Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$88
$67
CrownePlaza.com
$81
$76
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $116/night.

$227
$227
$128
Official Site
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $162/night.

$200
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $239/night.

$179
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $200/night.

1,326 results
All reviewsbank buildingdowntown houstonvault doorjetted tubfront deskrain showerbeautiful hotellarge showerthe penthousemetro railbars and restaurantslight railroom servicecorner roomvalet parkingmarriott propertymini bar
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

The Icon is a converted bank building and offers a unique-enough experience for visitors. My room was spacious enough for a couch, armchair and bench at the foot of the king bed. The bed did leave something to be desired, but the bathroom was very nice, with both a soaking tub an standing shower.

The gym was a very good hotel gym, despite being located underground . I like natural light, which it lacked, but it had ample, up-to-date equipment and a fair amount of variety.

The hotel is located right outside a light rail stop, so for $1.25, you can take a 15 minute ride to the museum district and Herman Park.

I thought the restaurant was very average, with dishes lacking imagination. But the service was quick and friendly. In fact, the service from everyone in the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our stay was pretty awesome; from the moment we checked in up until check out. Absolutely no complaints!

When we checked in, we were greeted by a friendly and charismatic gentleman that left a great impression on us. He explained that he hoped we would enjoy our first stay at the Hotel Icon so he upgraded us from a standard king to a junior suite. Additionally, the valet staff and doormen were attentive from the get-go. This made for an easy transition from the lobby to the suite.

Once in the suite, we took notice of the spacious room which had a bathroom with double vanity sinks, stand alone shower, and whirlpool tub. The sleeping/living space provided ample room to be comfortable. Our bed was also comfortable and clean which is something we always enjoy!

Regrettably, we did not have a chance to try the bar or restaurant that is located in the hotel lobby. However, we anticipate we'll return on another in-town vacation and take advantage. We will also bring a better camera to take pictures of the historical & beautiful hotel and facilities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the Presidential Suite at this hotel. The two story suite was elegant and understated. Quality over flash. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Like an old, fine New York hotel. The entire hotel staff was friendly, helpful and attentive, from room service to housekeeping to bellmen and valets. We will go back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I think I love everything about the Hotel Icon. I came in for two nights for a business trip and really didn't want to leave. The room was large, much larger than my expectations, and extremely comfortable. I especially loved the bathroom, with it's oversized tub and separate stand up shower.

The staff was excellent, very helpful, and courteous. When I received my bill, I noticed I had been charged an extra night for parking and before I could even question it at check out, I was informed that the charge had been removed. After getting in late one evening, I asked for Ice to be sent to my room, and the guy was waiting for me at my door before I even made it to my floor.

The location is perfect. Great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance from the hotel, many just across the street, and if a quiet night in is what you are looking for, I had a great beer at the hotel bar for only $5. I was expecting to pay at least $8.

The only downside... parking was expensive at $28 a night.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Hotel Icon is part of the newish Autograph Collection by Marriott. In some ways, this hotel fits into that group. It is unique. But it lacks the truly iconic quality that say the Alconquin in New York City or the Brown Palace in Denver has. It is not an "old hotel" renovated to modern splendor but rather a converted building. The room I had was on an upper floor, and considered to be superior, but was rather small by comparison to luxury accomodations (although the rooms at the Alconquin can be tiny or, as they call them, cozy.)

The location is near the theater district and the law courts. It may be convenient for some, especially those who have business with the law courts. As a downtown location, it is also in an area with a lot of panhandlers asking for 50 cents. This can be a little offputting at night especially if you are walking to the symphony or the Alley theater.

In my stay, the best thing was dinner at the Line and Lariat. We arrived late (almost 10 p.m. which is when the kitchen takes it last order) but were greeted by a friendly and helpful server. The food was a delicious surprise. I had the heirloom tomato salad which was nothing short of sensational and the crab cake which was the best ever, including many eaten in Maryland, Boston, etc. My friend ordered the salmon special which was, in my view, merely good--although perhaps I would have thought better of it had it not been sitting next to my own truly sensational dinner. Our total bill with wine was a little under $100. I would come back here for a meal on its own--although I would want to know about parking and charges for that if you are just eating at the restaurant.

The charge for parking overnight as a guest is over $30 with taxes. Houston also has very high taxes on hotel rooms--so your special rate that started at $150 (weekend special) can easily top $225 after everything is added in.

Nevertheless, I liked the Hotel Icon and would consider coming back under the right circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends