Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
1,275 results
All reviewsbank buildingdowntown houstonvault doorjetted tubfront deskbeautiful hotelrain showerlarge showerthe penthousebars and restaurantsmetro raillight railroom servicecorner roommarriott propertyvalet parkingthe theater district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the Presidential Suite at this hotel. The two story suite was elegant and understated. Quality over flash. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Like an old, fine New York hotel. The entire hotel staff was friendly, helpful and attentive, from room service to housekeeping to bellmen and valets. We will go back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I think I love everything about the Hotel Icon. I came in for two nights for a business trip and really didn't want to leave. The room was large, much larger than my expectations, and extremely comfortable. I especially loved the bathroom, with it's oversized tub and separate stand up shower.

The staff was excellent, very helpful, and courteous. When I received my bill, I noticed I had been charged an extra night for parking and before I could even question it at check out, I was informed that the charge had been removed. After getting in late one evening, I asked for Ice to be sent to my room, and the guy was waiting for me at my door before I even made it to my floor.

The location is perfect. Great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance from the hotel, many just across the street, and if a quiet night in is what you are looking for, I had a great beer at the hotel bar for only $5. I was expecting to pay at least $8.

The only downside... parking was expensive at $28 a night.

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Hotel Icon is part of the newish Autograph Collection by Marriott. In some ways, this hotel fits into that group. It is unique. But it lacks the truly iconic quality that say the Alconquin in New York City or the Brown Palace in Denver has. It is not an "old hotel" renovated to modern splendor but rather a converted building. The room I had was on an upper floor, and considered to be superior, but was rather small by comparison to luxury accomodations (although the rooms at the Alconquin can be tiny or, as they call them, cozy.)

The location is near the theater district and the law courts. It may be convenient for some, especially those who have business with the law courts. As a downtown location, it is also in an area with a lot of panhandlers asking for 50 cents. This can be a little offputting at night especially if you are walking to the symphony or the Alley theater.

In my stay, the best thing was dinner at the Line and Lariat. We arrived late (almost 10 p.m. which is when the kitchen takes it last order) but were greeted by a friendly and helpful server. The food was a delicious surprise. I had the heirloom tomato salad which was nothing short of sensational and the crab cake which was the best ever, including many eaten in Maryland, Boston, etc. My friend ordered the salmon special which was, in my view, merely good--although perhaps I would have thought better of it had it not been sitting next to my own truly sensational dinner. Our total bill with wine was a little under $100. I would come back here for a meal on its own--although I would want to know about parking and charges for that if you are just eating at the restaurant.

The charge for parking overnight as a guest is over $30 with taxes. Houston also has very high taxes on hotel rooms--so your special rate that started at $150 (weekend special) can easily top $225 after everything is added in.

Nevertheless, I liked the Hotel Icon and would consider coming back under the right circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2013

this was a one night stay. we were in Houston to run the Marathon. the staff was great, everyone help with making it a great weekend. My sister and her husband also stayed here. The lobby bar was excellent. good bartender!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a very nice stay. Room is clean with all the amentities - flat screen TV, in-room safe & large closet. We had 2 queen beds with a wet bar. Bed is comfy. No street noise. Free Wifi. Decor in room is nice & has high ceiling. Bathroom has a shower & nice tub. Plenty room in the bathroom. Staff are friendly. Had breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant. Good food with fresh fruits. Price is reasonable - $10.99. Close to bus stops & metro station - Preston. Walked few blocks to catch the bus to Space Centre #249 for $2.00 each way. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room with city view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family