very comfortable bed and linens, large windows and beautiful rounded arches. Great location in the city, central to much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your charming words about our Hotel ICON! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Houston and delighting you once again- hopefully for a longer stay.

With kind regards,
Hotel ICON
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed here for a week in January 2014. This is a historic hotel in old downtown Houston.If you are looking for new and shiny, this is not the place for you. Its a bit quirky, its old and although renovated, you can still see some battle scars. If you are curious about trying a historic property, give this a try. I see dozens of different hotels every year and the rooms at this hotel are really nice. They are large, well appointed and the bathrooms/showers are exceptional. The other thing I really appreciate is the exceptional fitness center at this hotel - so many hotels I visit have lousy fitness centers. ( I am always stunned when a business orientated hotel has a lousy fitness center - some hotel chains just dont get it. I say, if you cant get this basic requirement right, get out of the business - I mean really - if you dont understand what your clients want. its time to bail.) I only had one meal in the lobby bar and it was fabulous, so I expect other dining experiences will be good as well. The only negative is the cost of the parking: $28. per night in Houston is high - by any standards. especially when there are $5.00 lots a half a block away.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank RobbCalgary
We were thrilled to read your comments on your stay at our Hotel ICON! We are glad you enjoyed our fitness center and lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for your insight!