“Eco-friendly recognition from a grateful frequent traveler.”

Hilton Americas - Houston
Ranked #7 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I travel a lot. Maybe too much. One of my pet peeves is that almost every hotel SAYS they engage in ecology conserving activities (such as washing towels every 3 days versus daily) but virtually NONE OF THEM do it.
I didn't expect this trip to be any different. This is a huge hotel near the convention center, and is more expensive than what I would pay for personal travel, but with convention negotiated prices I was able to spend nearly a week at this hotel.
The hotel has a recycling program, offering trash and recyclable collection in each room. The convention center even collects compostable materials (many of which appear to be plastic these days).
I had a great stay and wanted to thank the hotel for NOT washing the towels and sheets daily. I believe this is one of the many ways frequent travelers should try to minimize their impact on the environment.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear G G,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor.

As a Green Seal certified hotel, we take our responsibility of being respectful of our environment and sustainability very seriously. We appreciate your recognition.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel was grand. Everything about it was grand from the size of the lobby bar, to the amount of rooms per floor, to the conference space, to the executive lounge, to the top notch gym, rooftop pool and rooftop lounge area. This place was one of the best Hiltons I have ever stayed in. The bedroom was more than enough space with a very comfortable bed. The only flaw that I found in this hotel was that the wi-fi was terrible at best. I did not try the hardline, since I had my iPad, but my coworker said it was much better. I was very impressed by the concierge service and the shuttle service. The shuttle even took us to and from one of the local establishments several miles away. It was not purely an airport shuttle.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank MD_Crofton
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Dear MD_Crofton,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas – Houston experience on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your feedback on all aspects of your stay including our wireless internet service. We apologize that the wireless internet service did not work well during your stay and we are currently improving our system. We hope to have a much better wireless internet infrastructure in place very soon.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the rest of your stay. This is the guest experience we strive to provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

First visit to downtown Houston hotel. Was expecting typical convention hotel--slightly dated, rundown etc. Pleasantly surprised. Stay started with 30-second check in. Room extremely clean. Restaurant food very good, service very attentive. Check out another 30-seconds. Then when I thought I'd need to get a cab to office, hotel offered free downtown shuttle. If I'm in downtown Houston again, I'll stay at the Hilton Americas.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Dear Texan5649,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Houston experience on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your feedback especially coming from a Senior Contributor and well traveled individual such as yourself.

Thank you for recognizing our Front Desk team with a speedy check in/out process, our extremely clean rooms and our restaurants.

Your recommendation is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I've stayed here a few times for work and have had impeccable service, comfort and amenities. Room service is quick, though not cheap. The lounge/bar is relaxing and comfortable to spend time with coworkers. There are many restaurants within walking distance, Minute Maid stadium is right down the street and the fitness center is larger than most hotel exercise closets you see. I didn't go to the pool but heard it was great as well. You won't be disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Dear byersfam4,

Thank you for your recommendation of the Hilton Americas-Houston.

Just a few days ago we enhanced our fitness center with new equipment so it just got even better.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The location is excellent - especially if attending a conference at the GRB. The hotel certainly believes that it is very good; the manager leaves a message in each room referring to attention to detail. But that is the problem. For such a "grand" and expensive hotel the details are absent. Polystyrene cups; limited supply of tea; no shoe cleaning supplies; no sewing kit; no mouth wash; modestly sized t.v; and furniture starting to look chipped and worn. I tried to get my room safe fixed but, in the end, gave up. And, inevitably, relatively high charge for parking; high daily charge for internet; and tax-upon-tax-upon-tax so that the final bill was considerably more than expected. On the positive side, the rooms were spacious and the bed was comfortable. Also no problem with the public areas.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear David B,

We are sorry for your disappointment in your stay at the Hilton Americas-Houston.

Our guest services hotline is available 24 hours a day and fulfills our guests requests in a timely manner including providing assistance in using the in room safe. In addition, our Executive Level rooms feature many of the additional amenities you mentioned including complimentary shoe shine cleaning services (not just a kit) and complimentary internet access.

We hope you have the opportunity to respond to our inquiry as to the room you were assigned as all of our rooms have been recently renovated and we would like to know which, if any, had chipped or worn furniture.

We also apologize for any misunderstanding you may have had on our rates and fees which are listed in many of our sites and are comparable to other AAA Four Diamond rated hotels.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Americas-Houston.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

This was the perfect location for us. We walked to the baseball game-- a straight 6 blocks ona well-lit street, alongside a lovely park. Today, we started the day at the concierge, since we weren't exactly sure how to tackle the day. Gwen was knowledgeable and friendly. In a few minutes, we had dinner reservations, maps to the museum district (with great advice to take the Main Street train), and REALLY good advice to drive to St. Arnold's brewery.
Our room was great--quiet, with a great view of the city. We went to the pool today and loved the hot tub. The bathroom was a nice size, with lots of products to use. My partner loved the workout room, which was getting brand new equipment later today. If I had to say what could be improved, it was that the front desk could've mentioned which elevator bank to use to get to our room. We went the LONG way our first time up, but quickly figured out the better way.

Stayed: April 2012

Dear Jannrasp,

Thank you for recognizing our Concierge, Michelle Gwinn, for the service she provided. This type of recognition continues to motivate our team in ensuring all of our guests feel cared for, valued and respected.

It was nice to read that you were able to take some time to see the great City of Houston.

Thank you for your review and strong recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed here for a conference which was held across the street in the convention center. The location couldn't be better if you're headed to the convention center. That said, this hotel draws in large groups which can mean loud, late-night groups. During my trip, security was very busy with several groups that apparently continued the party right up until I was checking out just before 5am.
The hotel itself: I found the rooms to be average with one significant deficiency: wifi was not available which was quite surprising. Unfortunately, I didn't have a device with a USB port so I couldn't get online. That in itself would prevent me from returning.
The service was average and the hotel staff seemed totally overwhelmed with the high percentage occupancy during my stay.
Next time in Houston, I'd likely stay a bit further from the convention center to enjoy a quieter hotel. If I had to stay here again, I would request a room as far from the elevators as possible.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HiltonAmericas, Manager at Hilton Americas - Houston, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear chris_philly,

Thank you for sharing your Hilton Americas-Hosuton experience on TripAdvisor.

All of our guest room are equipped with both wired and wireless internet. In addition, complimentary wireless internet is availble in the lobby of the hotel.

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about noise. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in Houston.