“Christmas”
Review of Houston Symphony

Houston Symphony
Ranked #38 of 312 things to do in Houston
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Love the music of the Holidays, and especially with the Houston Symphony! My favorite time to go is during the fall and winter holidays! ...especially hearing some of my favorite Christmas Carols, and even others with which I am not so familiar!

2  Thank Karen030312

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Seen the Houston Symphony POPS at Jones Hall in downtown theater district many times. Just keep getting better. Unbelievable how they get so much music into any style. Michael Krajewski, principal pops conductor, is a delightful personality and always brings fun to the forefront! Saw "Sixties Hits with the Midtown Men" with the POPS Friday night -- fantastic!! From the original cast of the "Jersey Boys", one of them told me after the show that performing with the Houston Symphony was "their music on steroids!" Jones Hall sound is great and there isn't a bad seat to be had. Parking is very convenient and underground to keep you out of the elements. Great dining nearby and also light dining in Jones. An evening with the POPS and Mike K is always fun and leaves you smiling, standing/applauding in appreciation, wanting more, and eager to be at the next concert!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I never liked classical music till a friend got some free tickets and I had to go. I just tagged along so we can be done with it. And whoa! This one blew me off. I never experienced such a beautiful orchestra. They played some classics in the first half and some Mexican rhythmical ones later. The hall is crafted in such a way that speakers are not used (atleast I think), it's live sound. It's a must experience if you are in Houston. I fell in love. Then I even planned to buy season tickets.
Since this experience I am a fan of western classical music.

1  Thank superdoshi
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion (Woodlands) is the summer home for the Houston Symphony. This is a world class symphony orchestra, whether they are playing strictly classical pieces or pops arrangements. We especially loved "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony." The conductor explained the history of classical music used in Merry Melodies cartoons extremely well. We especially enjoyed seeing the cartoons projected onto a movie screen with the Houston Symphony accompanying them. There was a half moon in the clear, dark sky, and when I closed my eyes to listen, there was no finer place to be. My sons enjoyed it thoroughly. Whether the Houston Symphony plays at Jones Hall or CWP, there is no finer way to spend an evening.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I've heard both the symphony and the pops, and the musicians are fabulous! I especially enjoyed the night I got to hear Kenny Loggins with the symphony. The first half of the evening was strictly symphony, but they played classical music that was familiar to almost everyone and had a lot of fun with it. The second half was Kenny Loggins with the symphony - really great. Watch for great deals offered by the symphony. I went four times in one year because of the great deals - really good for me since I live about an hour outside of Houston!