“Locally-sourced food, taken to phenomenal levels of artistry”
Review of Oxheart

Oxheart
Ranked #523 of 8,451 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are native Houstonians with a restaurant in Houston that gathers Texas's best ingredients, cooked in a focused, creative way. Our restaurant is our home, so please come as you are to relax, eat, and drink. We look forward to having you join us for dinner.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've eaten here several times, and always come away amazed by the creativity, variety, and integrity of the dishes. Oxheart is emblematic of the great food scene in Houston right now. The setting is unique, though tiny, so get a reservation. You are unlikely to be able to walk in. The service is friendly and non-pretentious. The wine pairings always surprise us. Unfortunately, the chefs plan to close down in the next few months to pursue their next adventure, so I suggest you try it soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I came here for dinner. We read about it in Gourmet Magazine a month or so ago. They had 3 menus available a garden menu, a winter menu and a tasting menu that had more courses. My husband had the winter menu and I had the garden menu with drink pairings.
I don't know what restaurant these other reviewers that gave it 5 stars went to but our meals were most definetely NOT 5 *. The first course the sunflower soup had a very oily taste that was unpleasant and the grains had an also unpleaseant fishy after taste. The winter menu dishes were bland. The garden menu dishes were good but in my opinion nothing to rave about.
The restaurant itself is small, it seats 30 and was rather austere. They don't dim the lights, the speakers kept cracking as the music was playing. Poor marks on atmosphere as well.

1  Thank TravelMom4417
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went to this restaurant because one of our friend made reservation and couldn't go...
Intrigued with the talk and the advanced reservation, we want to find out what's the hype on this little spot, off we tried.
Little background of us as food critique: we are not big portion fan as we dine at many excellent places all over. We still find that this place portion is absolutely joking! Even for 7 courses tasting, the amount of food you get/the amt of money you pay will let you wonder, Is it really worth????
Food is prepared to perfection, combined with many ingredients that make you feel every bite is an experience...and to be honest, I feel, if they provide you with this little food, of course you will savor every little food that they give you!
Not to dispel the quality, the interesting tasting course, the food presentation, it's a place to try if you are truly a foodie or food critique. Not a place to take a friend who is hungry, out of town, and you want to show them off what's Houston dinning scene has to offer. It's totally San Francisco or New York style dining where the foodies want to try out different things...
Tips:
- Don't expect to get full at this eatery.
- Don't expect this place to be spacious & comfortable. It's tiny, all tables (which is very few), are all next to each other, too close to the next person
- Make a reservation; otherwise show up before 7:30.
- No valet and parking is kinda difficult so arrive early so you can find parking!
- No real sign outside the door so map it! 1302 Nance (next to a tattoo parlor)
- Place is hipster trendy so I wouldn't show up looking too casual!

Expensive for too little food. Go & try with open mind, you will be fine. I will recommend this place just bc you have to try, but will not go back anytime soon. There are too many other amazing places in Houston before I go back to this place again. Been there, done that. Thanks

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I thought this was going to be a one time affair. Now I've decided it's worth skipping a night out to save up just so I can see what the chef will come up with next! The ambience is strangely unique. It reminds me of the feeling from European gourmet flicks, where you watch the chef and staff working thru their trade. Service is "friendly excellent" and wise as well. The local artisan contributions to tables, knives and aprons were exquisite.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We've been to Oxheart twice, about 4 months apart so we could have different experiences. Both visits have been some of our most memorable meals ever. The food is extremely good quality and excellently presented. The menu constantly changes as dishes are swapped out based on availability of local ingredients. To make sure we try everything, my wife and I will get the 7 course and 4 course tasting menu and then we share all the dishes and wine parings.

Servings are small, but we still leave full. However this is not a place for someone who likes big Texas portions of meat and starch.

Service has been good and the restaurant has a modern look without a stuffy atmosphere. Last time we sat at the counter and enjoyed watching the food being prepared plus got a chance to meet some other diners and discuss the food.

We'll be back in the spring when enough of the dishes have changed for us to have a completely new experience.