“The best Jamaican restaurant in Houston.”
Review of Jamaica House Restaurant - CLOSED

Jamaica House Restaurant
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Locally owned and family operated, Jamaica House brings to you the flavors fit for a Prime Minister and comfort like an island resort. Former Chef Jacqui Francis provides signature dishes reminiscent of the ones she prepared for the Prime Minister while living in Jamaica. Enjoy signature dishes of Jerk, curry and Oxtails. Jam to live music on Thursday to Saturday nights, sip on our freshly brewed Blue Mountain coffee and enjoy our decadent desserts.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been here several times now and not once have a been let down. I am Jamaican and been let down several times by other restaurants in Houston, but this tops them all! I recommend the jerk chicken or the curry chicken. They both are off the rockers. And the live music is great and a mood setter.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I arrived at the Jamaica house restaurant without a reservation and was welcomed even though my party of four was small. we were invited to try the various "tributes" to the jaiaica track and field olympic teams with some very creative cocktails, I had the Sorrell Spritzer ( Hibiscus beverage mixed with champagne ) it was so refreshing i had a second glass imediately, the curry chicken with plaintains rice and calaloo was just tasty, the portions was just right for me and i finnished mine and started tasting the Jerk Chicken that my colleague was having. Entertainment was provide with a steel band, the singer did one song that was simply amazing acapella style, and to finnish of we had the bread pudding thats to die for. The only negetive is the restrooms does need to be remodelled. and seating is alittle cramped.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

The patty with beef was horrible
Having actually tasted real Jamaican patty before it was not up to par. I was double charged for the wings and my waitress seem to have a problem with refunding me.

On another note The wings are superb and the atmosphere was nice.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Service--The serving staff here were extremely disjointed and are in need of some training. When we arrived, we were directed to our table. After a long while, we finally got our drink orders taken. Those didn't show up for a good 15 minutes, and we just sort of sat there waiting for our server to come back. When she finally got around to taking our food orders, she proceeded to do something I've never had a waiter do to me before. Immediately after asking me what I wanted, and after I had begun telling her what I wanted, she began to completely ignore me and then actually walked away from the table to talk with or seat some other people. I was sort of dumbfounded and sort of shot my wife a look of disbelief at the lack of courtesy. She came back after about 30 seconds and pretended like nothing had happened (no apology either)...but asked me to repeat the order. Once the orders were finally in, it was another 15 minutes before we got our soups and the patties (appetizers) and 30+ minutes after we were done with the appetizer, we finally got our meals. This was some of the slowest/worst service I have ever received....luckily, their food was good enough to help with the rest of the rating.

Food: So about that food. Well, we tried a bunch of different things and by-and-large, they were all average to above average. As mentioned, we started with Pepperpot soup and the Red Bean soup. Both were good--pepperpot soup is slightly spicy, but had a nice complex flavor that was not masked by the heat of it. The red bean soup is tasty and has a bit of spice to it as well (not entirely free of heat, although much less spicy than the pepperpot soup).

Patties--tried both the beef and chicken variety. These were also sort of spicy and came with a couple different dipping sauces. These were okay, but the texture (pureed meat) of the filling was a bit odd.

Entrees--my wife got the island style fish and I got the Red Stripe ribs. For sides we got the drunken plantains and the rice n' peas. We chose cabbage as our side (salad is a choice as well). Portions were generous...we had enough leftover for lunch the next day. The fish was well cooked and had an interesting spice mixture on it--the pickled vegetables were a nice counterpoint to the sweetness of the sauce--offered some good balance. The ribs were huge (you get two) and extremely tender. They also have a nice sweetness to them and the rice n' peas + cabbage are perfect complements to the ribs. Plantains are also sweet, to the point of being dessert-like.

Dessert--speaking of dessert, we got the bread pudding, which is ridiculously decadent. It is obviously chock-full of butter, which shows in the moistness which it retains after it has been baked. It tastes really good, but stay far away from this if you're counting calories (yikes!). Definitely has an egg-y quality to it as well...which some people may not like...but we did.

Value: Overall the food value was above average for the price and had obviously been prepared with love (and we certainly felt that with our wait time for each item). As mentioned, portions were large and it was just as good when reheated the next day.

Atmosphere: This place is very small, and the way the tables are set up makes it feel even more cramped. There seemed to be a lot of confusion with the servers and the kitchen.

Overall Takeaway:

This place would be nice if you lived nearby and wanted something a little different from your normal American fare. The food is tasty and there's plenty of it for a good price. However, I would highly recommend you forgo the full experience and just get it to-go. If we ever eat here again, that is certainly what we will be doing.

1  Thank James B
JAHouse, Manager at Jamaica House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear James,

We have registered with Trip Advisor and just had the opportunity to read about your experience. It is with great appreciation that we are responding to your review and hope that your experience will not be limited to take out in the future. We appreciate your review of the menu and feedback on the taste of our dishes, they are made with love and relative patience is required. Your service and wait time were unacceptable however and for this we apologize and would like to send you a gift card so you can evaluate where improvement on these areas have been accomplished on our part.

Thanks for your visit and time in writing this thorough review. Please provide physical or email address for us to send your gift card.

Wendi-Ann Walker