“Watch Out!”
Review of L'Olivier

L'Olivier
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Olivier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,418 of 8,244 Restaurants in Houston
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mason
Sequim, Washington
“Watch Out!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I took my adult daughter here to celebrate her birthday. We both had the foie gras . She had the branzino and I had the scallops. We both got sick.

Then I found out that they processed my Visa card as a debit card, not a credit card, without telling me. In fact, the receipt showed as a credit card.

I normally write quite positive reviews, but this experience was one of the worst that I have had at a restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank plannermike

FL Keys
“Pretentious servings of appetizers masquerading as entrees.”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Scallops with lentils and carrot puree: 3 small/medium scallops (cooked perfectly - $7 each) devoid of flavor served with a tablespoon of tiny lentils and a few squiggles (1/2 tsp) of orange stuff (probably the advertised carrot puree, but too little to scrape onto the tine of a fork). A work of art on a rectangular plate. I was shocked. One companion had a small steak and fries (mediocre) and two others had oxtail ravioli with blue cheese sauce and they loved them; I had a small taste (I couldn't have a whole ravioli since there were so few) but didn't think much of it. Average crispy warm flavorless rolls and OK desserts. On the positive side, the wine was good. If you go, read the positive reviews and you'll feel better.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank kcbbill09
Dallas, Texas
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Very authentic french food (except the bread, but really no complaint there - you can only find a good baguette in Paris). Would definitely return. Wine prices really good - appeared to be 2x.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Todd K
houston, texas
“True casual bistro”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Delightful surrounding and friendly staff. Fresh ingridients, cheerful staff. Its a lovely repast on any evening. Great location in Historic Avondale district.

Visited November 2012
Houston
“L'Olivier has a new menu. Excellent French food!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to this restaurant and the first visit since they changed their menu last month. They have a new Charcuterie and Cheese section to the menu. Meat items are $5. Cheese items are $4. A cheese flight is available for $15 ($29 with wine pairing). We ordered the Prosciutto and Pepperoni Picolit from this section of the menu. We also ordered onion soup ($9) and Beef Tartar ($9) from the appetizer section. The soup crock was very hot but the soup was not that hot. We finished up with the Homemade Pate ($11) and the escargot ($12). We each had 2 glasses of wine, so our bill was a touch over $100 before the tip, but it was plenty of food. The service was excellent and the food was outstanding. The wine list is also outstanding! The do have a small selection of entrees made for 2 people and other entrees for one person but the appetizers were too hard to resist. Next time I would like to try the lobster salad! The chef used to work at Tony's, a highly respected continental and Italian restaurant in the Greenway Plaza area of Houston. Give this place a try, just bring money! The website menu does not seem to have all of the new items in it yet.

• Visited December 2012