“A savory "iconic" experience.”

Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection
Ranked #22 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Icon in downtown Houston last weekend and really enjoyed it. The hotel has a 20s-30s luxury to it, which I found quite charming. We ordinarily prefer more contemporary hotels, but this was a refreshing escape. It felt like we were guests at the Hearst mansion. The service was attentive, room details and amenities were well appointed, and the king bed was very comfortable. I did call to confirm everything since I had purchased the room through a travel site and was glad I did. The standard was a double, which my husband and I had not slept on in 20+ years. Even with the upgrades though, king, then superior, the cost was still below the published standard. If you're in Houston, try this one on, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaVsLeagueCity_Texas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I have made several trips to Houston this year for different events and because we have friends that live there. On each visit, we have stayed in a different hotel, never quite finding the right location or atmosphere to fit our lifestyle, but Hotel Icon fit the bill in all respects. (We are in our 30s and still like to go out to dinner and drinks but are not what you would consider big partiers.) We liked the downtown location because we could make just a short walk to find dinner or a place to have drinks. (I recommend Hearsay Gastro Lounge for a good time if you like to try interesting drinks.) The hotel was close to the ballpark where we enjoyed a game but we didn't even have to walk because the hotel provided complimentary transportation. The inside of the hotel is really cool - it used to be a bank back in the day - and its modern and hip decor compliments the classical architecture and old school finishes. I can't speak to the everyday value of the hotel but we stayed there over July 4th weekend and we got a huge room with a gigantic shower on the penthouse floor for a VERY reasonable price (I dare say cheap!) We also ordered room service and got very good service. The only negative that I have to share is that housekeeping didn't clean our room one day, but that is probably because we didn't leave our room until after 11am. I'm sure we could have called the front desk to request it but we got back to our room pretty late in the evening and just decided to let it go. Also, parking isn't necessarily overpriced for the area, but if you decide to park with the hotel, the only option is valet. Valet service was expedient though - we would call a few minutes before leaving the room and our car would be there waiting for us. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel and I feel confident we will be staying there on our next trip to Houston!

Room Tip: We booked directly through Hotel Icon's website and got a book in advance discount
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dreampod21
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel. The hotel theme was cool, it is an old bank. The hotel had the antique look form the 20’s & 30’s. I got the hotel at a very good price. If I had paid more there would have been a problem. The first problem was the parking. You can pay $28 a day for hotel parking or park at your own risk on the street. The hotel staff was not very honest on the time when the meters start charging. They start at 7 am not at 6 AM. I parked at a meter the entire time and spent a total of $5 for a 2 day stay. There is no other parking near this hotel besides the meters and the $28 a day valet. The other problem with this hotel is it is under construction currently. I came back for lunch one day to rest for a minute and you could hear the banging and the machinery. This did not happen in the evening. All in all it is a decent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank SABoy
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Stayed as part of a wedding block. Even with the discount the price was a bit high. The decor throughout the hotel is tastefully done, however dark. The beds were wonderful as well as the shower. The hotel bar was a wonderful place to end the night, and the staff didn't even mind how late our party would stick around. The reception staff was helpful in giving restaurant and shopping information.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank somedayTravels
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Really good service, friendly staff, enjoyed watching the Stanley Cup final in the lounge (not bad in Texas!). A bit of a dodgy neighborhood at night, good lounges and restaurants nearby.

Room was nice, big, quiet and cool. Hotel was cool...historical decor, strong colors and patterns in carpet and wall treatment...it is definately not your local Super 8. Restaurant and lounge were good, not overpriced, and good service...my #1 complaint, no breakfast until after 730am. This is terrible for business travellers. If you think there is something nearby that is open...NO. Houston in the early morning is closed for business.

Parking is expensive (~$25/day).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2011

had about a dozen rooms for wedding a block away. valet staff is extremely helpful, took us to dinner, the ceremony, reception, multiple trips to each. great location. fantastic lobby, fun bar. we hung out until 3 am and the staff had no problem with it even though we were a large, somewhat rowdy bunch.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne R
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed here after the Rihanna concert and made dinner reservations too and I could not have picked a better hotel.

This hotel is beautiful. Everything about out is convenient. I love the location, I am fairly young and there were alot of bars in the area and driving distance o other locations wasn't long at all. Coming back I was surprised to see people still at the lounge bar around 2am!

VOICE is delicious, great service. Kevin (manager I believe), is extremely caring and checked up on us multiple times, our severs michael and lisa were super nice and had thoughtful insight on our orders.

Rooms are nicely decorated, I love the hallways and the red doors. Very nice boutique hotel. I stayed in a superior w jacuzzi and that bathroom was my favorite part. I loved it.

Stay here for a night out or a special occasion!

• Stayed: July 2011