“Average Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 511 Hotels in Houston
NY, NY
“Average Hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Just back from a business trip to Houston and a quick stay at Icon Hotel. I booked it based on reviews by Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2008. The price was right, but the hotel service was mediocre at best as was the quality of the room. As a business traveler arriving late, I was very disappointed to find room service stopped at 10pm. It's probably a good spot for a visit to Houston, but not a great business hotel.

• Disliked — tiny room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2008

What can I say about ICON it was great. It's downtown Houston great location.They have valet parking about 20 something a day.We got they our room was nice but we prefer a bigger bed,they upgraded our room it was great. The showers and bathroom is great. The scenery from the room are wonderful. There's a bar downstairs pretty pricy but therea many bars and resturants near. The hotels also gives free rides in the downtown area pickup ,drop- off. The decor of the hotel is very nice.Overall next trip I will stay at the ICON.

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Stayed at the Icon for two nights on business. I had a regular room on the 11th floor. The Icon is a historic property, once served as a bank but was repurposed as a boutique hotel. Really good scene at the bar (former bank lobby). I had drinks at the bar and they give you a complimentary dish of olives, bar nuts, etc which helped hold us over until dinner. I didn't eat at the restaurant (which shares the same lobby space as the bar) but the place was packed. The hotel definitely has a vibe that other larger downtown hotels don't have. Rooms were outfitted with a funky yet tasteful decor. The bathroom was huge with a whirl pool tub and a big shower. I had nice views of the city skyline. The hotel has a few cars on standby to drive you around if you need. They provided all the business essentials like room service, morning papers, etc. Check-in/out was seamless, no problems. Staff was very sharp and attentive, even at 5:30 am when I checked out.

In all, a great experience and I would go back. I would recommend it to anyone except families.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank GreenwichMan
Corpus Christi Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2008

My husband stayed there for 3 days and it was beautiful the service was wonderful, I have nothing but kudos for this fine hotels I could not have asked for anything else it was all I imagined and more. It is the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Oh and the shower is huge with water coming from the walls and the ceiling like rain. Theroom service is there before you can hang up the phone. It was a force to leave the room and sight see. We paid $129.00 a night. There is a wonderful jazz club across the street call Red Cat Jazz and it has awesome live jazz.

• Liked — The hotel appearance, staff, and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My husband and I just stayed at Hotel Icon for 4 nights mid-week. We booked through the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference site, since it was one of the conference hotels and had such good ratings on TripAdvisor.

We generally prefer the individuality and "funkiness" of boutique hotels over large chains, and the Hotel Icon delivered with a great deal of charm. By modern standards, some might consider the decor garish, but we thought the blending of Victorian and modern was fun and interesting.

The 2 breakfasts that we had we good - especially the Icon Breakfast in the dining room. The wireless connectivity was good too - this can sometimes be an issue with so many conference attendees on at the same time. Comfy bed and well-appointed bedroom and bath too.

Our only complaint was the spotty service. The staff was friendly and helpful, but - on our last night there, when we had a 5:50 am plane to catch - our wake-up call AND our town car never materialized. We'd talked to the bell captain about this the night before, tipped him, and assumed that it was taken care of. Luckily, we had enough reason to doubt (from several other issues with the front desk and room service in particular) that we set our alarm and went down to the front desk to check on the car. They were able to get a cab quickly (the bell captain recommmended a town car because "the cabs here are unreliable).

• Liked — Historic building and funky decor
  • Disliked — Spotty service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
mdac
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed for five nights in June at Hotel Icon. Loved the architecture, lobby decor, 'converted old bank' look, bar area, overall color scheme theme, room size and decor, bathroom size, everything. Very hip and stylish. Sophisticated but not stuffy or pretentious. Staff were always helpful. The concierge Gilbert went out of his way to give us a superior room for the cheaper deluxe rate for the last night when we realized that the deluxe room we reserved had a whirpool tub but not with the jet streamers you'd find in a jacuzzi -- the superior room had the jacuzzi.

Staff behind the bar were professional yet approachable and friendly. Breakfast was good, coffee was decent, OJ seemed fresh squeezed. Came to our room on two occasions in the afternoon and found the bed not made but 1.) we had left the room late both times and 2.) they sent someone up to take care of it when we requested it. Also, we had an issue with the toilet at one point (it wasn't flushing) but, again, they resolved it promptly. Nothing that would warrant demerits from us.

Location is good since it's right off of Main Street where there are several restaurants (check out Yatra for Indian) and bars (La Carafe is in one of the oldest buildings in Houston if not the oldest; not on Main Street but about a block away). However, we mostly drove while in Houston; I would recommend having a car for sure if staying at the hotel.

All in all, staying at Icon was an ideal experience, and we can sincerely say that we wouldn't have enjoyed our visit to Houston as much if we stayed anywhere else...and from what I've seen and heard there's no other place in Houston quite like Hotel Icon.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Delaware
Reviewed June 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Icon June 4 - 8, 2008. The architecture of the hotel was amazing! Our room was very clean and beautifully decorated. All of the staff were friendly, professional, and very helpful. We ate at Voice one night, and our meal was very, very good. My husband claimed it was the best steak he ever had! Most of the nights we had a drink or two at the hotel bar, and enjoyed fast, friendly service there as well.

It is worth mentioning that there was a large wedding at the hotel the weekend that we stayed, and they were booked to capacity, yet the service we received remained outstanding.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business