“Quick stay, but lots of charm”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #23 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Quick stay, but lots of charm”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Liked this hotel a lot, will definitely plan a stay again. The room had a lot of character, something missing from most branded properties. I love boutique hotels, but love getting points more when I travel, so I tend to stay at branded properties. From the lobby which boasts an old vault behind the front desk, to the old (but charming) elevators and then my room. The room had touches of old and new but they mixed very well together. Loved the old, tile in the bathroom mixed with the more modern wallpaper. The sleeping area had a very comfortable bed and linens, large windows and beautiful rounded arches. Great location in the city, central to much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_ICON_GM, General Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your charming words about our Hotel ICON! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Houston and delighting you once again- hopefully for a longer stay.

Hotel ICON

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Calgary
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I stayed here for a week in January 2014. This is a historic hotel in old downtown Houston.If you are looking for new and shiny, this is not the place for you. Its a bit quirky, its old and although renovated, you can still see some battle scars. If you are curious about trying a historic property, give this a try. I see dozens of different hotels every year and the rooms at this hotel are really nice. They are large, well appointed and the bathrooms/showers are exceptional. The other thing I really appreciate is the exceptional fitness center at this hotel - so many hotels I visit have lousy fitness centers. ( I am always stunned when a business orientated hotel has a lousy fitness center - some hotel chains just dont get it. I say, if you cant get this basic requirement right, get out of the business - I mean really - if you dont understand what your clients want. its time to bail.) I only had one meal in the lobby bar and it was fabulous, so I expect other dining experiences will be good as well. The only negative is the cost of the parking: $28. per night in Houston is high - by any standards. especially when there are $5.00 lots a half a block away.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank RobbCalgary
We were thrilled to read your comments on your stay at our Hotel ICON! We are glad you enjoyed our fitness center and lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for your insight!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in December. I won't be returning. The staff at this hotel is very, very clueless. On no less than three occasions, they lost/misplaced faxes that had been sent to me, and in each instance, I had the distinct sense that they literally had no idea where they should even look to locate those faxes. Nor were they particularly apologetic or all that eager to solve the problem for me. Instead, they asked in each case whether it wouldn't be easier to just have my secretary resend the fax rather than bothering them any more. The problem, of course, was that two of three faxes were already resends of a fax already sent that was never delivered.

On the plus side, the hotel is an interesting conversion of a former bank. The building itself is quite something, though I am not sure it's highest and best use is as a hotel. The general area, however, is bereft of many good eating options, and heaven help you if you need a taxi to the airport on Saturday morning. You will get no help from the hotel staff, and you won't find many (if any) taxis on the streets.

The premise of the Marriott's Autograph Collection is promising. In execution, however, in my experience, many of them leave a lot to be desired, and this one more than most. I have literally stayed 1000's of nights at various Marriotts around the world, and this one ranks low in my experience. There are many good hotels in Houston. This isn't one of them.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MidwestLawyer0331
Thank you for your candor regarding your stay at our Hotel ICON, we truly appreciate your business and are sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations regarding staff service. Our entire team strives to have each and every one of our guests enjoy their stay at our hotel. We have reviewed your comments with the entire staff. Again, I apologize for the challenges you experienced during your stay and we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Dave Comerota
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I travel to Houston every week for business. I have had a hard time finding a good business hotel. Most of the hotels in the downtown area are not nice or are in a bad part of town. I was typically staying in the Galleria area for the restaurants and activities nearby, but I found the hotels over there weren't even that great.

My first week at Hotel Icon I was impressed! It is a Marriott property so great for business travel and points. The rooms are large, very quiet and clean. I loved the boutique feel. Even though there is no lounge, they have a free breakfast buffet downstairs in the morning for platinum members. The choices were just what I look for in a breakfast, lots of grab and go options.

The gym is a little odd and very red but it always seemed to be empty which I appreciated.

They also offer a free shuttle any where downtown so I didn't have to walk far to my office in the morning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank heatherita711
We were so thrilled to hear you have found a home at our Hotel ICON! We look forward to having you return and delighting you each week!

Hotel ICON
Orlando
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I loved the hotel Icon, it is not my sleek modern hotel but had so much charm. I loved the enormous bathroom that looked into the bedroom, the bed was extremely comfortable and the staff was welcoming and made great suggestions. My only issue was you Iphone Map can't get you there so I drove around a bit to find it on two occasions since I am not familiar with the city at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
sharon f, Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I have shared these comments with the team and we hope you will have the opportunity to visit again soon.

Dublin
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Excellent boutiquey character hotel in the heart of downtown. Such a change from the normal US cookie-cutter hotels. Friendly staff at check-in and a great bar area for a cold Houston night. Enjoyed the solid, cozy room and old-style bathroom. Gave us a new perspective on downtown Houston.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We have stayed at the Icon 5 times now. The location is great, close to convention center and sports arenas. The rooms are old world luxurious with phenomenal bathrooms and showers. There is no concierge lounge, but full breakfast offered in place and the food and service is wonderful. The bar and bar bites are amazing (try gotmula # 4). Tip of the hat to front desk and valet service that strive to remember you personally especially Rita and Samire. My family comes together at this hotel and we love this place. Full shuttle service is offered as well!

• Stayed November 2013