“DO NOT STAY HERE ON THE WEEKEND” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #143 of 501 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“DO NOT STAY HERE ON THE WEEKEND”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The only plus about this place is the staff. They are great. I stayed here while attending a wedding. There is a bus stop at the front of the hotel that attracts alot of riff raff and crowds. Since we were here on the weekend, the only open places were: a CVS 5 blocks away, Forever 21 next door, McDonalds, Subway, and a Mexican place 4 blocks away. Short story: while walking to CVS on Saturday morning at about 9AM for stuff for my wife, I was asked by a decently dressed, drunk man for money. After declining, he then started screaming profanity at me and followed me for a block... Security and police are non-existent downtown on the weekends and it was a very unsafe environment. The rooms here are decent, but the blinds do not fully shut (or open), so if you plan on sleeping in on a Saturday, forget it. All in all, will never be back....oh yea, and I basically had to perform a miracle to get the lobby bar to serve me a beer at 4:30PM (bar doesn't open till 5PM)....no room service here either.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beis1
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed our teams service! I however apologize for your expereince walked to CVS, while we are downtown we dont hear about many expereinces like yours. I will be sharing with the Houston PD.

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

Ryan Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here for two nights earlier this week. It's an old office building that's been converted into a hotel. I think the conversion took place 15-20 years ago and I don't think it's been renovated since. Although my room was big, the carpet was badly stained and needed to be replaced. The bathroom could also use a renovation. The king-size bed was firm and nice. The corridors could also stand a renovation. I got dinner in the lobby cafe the first night I was there. They were out of a lot of items on Monday night - apparently the truck with their big delivery only comes on Wednesdays. You'd think they could send someone out to a grocery store and pick up some food while they were waiting for the truck. The food was mediocre and I didn't eat there again. Also, there was a convention in town and they were at peak capacity, so they wouldn't give me my company's corporate rate. I paid about $340 for the first night and about $230 for the second night, which seemed a little obscene.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel to stay at.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank pmtola
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

We apreicate you chosing us when in town for work! However, I sincerley apologize for your dinning experience and carpet in your room. This is not at all how we normally operate and i will be following up personally with our team to ensure future guests are not affected.

Thank you agin for staying with us and we hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in the area.

Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend to watch an event at the Toyota Center. The proximity to the event was wonderful. We were just a few blocks away which saved us time and money.

The hotel is a wonderful use of an older building. We had a corner room, which was extremely spacious and flooded with natural light because of the two windows. The high ceilings and roomy layout made for a very nice stay. The room was also very clean, and the furnishing/linens in great shape.

We ate one dinner and two breakfasts in the bistro. The food was good and reasonably priced. We didn't experience a significant delay in receiving our food, even though they were quite busy during the breakfast hour.

The staff was very nice and accomodating. They recommended a mexican restaurant down the road that was delicious.

Besides being close to the Toyota Center, the location leaves some things to be desired. Downtown Houston apparently closes down for the weekend at 6pm on Friday. There was almost nothing to do in the area, beyond a few restaurants. Also, there is a pretty hefty homeless population that gather next door. This made walking around at night very uncomfortable.

I recommend this hotel for anyone doing business in the immediate area or coming for an event.

Room Tip: The corner room was very spacious. The train ran right next door, but it wasn't too noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you chose to stay with us while in town for an event at the Toyota Center and you took advantage of our Courtyard Bistro for breakfast and dinner.

We truly value your business and look forward to your next visit!

San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 20-30 times over the last year for business. The Marriot Courtyard and Residence Inn are in the same connected building.

Location: The hotel is in the center of downtown. This can be a good or bad, depending on the purpose of your trip. I was working one block away from the hotel, so the location was a tremendous benefit for me and was the primary reason I came back to this hotel.

Rooms: Rooms are very old and run-down. Some are dirty (had an ant infestation in one which I found in my bag after I left the room). The bathroom is very old and dated, with old fixtures. Overall, the rooms are standard and old, but functional.

Gym: The Coutryard has two decent treadmills and an elliptical - crowded in the mornings. The Residence Inn has one decent treadmill and one ancient treadmill that doesn't function for running. Both have dumbbells, but no other equipment in the small gym.

Other: The Courtyard has the "Bistro" which has surprisingly decent food with beer/wine. They recently stopped room service, so no room service in the hotel. The front desk has always been nice/helpful. No complaints.

Also note that this hotel is not in the best of locations. There are several areas where homeless people congregate immediately outside of the hotel. In my one-block walk to work, I usually get asked for change 2-3 times. Single female travelers should take care walking after dark.

Value: I have seen rates at this hotel from $175 - $450/night. When the rate is above $200, I stay in the Galleria area and drive, which is less convenient, but there's no way this hotel is worth $400+/night.

If you're working downtown and the rate is reasonable, this is a decent place to stay. If you're on vacation, there is really no reason to stay in this hotel. Find a location closer to the Houston attractions.

Room Tip: Starbucks is located in the front of the building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

Based on your feedback I wanted to inform you we are updating our guestrooms and expanding our fitness center this December and I think you will find both updates just what you were looking for!

We truly value your business and thank you for choosing us while in town for work!

Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Generally competent hotel with a great location near the Convention Center.Friendly staff. I've never been a fan of 'The Bistro' concept, although I've seen it work reasonably well at other locations. The problem is that it can't handle volume - it's too easy to build large backups at peak times. McDonalds has figured out how to do this but Marriott hasn't. Went there the first day and unfortunately there was a delivery snafu where a lot of orders got lost and it was clear th#t they didn't know who had ordered what. I ate elsewhere after that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! However I sincerely apologize for your Bistro experience. I have shared your comments with our team and we are committed to improving our service during high demand times.

Thank you again for staying with us!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband had a conference in Houston & we stayed at this Marriott for 2 of the 5 nights we were in town. The location couldn't have been any better, only a few blocks to the conference & right across the street were fantastic restaurants, bars & some shopping! The only thing I wasn't 100% happy with was the service at the front desk, the reception was lacking in hospitality & customer service.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Stephanie D
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you chose us when in town for a conference! We take extreme pride in being clean and friendly, I appreicate you commenting on our front desk team. This is not how we normally operate and I will ensure to share your feedback with our team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Clearwater, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Spent 5 days and nights here for a convention. Staff is outstanding which is normal for Marriott. It's walking distance to convention center. It is a "challenging" neighborhood as you must walk thru a constant wave of panhandlers to go anywhere. Somewhat uncomfortable having my wife take a walk alone, there are any number of good restaurants and a downtown park closeby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jimvet1826
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you found our staff service to be OUTSTANDING! I will be sure to share your comments with them.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!