“Impressive”

Ranked #21 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Omaha, Nebraska
“Impressive”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Icon in Houston on Septemeber 24th after returning from our awesome seven day cruise. We had used an outside agency to reserve a room somewhere downtown. Our bid landed us here, I feared the worse and was kicking myself for using the service. However I must say the Hotel greatly proved me wrong. The Icon Hotel is in great shape and even coming from a mans point of view somewhat beautiful. Probably one of the best hotel's I've stayed in, in a long time. Great service, great accommodations. The only draw back I found was parking. I've learned that overnight parking in downtown houston is outragous. However I was not pleased with the charge of $30 to park. I took the risk with a rental car and did street parking and switched to a private lot in the am for $6.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtney B, Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear C B,

Thank you for choosing to cap off your week-long vacation with your wife by staying with the Hotel ICON family. Our team appreciates your feedback and loves to hear that we made your stay memorable. We'll be waiting for you when your travels bring you back through Houston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Washington DC
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Hotel Icon is a well-designed hotel built in a former and historic bank building. The entry and lobby bar look both swanky and comfortable, and the bar cocktails are creative and well-made. My tenth floor room was spacious with large windows, a large desk and king size bed. The bathroom was equally large, with both soaking tub and shower. I appreciated some of the small details, like the reading lights on either side of the bed, free newspapers in the lobby, and ample towels in the bathroom. Only two small detractors to the room - the wifi signal was very weak, and the bathroom fixtures were a little worn. Otherwise the room was comfortable and well designed.

The hotel does offer a free shuttle to and from most downtown locations, which was very convenient since the property is on the edge of downtown and there isn't a ton to see or do in walking distance. The light rail runs right past the hotel, and while it's an easy connection on the rail to the museum district, the one rail line doesn't connect to much else.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear thinktankjp,

Thank you for your review of Hotel ICON. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent visit. We are actually the only downtown hotel located directly on the 7.5 mile Light Rail line. The line will take you through the Central Business District, Theatre and Museum District, Houston Zoo, Children's Museum, Houston's expansive Medical Center and all the way down to Reliant Stadium and Center for the Houston Texan games and annual Nutcracker Market. For the few blocks on either side of the rail line, our shuttle is always happy to provide service. See you next time!
Gilroy, California, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I picked this hotel because we were staying for 3 nights and I wanted something comfortable and good decor. Not just a basic room. We also had tickets to see Oprah at the hobby performance center so we needed something in that area. Upon check in everyone was really helpful and nice. I booked one night on my credit card points and then the other 2 nights cash. We get the keys and get up to our room and it was right next to the elevator. We walk in the room and all we can hear is the dinging of the elevator and people getting on and off. We went back down and requested another room. They said it was because we booked through points that we didn't get a very good room. We then requested an upgrade which they gave us for an extra $15 a night. The only reason I write this is because if you book there cheapest room this is what you will get.

The good things are the room decor is awesome and my mom and I loved the bathroom because it was big with counter space for all of our makeup and curling irons. The bed was really comfortable and clean rooms. The other great thing is they offer a free shuttle to take you around downtown area. It will pick you up and take you anywhere you want to go. The breakfast buffet was really good. The location is one block from metrorail. Overall really nice property in good location. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Rita, Erica, Maktar and Al are just a few of the reasons I feel the Icon is the best. It is a beautiful hotel with all the luxeries and more that is expected of a high end hotel but the outstanding customer service and the individual attention is what keeps me coming back. Everyone makes you feel like a VIP. Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Momarabie,

Thank you for taking time to mention a few of Hotel ICON's outstanding team members! They had huge smiles on their faces when they saw your comments and praise. They love being recognized for going above and beyond our guests' expectations. We look forward to your next visit.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary in 2007 and 2012. Our first experience was excellent and the staff treated us like royalty. At that time, they had a cute little London cab that shuttled you to downtown destinations and staff all around ready to help. We stayed on a Friday and could see the Friday night fireworks at the Astros game from our window. On our second stay (now under different management), the rooms are the same but there is far less staff to assist with bags or other things. We really like to uniqueness of the building's history and the decor is beautiful. The rooms are very nice and feel more romantic than a typical hotel room. Overall, we would definitely return and have recommended to friends & family.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracie S,

Hotel ICON is honored that you are celebrating so many personal special occasions with our family. Happy Anniversary! We just cleaned up the old London cab and now have it displayed in the guest entrance so please come back soon to check it out - it looks great!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My stay with the Hotel ICON was very good. The interior of the hotel was beautiful. It had a unique level of early 20th Century luxury. The details of the hotel were exquisite. Some dating as far back as 1911. The streetcars moving about gave you the feel of San Francisco without the hills. I would also like to mention a few things in particular that I noticed but are not reasons to not stay at this hotel: (1) None of the staff, i.e. front desk, valet, concierge...etc. I encountered had on name badges; therefore, I could not address them by name or single anyone out for providing good service; (2) I did not like not having easy access to ice. You had to call the front desk for ice; (3) The hotel did not have a gift shop on site. I have a tradition of sending post cards from places I've visited and getting "shot glasses" for family and friends. Unfortunately, I had to venture out to get these items. It would have been convenient to purchase them from the hotel gift shop. Overall, my experience at this hotel was very, very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others traveling to this area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sharon f, Manager at Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you can return soon.

Sharon Fuller
Fresno, California, United States
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Truth is I was a lit apprehensive to stay here when I read the other reviews of it being out of date. The room I got (splurge for the Jacuzzi) was gorgeous. I really like super modern "W" like hotels but this was a very satisfying substitute. Yes, there are some more vintage parts of it but it makes it stylish not a creepy "red rum redrum" type of place.

The staff were great...the valet and shuttle guys were very responsive, the bartender was very nice and made you fee comfortable to a be a girl alone at the bar. And Erica, Miss Erica...was a gem! She was part smiling and lovely front desk expert, concierge, and restaurant critic. The other front desk staff were just as helpful when I talked to them but Erica seems to be there all of the time so make sure to ask for her. I made several (daily) special requests and they were on it.

I did not use the spa so can't comment on that. I had the breakfast every day which was good. The rest of food from room service to lunch and appetizers was fair to good (although DO NOT have the gumbo).

I would say this area of downtown is the best for short stays. there are enough restaurants to walk to in pinch and you will be happy with them. But take the hotel up on the shuttle and explore downtown for some of the excellent restaurants that are more than a mile. The shuttle is very usefull, just don't count on it to be readily available if you need to be somewhere asap because they are super busy.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi and high room (not by the elevator)