“Love the Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Stillwater, Oklahoma
“Love the Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a very typical downtown Residence Inn by Marriott. Great location and expensive overnight parking (Valet Only). It's very convenient to get to downtown places of interest such as Toyota Center (walking), Hermann Park (urban tram) and Rice University (urban tram).
My friends and I went to Houston for Black Friday Shopping and had a good stay with spacious rooms, nice hot breakfast buffet, and above-average guest services.

However, the hotel and the Courtyard next door look a little bit old from outside and the valet parking garage is not well maintained (we walked by several times).

Overall, nice hotel in the heart of Houston.

Room Tip: park at public parking lots around to avoid the $28 parking. Take the urban tram to commute.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed our teams service and our location while in town doing some Black Friday Shopping!

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Ryan Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Colorado Rockies
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed for convention in October. All rooms downtown pretty well booked, so got gouged at $379/night for a 2 bedroom suite that was a dump. The reservation said "City View" but when we arrived the only 2 bedroom suite had a view of other rooms with a dirty unused roof below. The carpet was stained and filthy, the décor doesn't look like it's been updated since the 70's. Cheerios on the bathroom floor. Small, scratchy towels and not enough of them. Cheap little shampoo/soaps. YES, $350+/night! Before checking in, I checked out the room and asked for another one, but there were no other rooms to switch to, even though we checked in 1 day before most conference attendees. The hotel clearly knew that with the convention, there were no other rooms available downtown, and the closest available rooms were over 5 miles away - so we stayed. Breakfast was okay, but sausage was nasty tasting. Now, that said, staff did the best they could - clearly, I guess their hands were tied and offered no refunds. And, all the staff were helpful and tried to make the stay a good experience. Marriott never fails to disappoint me, the few occasions I end up at one. If the room would have cost $70/night, I would have given a better review. Shame on Marriott - never again will I stay at one. I've stayed at many $70-110 Hampton Inn rooms and they've all been at least 2-4x nicer than this room that they had the audacity to gouge over $300/night.

Room Tip: Oct 2013 there was construction across the street in front of the hotel - I'm guessing if you wa...
1 Thank DineRight4
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoed our teams service! However I sincerley apologize for the other issues you expereinced. I can assure you this is not how we normally operate.

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a few times now. Not coming back. I usually like the bigger Res Inn rooms but here, not very well maintained. And staff is simply indifferent to requests. Probably better off trying Courtyard right next door ( higher rated on this site but I have yet to stay there). Staff at this place displays great indifference to guests, and I usually enter hotels with low expectations. In any event there is a Hilton and embassy suites right down the street that seem much more customer friendly based on my experience.

Stayed November 2013
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was surprised to hear you found our team to be indifferent. I can assure you our team takes extreme pride in being the cleanest and freindliest. Nonetheless I will be sharing your comments with the team as an example that we can always improve.

I truly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you will give us another chance to showcase our world class service.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed 4 nights for a convention at George Brown.

Pros:
1. Location is good, as you can walk 10 minutes to the convention center as well as several restaurants. For jogging / walking it is just a few blocks from a park and an urban river trail.
2. My room 723 was above average for a Residence Inn, as the ceilings are high and there is some character to the decor. Bed very comfy.
3. Staff is friendly.
4. There is an outdoor rooftop pool that is long enough for lap swim.
5. Beer for sale in bottles from the fridge.

Cons:
1. Not much lobby ambiance. No bar. A little bit stark.
2. To get a taxi you need to walk next door to the Courtyard Marriott.
3. The rooftop pool is not heated and was unusable in November
4. Exercise room is limited: a few treadmills / ellipticals and a set of dumbbells. No machines.
4. There is a huge construction project going on right next door. As of November 2013 they are clearing away an old building and it's loud from 7am-5pm. I'd assume new construction will be going on for the next year or two. Room 723 faced it directly. It didn't bother me too much because I was at the convention center most days, but if you need to sleep later than 7 or work in the room then you may want to face another direction.

