“The service at this hotel was amazing and appreciated!”

Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #83 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Mrs Faye was so friendly & helpful. We had our 7month old with us and she went over and beyond to make us feel right at home. The breakfast was great & valet parking was so convenient...a little pricey but very convenient. My husband also had a very good encounter with Clarence..says he was very professional and helpful. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

WOW! It is wonderful to hear you had such a great experience with us! Both Faye and Clarence will be recognized for the service they provided to you and your family.

We turly value your business and appreciate you staying with us!

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Nice, big and clean rooms with a great kitchen. Bed was comfortable and service was great. Breakfast was convenient and offered lots of choices. The location was perfect if you need to be downtown; however beware of the many homeless people around the hotel. We were approached at the valet late at night by a man tapping on our window, and multiple times as we walked from valet to the hotel. There was also a strong sewer smell in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

It is great to hear you enjoyed our clean, comfortable and convenient hotel! I sincerely apologize for anything that occured outside of the hotel. I have sent your comments to the city.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I Stayed at the Residence Inn this past weekend using points for the room. My first impression was not great because you valet at the courtyard but they send you around the street to get to the Residence Inn. That would be ok except there was a lot if 'sketchy' people just hanging out. And you had to walk through them. I felt uncomfortable and it takes a lot for me to feel that way. Then when we check in I politely ask if there are any upgrades. As a platinum member I usually get upgraded or at least an apology for not having any available. Don't get me wrong I know it's a courtesy and I do not expect an upgrade to be a sure thing. The front desk clerk said "rooms booked with points only get a queen room". The way she said it led me to believe that if you book on points there is no upgrade.
The accommodations themselves were fine. One thing to note was that you could walk inside the hotel from the Residence side to the courtyard side but you had to go up to at least the 3rd floor. I found this out after I went down to see if they had beer or wine in the market. The front desk guy said no but that I could go to the courtyard and still charge it to my room.
When we checked out I tried the texting for my car service that the valet uses. I promptly received a text saying that the valet had received my text and would be bringing my Car down. The. I got a text saying it would be ready in 6 minutes. I made it down to the valet and waited 10 minutes. My car didn't show so I asked the valet and she assured me mine was on the way despite not looking at my ticket. She didn't look at my ticket so I thought I would tell her my number and she said someone was getting it. Another 10 minutes go by and a manager came and asked what we were waiting on and I explained what we were doing and she went and got my key then went and got the car. Obviously the first person never got my keys out which would have been obvious if she had looked. To top it off the valet that brought the car out in before us parked the car in the exit of the garage so they couldn't get our car out. The whole valet process took about 30 minutes which is way too long considering the high cost.
All in all I will not stay at this property again. They did not live up to the service that I'm used to with the marriott properties.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank mmagee

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

I sincerely apologize for your experience with us. We take extreme pride in providing world class service and clearly we did not show case that during your visit. I have already shared your comments with the team and the valet company to ensure this does not happen again.

We truly appreicate your business and hope you will come back and give us another chance.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Great all around everything. Breakfast and supper. friendly staff in the dining area Ms. Faye and her coworkers are just great. Kudos to Ms. Twana Brown at the front desk for giving exceptional guest service every time we check in.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

WOW! It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I will make sure your comments are shared with our team, especially Faye and Tawana.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were clean and services were great. Breakfast was good with tasty selections including fresh fruit. Pillows were a little smaller than what I get at other hotels but beds comfortable. As others have commented, Downtown Houston is rough. There were quite a few homeless people begging for money asking daily. Staff was great ensuring entrances were clear. A Big thanks to staff for that and making us feel safe. Valet parking was great and flexible with our constant going and coming. Great friendly staff all around.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed everything about your stay! From the clean rooms to the friendly service and how safe you felt at our hotel!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Hotel is clean, staff is great, great breakfast,nice outdoor pool , great location about 10 15 minute walk to convention center. Monday, Tuesday , and Wednesday they put out hot food like meatloaf, potatoes, salad, and rolls along with pitchers of lite and dark beer, red and white wine, lemonade. A very nice treat. Some in our group had issues checking in like being put in rooms that were occupied, but we're handled quickly and to their satisfaction. Stayed 6 days and housekeeping often didn't get to our room till 5 or 6 which was disappointing after being gone all day to come back and then have housekeeping knock. However positives far outweighed any small negatives at hotel.
The bad is downtown Houston. A terrible homeless problem. If you walk towards convention center don't go left on Main Street unless you are with others. Witnessed drug deals, saw apparently mentally ill people, desperately poor homeless . Constantly asked for money downtown.

Room Tip: Get rooms in upper floors and probably not facing main if you want to avoid street noise that starts...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mike o
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed everything about our hotel from the clean room to the complimentary breakfast and evening social!

I sincerely apologize for anything you encountered while outside our hotel. I will be sharing your comments with HPD.

We truly value your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Very nice hotel just a few blocks from convention center with absolutely fantastic customer service. A booking service for our large group had reserved two queen bed efficiency rooms but the hotel only has one queen bed efficiencies with queen pullout. When we got to our room, our floors were also soaking wet floors from the overnight carpet cleaning. The hotel management immediately moved us to different larger rooms. Many were moved into two bedroom suites and we were given two king bedrooms. Lyn Hon, Operations Manager was a total gem to work with. She bought us dinner at the Bistro that night, they sent up snacks and bottled water, and checked on us regularly to make sure we were enjoying our stay. She even sent a person hand written note with her cell phone number. One word sums this kind of service -- WOW!!!!!

The hotel itself is very nice. They have a great (and free) breakfast buffet, plus free dinner and drinks Mon - Wed. The place is very clean. Great pool and the best work out room I've seen in all our years of world travels.

I'd give the place five stars if it wasn't for the initial problems and also some homeless people lingering around continually. But that seems to be the case for any place in downtown Houston.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

WOW! It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us! The team, especially Lynn, will really enjoy hearing your comments!

We truly appreciate you staying with us and look forward to seeing you again soon!