“Magical experience!”

Ranked #7 of 322 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Next to the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the glass-enclosed butterfly habitat includes a simulated rainforest and thousands of colorful butterflies. A dramatic 50-foot waterfall and exotic plants transport visitors.
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My sister recommended visiting this place and I was so glad we did!

As soon as we entered the area where the butterflies live, I had one land on my hand and stayed there thru the entire experience!
It seems so surreal having this beautiful area and all these lovely butterflies floating around. I took lots and lots of pictures and was so glad we were able to visit here!

It is good for small kids all the way to the elderly!!

All reviews
"wear bright colors"
in 8 reviews
"glass dome"
in 6 reviews
"museum of natural science"
in 27 reviews
in 8 reviews
"hermann park"
in 89 reviews

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let me start by admitting that I am afraid of butterflies. Seriously afraid. I know it's freakish and I can't explain it, but after living in Houston for 3 years, I finally took the challenge from my family and made my way inside. The beginning of the exhibit takes you "museum style" through vignettes about the life of insects. It was really interactive and though I don't have small kids anymore, It would be perfect for elementary to early middle schoolers. Next you step into the top level of a tropical 3 story cone shaped green house and begin working your way down to the bottom. I have neve seen so many butterflies in my life and I have to be honest, there's no place to hide! There are hundreds of varieties swooping and flitting about. We had been told to wear red if you want to attract them, so of course, I forbade anyone with me from wearing red, orange, coral or anything that could be mistaken for red by a butterfly! It doesn't matter, they were landing on everyone except me(can butterflies smell fear?) much to their delight. I had a few close calls, but was able to duck or swerve in time. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the space itself. The plants and flowers are beautiful, the tree frog and iguana interesting, and the huge waterfall provides nice ambient noise. A good time was had by all and I was able to exhale once we walked through the glass doors at the end of the exhibit. I would highly recommend this butterfly museum for all ages.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

What a treat! This is a 3 level structure that you work your way down from the top on a spiral walk way. There must have been at least 2,000 butterfies. I have been to several other very nice butterfly exhibits, but this one puts them all into another class. I will definetly be going to this exhibit everytime I am in Houston.

If you are a photographer, bring your macro lens and plan at least 2 hours. You will be blown away, well at least I was.

1  Thank HenryMudd
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I don't think I've ever seen a kid (real or at heart) not enjoy this place. It's kept humid, so your hair will get completely destroyed. Don't be surprised, but don't miss it either.