Overall I give it 3.4 stars and would be glad to stay there again, if looking for a hotel in this price range and location. Might be worth investigating the Courtyard Marriott next door if you like a lobby bar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! I wanted to let you know that in December we will be doing so updating that I think you are going to love.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

india
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have stayed here before several times and everytime had left them with some feedback but of no avail. Recently there was a goof up and since them the GM has been listening and making changes. On top they have started catering to the needs of the vegetarians and yes it is more than salad - thank you! So all vege folks who struggel to find something decent for breakfast and snacks during social hour, this is the place to stay at. Hope they continue to improve the variety here.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you are noticing the changes we are making! We truly value your business.

Thank you again for staying with us!

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is pretty basic.
Positives:
The rooms provide more than the usual hotel room. That is there is the basic room, plus a small living area.
The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful.
Useful little 'market' kiosk to buy snacks etc.
There is a launderette, where you can wash a load of laundry for 5 quarters and the same to dry.
Small fitness centre.
You share the facilities with the neighbouring Marriott Courtyard, including a reasonable and small and basic, but nice evening restaurant.
You are close to some main attractions, like the conference centre.
Good air con.
Good tv's (2).
Quiet at night. (But lost points for the weirdo blowing the trumpet outside every morning at 7)
Comfy bed.
There is a really cool 'happy our' which runs (I think Sun to Wed) which provides free light meal, wine or beer from 6pm to 730pm (thereabouts), and many of the guests it appear take full advantage of this to fill up for dinner.
That's it.

The other side of the coin:
The place is tired. Would do well will a renovation/refresh.
The furniture quite old.
It was noisy during the day. When I stayed there was some kind of fair going on across the road in an empty car park involving trucks blasting their horns. And at 7am every morning some guy would show up across the road outside the Houston Police Headquarters and blow a trumpet and shout at the top of his voice from0700 to 0730 Fri Sat and Sun. Very weird.
While the rooms are marketed as having separate living areas the room I was in (and which I thing is the standard) does not provide a truly separate living area. There are no doors between the living area and the bedroom - just a wall. And the rooms are small. So you don't get the feeling, really, that you have left the bedroom, and stepped out into the ling room - it's all one space. Not quite what I had hoped for, or what seems apparent when you look at the pictures online.
The area: the location is a big creepy. There are a number of strange (homeless etc) people hanging around in the vicinity (not the hotel's fault off course - just the product of the location, and nearby bus stop, I guess.
Room comes equipped with fridge, which is empty - if you are an overseas visitor you are used to the fridges being well stocked.
Small gymnasium.
I asked if they could provide bathroom scales - no luck. (They said this was available in the gym - it isn't)
Breakfast - average - limited cereals, but there was arrange of hot foods, such a scrambled eggs etc.

So look - if you get a very good deal, and you have realistic expectations, it will be OK'ish. But if you are a business traveler and more used to luxury stays, then it will disappoint.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed our very friendly staff! However I do want to let you know that in December we will be updating our rooms and I think you will really enjoy the new look!

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We spent one night in this hotel. This hotel shares a building with courtyard next door so the entrance and parking issue is confusing. Just pull up to the Courtyard entrance and valet will take care of you. There is no self-park there. The front desk was a bit understaffed when we arrived but they still were able to serve us in 15 minutes.The room was nice spacious and well-maintained. The theater district is just a few blocks away.
A few tips:
Do check out the pool. the view there is fabulous. Use the same door you came in or you will end up in Courtyard.
Check out several historic documents about the building on the first floor by the elevator.
Go to Courtyard entrance and check out a fountain in the shape of an oil rig.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Residence Inn Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed our nice, clean and convenient hotel! Incase you did not already know the hotels connect on all floors 3 and above to make it easier to navigate.

Thank you again for staying with us and have a great day!