“Save up and savor”

Oxheart
Ranked #473 of 8,312 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are native Houstonians with a restaurant in Houston that gathers Texas's best ingredients, cooked in a focused, creative way. Our restaurant is our home, so please come as you are to relax, eat, and drink. We look forward to having you join us for dinner.
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I thought this was going to be a one time affair. Now I've decided it's worth skipping a night out to save up just so I can see what the chef will come up with next! The ambience is strangely unique. It reminds me of the feeling from European gourmet flicks, where you watch the chef and staff working thru their trade. Service is "friendly excellent" and wise as well. The local artisan contributions to tables, knives and aprons were exquisite.

There are newer reviews for Oxheart

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We've been to Oxheart twice, about 4 months apart so we could have different experiences. Both visits have been some of our most memorable meals ever. The food is extremely good quality and excellently presented. The menu constantly changes as dishes are swapped out based on availability of local ingredients. To make sure we try everything, my wife and I will get the 7 course and 4 course tasting menu and then we share all the dishes and wine parings.

Servings are small, but we still leave full. However this is not a place for someone who likes big Texas portions of meat and starch.

Service has been good and the restaurant has a modern look without a stuffy atmosphere. Last time we sat at the counter and enjoyed watching the food being prepared plus got a chance to meet some other diners and discuss the food.

We'll be back in the spring when enough of the dishes have changed for us to have a completely new experience.

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I had the 7 course tasting menu and it was wonderful. Subtle, complex and deceptively simple presentation. Vegetable driven with just a couple of small meat dishes. I loved the quaint atmosphere, the fantastic service from Justin Vann (best tatt ever)...and was introduced to my now favorite beer- La Socarrada from Spain (amazing ale w rosemary & honey...hard to find). Houston is an amazing culinary destination and I make trips down there a few times a year just to eat and take notes. This is certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Easily one of our top 5 restaurant meals ever. We booked ahead of time via email, and Karen couldn't have been more helpful. We had the full tasting menu with wine pairings and everything was amazing. Great quality, thoughtfully presented food. Highlights were the roasted okra, the monkey bread, the barley and sunflower seed stew, the heirloom potatoes... everything, basically. Their sommelier is gifted - we started looking for some of his chosen wines as soon as we got home. Fabulous service, too, and a lovely, unpretentious and welcoming space. Michelin star waiting to happen, and it couldn't happen to nicer people. Eat here while you can.

1  Thank uneasyjd
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Visited restaurant august 2012

The dishes feature locally sourced, seasonal ingredients prepared at the moment they are served. The combinations are creative and run across a broad range of flavors and intensity levels. Attention to detail is meticulous. Some ingredients are exotic and some are presented in unfamiliar ways. The place is clearly run by people who are passionate about their work, not just in it to make money. I have not found a place in houston that compares and would recommend oxheart a destination restaurant for people who appreciate creative world-class dining if visiting from out of town.

Vegetables were showcased and several small courses were served as opposed to large plates of meat and starch. Rich meat dishes complete the experience but the food is pretty balanced to allow multiple courses.

Wine list is great if short and wine pairings creative.

My personal enthusiasm for this restaurant is great but it may not be for everyone.

1  Thank SKS1969