“A very large, beautiful hotel”

Hilton Americas - Houston
Ranked #7 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 16, 2013

It's pretty much what you'd expect from a Hilton, just bigger. Very nice, comfortable rooms, a beautiful lobby, and a convenient location. Try the Grove Restaurant right across the street. Drinks in the hotel bar are very expensive, as you might imagine. Breakfast at the coffee shop was not great. Avoid the parfaits. Parking is across the street. There is a skyway from the garage to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear DaytonDave,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston and recognizing the service our team we provided you during your stay with us.

We appreciate your business and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Americas - Houston

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Don't be roped into the convient location to George R. Brown Center. Valet not busy, ignored approx 7min. Husband unloaded our luggage. Head valet alerted, agreed on no charge for parking. Upon check out still on bill after,management confirmed via phone. Front desk staff inadequate. Housekeeping staff was friendly, rooms clean. The cafe staff were over the top with service. Management issue for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for a park view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear lalamoose64,

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay through TripAdvisor.

Our apology for the poor valet service you received and we have reviewed this with Ace Parking Management who we partner with on valet services. We have tried to reach your through the TripAdvisor messaging service in order to personally apologize. We certainly do not want any guest leaving feeling "jilted".

As you may read from other reviews, providing great service is very important to us and we will use your comments to improve.

Thank you for staying with us and again for your feedback. We do hope you give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Look no further. The staff at Hilton Americas are simply AMAZING! We celebrated our anniversary there recently and I have to tell you that from now on we will ONLY stay at this hotel. Jacques D'Rovencourt went above and beyond to insure our stay was perfect! Everyone that you passed that worked at the hotel greeted you with a hello and a smile. The shuttle drivers were SO friendly and it was so easy to travel back and forth using them. The valet was prompt! Great location! Our hotel room was just simply glorious! I am not an easy to please type of person, so take it from me if you're the same, you will LOVE the hotel and it's staff! Jacques D'Rovencourt you will be seeing us very soon simply because we enjoyed our stay THAT much! We can't wait to get back! Thank you!!! SM and JM

Room Tip: Choose a room if you can looking over Discovery Green! you will be able to see the stadiums also!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SHM2207
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Huge hotel. Good place if you're attending a sporting event. Very good customer service. One of the better Hilton properties for the price, especially enjoyed the breakfast options, bars, and on-site Starbucks. I would stay here again if I was doing business downtown.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear jas121475,

Thank you for recognizing the customer service we provide our guests. We value your business and look forward to your return.

We appreciate your recommendation.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Hilton Americas is a nice hotel in downtown Houston. The rooms are very clean and the hotel is attached to the George R Brown Convention Center which was a huge plus. The hotel has several amenities including but not limited to a restaurant, coffee shop, nice bar, and gym/spa. I wasn't able to make it to the gym due to time constraints but my wife had the opportunity to go and enjoyed the view from the treadmill as well as the lap pool. Overall, a very nice stay and will definitely go back if I'm ever in downtown Houston.

Dear RGainspoletti,

Thank you for sharing your nice stay with other to read on TripAdvisor.

We value your business and look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

