“Beautiful Building”

Ranked #24 of 517 Hotels in Houston
London
“Beautiful Building”
Reviewed October 28, 2007

The Icon is located in an old bank building in Downtown Houston and has retained much of it's historical charm.

After reading reviews re the noisy location I requested a quiet room and was situated on the 10th floor. I can honestly say I never heard any noise disturbance during my stay.

The room was compact and quite dark but comfortable for my 4 night stay and the bathroom with it's huge walk in shower was great.

I never ate in the restaurant but did have a sneaky cocktail in the Whiskey Bar which was hotel pricey but enjoyable!

• Liked — Great Shower!
  • Disliked — Dark Room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed September 15, 2007

The hotel is very elegant. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The bathroom and shower were out of this world, huge.
The only pitfall was the downtown nightlife waking me up around 2 and 3 in the morning. Probably best to visit during week, I would imagine. For the money, this hotel was worth it.

• Liked — cleanlines, historical value
  • Disliked — very loud nightlife
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kkaddington
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This is a nice hotel.

I just needed a room near Minute Maid Park for one night (in town to see Astros Sat. afternoon and Sunday as well), and found a great rate on the Net for the Icon. The rooms, furnishings, linens, etc. are plush, and the public areas in this former bank building are airy and pleasant. As a previous reviewer noted, the bathrooms are impressive. I prefer the shower to the bath almost exclusively, but that huge elevated tub was extremely inviting.

MMP is walking distance for most. If it's too hot or you simply are unwilling or unable to cover the distance on foot, the hotel will drive you to the ballpark. Valet parking is too expensive, but they graciously allowed me to leave my car in their lot after I had checked out on Sunday, sparing me the inconvenience of loading up the car, driving 4 blocks to pay $20 to park outside the game, etc.

I would stay here in a heartbeat at the discounted rate (a little over $150/night). I can't afford the $200+ they usually get, but if that's your norm, your money will be well spent here.

My only quibble is with the bar. I inquired about red wine by the glass and the bartender poured what to my knowledge was their only option. It was blend of some sort and it was certainly adequate. Unfortunately, as I later discovered, it was also $14/glass. I have had $14/glass wine plenty of times, and this wasn't all that. A bar menu w/prices might be useful . . .

• Liked — Staff; general ambiance
  • Disliked — expensive bar
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2007

This is an amazing hotel. The downstairs lobby is so plush and original with the bookshelves, desks and old bank vault. The rooms are great and the bathroom was my favorite part. A huge tub and a separate shower w/ a great shower head. Just be aware that not all bathrooms have a tub, so if you want to relax in a bubble bath, make sure you ask ahead of time for a room with a full bathroom.

• Liked — nice room
  • Disliked — had to change rooms a few times to get everything we wanted
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lmhendrix
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 19, 2007

The Hotel Icon was overbooked and sent me packing, even with a "guaranteed" reservation, at 1am.

Ok. I know this can happen. But as a business traveler, traveling all day and jet lagged, getting to a hotel at a wee hour with an early morning appointment, I cannot forgive being told that "We have no rooms." They shouldn't have taken my guaranteed reservation. Instead, they overbooked and put someone else in ahead of me.

If you are intent on staying here and are arriving late, good luck. For me, never again. There are plenty of nice hotels in the same area, for the same price or better. They will have my custom, but not the Icon.

• Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank Mblaca
Reviewed March 11, 2007

This is an excellent hotel. Our room was fabulous - the bathroom was the size of a hotel room on its own - with a jetted jacuzzi tub and full shower. The bed was wonderfully comfortable. The gym was astoundingly well equipped. The staff was polite and courteous at every turn. They also have a great bar.

A few concerns - the street noise is kind of ridiculous - I'm not sure what they can do about this or if certain rooms are more quiet. For instance - there is some sort of clock with a bell at the corner of Travis and Congress that starts ringing at 7am. Probably a plus for business travelers - but not for the weekend getaway I was on! You could also hear the MetroRail every time it went by - but on the plus side, it's only 150ft to the stop - so you can ride up and down town - like to the museum district or Reliant stadium. The second concern is the essentially mandatory valet parking, for $25 per night - which for my purposes was parking the car once and picking it up when we left; thank you, that will be $50 plus tip. You don't even need to drive since the hotel has an antique car and will drive you around within a certain radius. I know this probably discounts the room cost for a business traveler flying in and the hotel can charge whatever they want since there doesn't seem to be any alternative overnight parking anywhere nearby - but come on, $25? This isn't New York City - it's the north side of downtown Houston. Either build that charge into your room cost or get real.

Otherwise, it was a lovely hotel and I would certainly return.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank virgil_hilts
houston
Reviewed March 8, 2007

I suprised my husband for Christmas with a romantic night away. The room at the Hotel Icon was very romantic and the bathroom fabulous. We had good service at every stage. Our first room had an unusual odor and they changed our room immediately, even sending someone to retrieve a bottle of hairspray left in the original room very quickly. The decor is luxurious, the bed very comfortable and the television top notch. We would definitely return for a romantic night or two away from the kids.

• Liked — The decor in the room and bathroom
  • Disliked — The sound from the street below
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple