Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
$210
$134
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$85
$79
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $89/night.

Free cancellation until 05/30
$181
$161
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $210/night.

$219
$209
$98
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $129/night.

$242
$149
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of $215/night.

$179
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $205/night.

$161
$239
$209
$139
$105
galahotels.com
1,287 results
All reviewsbank buildingdowntown houstonvault doorjetted tubfront deskbeautiful hotelrain showerlarge showerthe penthousebars and restaurantsmetro raillight railroom servicecorner roommarriott propertyvalet parkingthe theater district
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here for the international quilt festival. The host hotels were all booked, and I'm so glad because I got to stay here!!! I love the theme of the hotel. You have to love staying at a place with a story. This building used to be a bank a century ago. The vault behind the main desk and the luxurious lobby sets the tone as soon as you arrive. I stayed in a room with a jetted tub that was totally worth the extra money. I was staying by myself, but the niceness of the room makes it totally honeymoon worthy. Giant tub that you can see from the bed (or close the shutters if you want privacy) and giant glass shower...beautiful view of the city.

I had an issue with figuring out how to work the tub the first night because there are two faucets...one that fills the tub quickly and a handheld one to rinse off with. I couldn't figure out how to switch between them, so I called the front desk to see if they knew. They sent someone to my room in literally a couple minutes. They must have a handyman on call because this guy showed up with a whole tool chest ready to go to work, but he showed me how to work the faucets and that tub was FABULOUS!!! I had another issue later in my stay (I was there five days) with the key to my room. It was demagnitized by the convention center (no fault to the hotel). The hotel elevators are secured by your room key...you have to use your room key to move between floors. So it wouldn't let me move the elevator. I was only on the elevator about 30 seconds and was getting ready to go to the front desk to get a new key when a manager stepped on the elevator and asked if I needed assistance. I told him what happened and he escorted me to my room, opened my door, and sent someone up with a key a couple minutes later!!! Needless to say, I was highly impressed with the customer service.

There are bulls and cows subtly strewn throughout the hotel decor. I loved this feature because my hubby and I have inside jokes about cows. If you don't like it, it is subtle... and it's Texas, so it fits whether you like it or not.

I also workout regularly so I did use the fitness center a few times. It's actually underneath the hotel so you go through the spa to get there. There are free headphones for you to use, clean rolled towels, and all the essential equipment for your workout....really stylish red equipment and all the walls were brick and there was really nice overhead lighting.

I also used the transportation service regularly to get back and forth from the convention center. You go to the valet area to ask for a ride and they give you a business card to call them to pick you up. They can get busy around the main rush hours, but I never waited longer than 15 minutes which is praiseworthy in my opinion for downtown Houston.

Finally, I used the restaurant for several meals, both breakfast and dinner. I thought the food was FANTASTIC. Very original but not so out there that there's no way I'd touch it. They have a shrimp and crab meat salad there that is amazing, and my very first breakfast was a heaping plate of vanilla french toast topped with toasted nuts and powdered sugar and served with maple syrup on the side and a bowl of bananas...all for about $10...hungry? :) YUM!

So, I know some people on here complain about the wait for the free (I repeat, FREE) transportation (that goes all over downtown Houston if I forgot to mention that), the cow decor, and whatever else...maybe I'm too middle class to understand complaints like that, but my overall assessment--I think this place ROCKS!!!

Room Tip: Get the room with the jetted tub...especially if you're going to have long days around town on either business or pleasure. Totally worth it!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Julzmyster
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I travel to Houston fairly often on business. If I have appointments downtown I stay at this property. Wonderful transformation of an old bank. The rooms are good sized and well appointed. Right on the tram line to uptown, the hospital district and beyond. Walking distance to Astros games. Only one minor negative: sometimes the service is hit or miss.
That aside this is my home away from home when I'm downtown Houston.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ackee
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I recently had the great fortune to stay at the Hotel Icon in Houston. Even though I've stayed in many, many hotels here and overseas this property is memorable in many ways. First of all, from the second the doorman welcomes you to the guest services offered by wonderful Rita, you will be delighted, amazed and very glad you are there.

The rooms are nearly all individually decorated; mine came complete with a marvelous large bathroom with a huge shower and tub. Naturally they included a rubber ducky to keep me company.

While their dining room is rather small (the hotel was a former bank!) food is terrific, especially breakfast. So, my traveling friends, when you are heading to Houston for business or pleasure let the wonderful folks at the Hotel Icon show you what Texas hospitality is really like!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bill L
Reviewed November 19, 2011

When I checked-in to the hotel, I noticed the vault behind the desk.....the hotel is in an old bank. The atmosphere and the decor are very inviting. The bar is right off the lobby; the selections of wine by the glass very vast. The room I had was very spacious and had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The hallway and rooms were very nicely decorated - and had a wonderful color scheme - black and red. The fitness center was well equipped and has nice equipment. This is a hotel I will stay at again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bchalonergill
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This review should really be seperated into two parts...impressions of the hotel, which are overwhelmingly positive and perceptions of downtown Houston which are not, generally speaking, at all positive.

Anyway, the hotel can be recommended in all of the areas highlighted in Trip Advisor's ratings section.
Service: Difficult to fault, though I'll admit that I'm not the most demanding traveller as I rarely use room service or other hotel services. My rating is based on attitudes toward me as a single traveller and in this respect they pass with flying colors. Staff, particularly the staff serving breakfast, were truly friendly and welcoming. They seemed happy to chat when they had time and to talk about their city.
Value: Comfortable kingsize bed with decent pillows, huge bathroom with Jacuzzi bath and seperate, large walk-in shower. Large flatscreen TV with 50 channels and additional options on ppv. Comfortable seating area and decorated in a manner that wasn't the normal bland and dull neutrality offered by large chains. Best part...less than £100 per night. Fantastic.
Sleep Quality: Very comfortable. Quiet room. Couldn't have asked for more.
Cleanliness: Rooms were well maintained and I couldn't complain about the standard of cleaning.
Location: Here's the negative. Downtown Houston has been hit badly by the recession. Even though there is evidence of work to revitalise downtown, much needs to be finished. Restaurants are closing or closed, shopping is very poor and after 6pm, the area is taken over by the homeless and mentally ill. Facilities in walking distance are poor. Even Macy's in this area felt depressing and I stayed in Houston with only a few weeks till Christmas and a week before Thanksgiving.
Rooms: As detailed in value, above. Fantastic.
To summarize...I would jump at a chance to stay here again if it was in New York, Chicago or any other city, however it's doubtful that I'll be back in Houston. Sadly

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo