“bring friends for a good time”
Review of The Mercury Room

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Mercury Room
Reviewed August 5, 2005

My review is probably a mixture of the "worst" and "best" reviews shared. Yes, if you go early (any time before 11 or 11:30) the up stairs (Boaka Bar) is dead and the Mercury Room [down stairs] will only have a moderate size crowd. There is a ten buck cover charge and the drinks are completely overpriced, too. HOWEVER, the live band is usually great and fun to dance to, and the crowd is a good mixture of people. As the night goes on, the music upstairs will get you moving if you like hip-hop, and if you go with outgoing friends you will certainly have a good time. I enjoy the place.

4  Thank Melanie D
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2005

My boyfriend and I wanted to go somewhere where we could listen to some good music, get cozy and also hear each other if we wanted to talk! Not only did the Mercury Room remedy that need, it also gave me an unexpected thrill! The band was spunky and those boys could blow! The ambiance was quite sophisticated yet casual so anyone would fit in and the architecture gave me a feel of what a nice 1920's club would be like.

You will spend a moderate amount of money, but if you enjoy yourself, does it really matter?

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2003

If you are a local or even if you are from out of town.....don't bother with this club/bar. Houston is so big there are plenty of better places to visit. Don't believe the reviews..don't believe things like "one of the top clubs in the country"....the best thing I can say about it is that it is worst DIVE you've ever been to is better than this place!
Horrible DJ, Empty as London in the movie "28 Days Later". And one thing that took me by surprise....I ordered one drink....should one drink cost 10 bucks?

Cheers! - you're better off at the Bronx Bar (in Rice Village on Morningside St.) or Baker St. Pub (also on Morningside St.)

(This is a customer review and not something that is associated in any way with any bar/club in Houston)

15  Thank InnerLooper1