After I was informed that the hotel chosen by my company for us to stay in Houston was not so great but still had high prices, I requested my colleague to look for an alternate choice and then he picked the Hilton Americas. I had good (Qatar) and bad experiences (Ethiopia, Brazil) with this brand so I was willing to “give it a chance”. Hilton Americas is a huge building with hundreds of rooms located close to the city’s business center. I spent there 6 nights in a row and, as a business traveler, I was not so happy with many of the hotel features. However, before listing what was not OK, l must mention a few good things: employees try to help whenever necessary, always do it with a smile and there is a very convenient shuttle bus that brings you where you want (provided it is not farther than 2 miles away from the hotel and that the person sending the bus makes a little effort to understand where to pick you up). Besides these good points I was quite disappointed or astonished by certain things in the hotel. If you love the late 70s-early 80s this hotel is a fine place for you: brown and dark gold or copper colors everywhere, old fashion chandeliers, old style elevators, marble desk in rooms (very cold when you work on them – strange idea to imagine that working on a tombstone is an attractive feature) and chocolate carpets. Hotel entrance was decorated for Christmas time with an enormous chocolate Santa (looking more or less like Jabba the Hutt) accompanied by two hideous elves – also made of chocolate. Should you have young children who still cherish the traditional figure of Santa Claus, don’t bring them in or you may turn them into early readers of Stephen King’s novels. Above this horrific scene, you find a very modern – yet hard to define – 'piece of art”. It is between a battle of gigantic, fully colored, sperm cells and a gathering of glass painted inflated bladders. In a word, if you don’t like brown colors, get away from this hotel. Beyond the graveyard-style desk, the rooms themelves too look old-fashioned and shabby. There is one fridge but it is empty (you can fill it yourself if you want – there are vending machines on each floors but only with soft drinks) and, by a magical design, the fridge’s vent is connected to the wardrobe; remember this point if you don’t want to have your shirts and jackets perfumed with the fridge’s heat…Bed is comfortable but bed linen are not changed every day (every three day if I read correctly the paper left on the night stand). The room is naturally so dark (walls, carpet, furniture, limited direct sun light) that it offers more of funeral parlor than of a lively place. Room designers may have tried to offset a little bit this grievance atmosphere by hanging ugly paintings, certainly obtained during a charity yard sales. Bathroom is not equipped with a flexible shower hose which makes it quite inconvenient to wash completely and properly; moreover there are no glass or plastic cups provided. Fortunately there are some available on the fridge but I don’t think they were intended to end as toothbrush holders…Don’t expect to find any additional accessories in the bathroom drawer (except toilet paper and a hairdryer). If you need to have a laundry service, don’t ask the employees at the main desk to have your bag of clothes picked-up from your room (nothing will happen –you’ll find your bag where you left it in the morning when returning to your room in the evening), instead bring it directly to the bell captain and you’ll get it returned the same evening. If they forget to give you another laundry bag and the adequate form (and most probably they will – I have this experience in every Hilton I have been in), just go downstairs and ask the bell captain. If you are a Hilton Honors gold member (or above) you’ll enjoy a free (and fast) internet access but if you are not you’ll have to pay a hefty 15US$/day to access your favorite websites (this seems to me very petty and backwards as most of the hotels I have been in consider it as a complimentary service). As for the restaurant I took my breakfast on the 19th floor at the executive floor and it was just OK, nothing great to remember, except that it was often crowdy. I experienced once the Cafe and it was also acceptable, the average quality of food being balanced by the nice service and the smiles. My colleague had a different experience and reported that food quality was rather poor.
If I have to come again in Houston I am not sure I’ll pick up this place but having been told that other local hotels are much worse, I am not sure I want to be back at all…Or am I too demanding ?

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Alexandre J,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with others on TripAdvisor including the very good ratings you provided on service and sleep quality.

Our special chocolate holiday display has been very well received by our guests and their children. We were also featured on the local news for the craftsmanship and hard work that went into such a great display. We are sorry you were so disturbed by such a festive holiday display.

Mr. Julienne, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Hilton Americas was a very large property with good amenities and service. In particular, the gym and pool are well sized and really decent compared to other hotels I've stayed in.

Having said that, nothing stood out as being exceptional, rather just everything was dependable, and worked as it should have. I paid a very high room rate for the hotel (there was a conference in town at the time I visited), but for this price I really would have expected a lot more "wow" for my money! Breakfast was complimentary on the Executive Floor, but this was fairly basic and not great compared to other american breakfasts I'd experienced.

I found Downtown Houston to be quieter than other big cities in the USA, so whilst the Hilton felt close to everything, you might want to pick your hotel based on what you are doing in the city or where you are visiting.

Room Tip: When I booked, a room with use of the executive lounge was only a little extra, so well worth it for...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear GazMan012,

Thank you for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor including that, for a little extra, our Executive Level rooms were worth the value for the additional amenities you received.

We are conveniently located next to the George R. Brown Convention Center (the only hotel in Houston connected to the George R. Brown Convention Center via two sky bridges), across the street from the Toyota Center (Home of the Houston Rockets and great concerts) and Discovery Green, close to Minute Maid Park (Home of the Houston Astros), a very short few blocks away from Greenstreet and the new BBVA Compass Stadium (Home of the Houston Dynamo). We are also not far from the museum and theater districts. We also offer complimentary shuttle service to all hotel guests from 6 am – 11 pm around the local area.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.