“Family visit”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Family visit”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a great place in downtown Houston, the hotel has all the bells and whistles. The employees are very nice and accommodating. The rooms are very nice and roomy. The beds are very comfortable, some of the best on my travels and that means a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray W
Ryan F, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed all the "Bells and whistles" of our hotel and found our team to be very friendly!

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Ryan Frederick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Listed at position 218 here so far, but that's not fair: if you're used to visit Convention Center and don't want to pay 500 US$ like at Hikton, it's a valid option nearby. Clean rooms, although not stylish.

1 Thank StS0815
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you enjoyed the value of our hotel!

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed as a family with three kids in two connecting rooms for a night - close for us to go out and watch the baseball. It was an ok/nothing special marriott to begin with but the front desk phone call into the kids room at 3am was the clincher of poor guest management. My wife got up to answer the call of hotel staff questioning if we were using that room as the hotel was full and they were looking for rooms for incoming guests (the NRA conference was in town). Seemed like a rookie mistake but turned us off staying again. We chose the four seasons next time and were blown away by their service - so. Much so that we stayed an extra night at that hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GoCrows123
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel!

It was great to hear you choose to stay with us while attending an Astros game! However, I sincerley apologize for the call at 3am. I can assure you this is not how we normally operate and I will ensure future guests are not affected.

Thank you again for staying with us and I hope you will give us another chance in the future!

Wilmington, DE
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My stay at this hotel got off to a poor start when my wife called me after she had been woken up by the hotel front desk wondering if I would be checking in. It was about 9 pm local time and I was on my way from a client dinner (but about 10 pm on the east coast). Obviously, my wife was frantic - worried that something had happened to me. Upon arriving at the hotel, I questioned whether they didn't have my credit card holding the room. They told me that they did indeed have it, but that the hotel was oversold and they wanted to see if I really needed the room. I am still annoyed that this hotel called and even considered giving my room away since I'm a Marriott rewards member for over 10 years and stay at Marriott hotels 10-15 nights a year.

Upon getting to my room, I had two other disappointments - the closet was small and I had trouble getting the iron and ironing board out. Also, there were wet spots on the carpet (not sure what that was due to). The rest of the room was clean and in working order.

The next day, I used the exercise room and was disappointed that the handi-wipe dispenser to clean the machine was empty. This has been a frequent issuee at many Courtyards lately.

There's also a $24 charge for valet parking - I guess it's expected for a downtown hotel but still annoying. I doubt that I'll return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ThankYouForStaying, Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I am sincerely sorry for the terrible experience you had recently at our hotel. While we were being proactive in determining who among are arriving guests would not be showing up as we typically have several who do not show, I agree that calling your home late at night was inappropriate, and I apologize for the concern we caused at home. Our goal is to create a problem-free experience for our guests, and we have certainly dropped the ball on this occasion. I will share your feedback with our management team and associates for training purposes. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. I would like the opportunity to provide the service you should expect from a Marriott hotel.
Charlotte Tyer
Oakland, CA
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Houston for several days, May 9-12. Coincidentally, the property changed hands at midnight on Friday, May 10 so some of the issues we encountered may be related to that management change. I'll comment on the problems in order of their occurrence.

First, there is no "public" parking or ability to self-park on the property. If one wants to park a car at the Courtyard, one has to use valet parking. With this limitation, in my view the valet parking experience has to be flawless. It was not during our stay. There was a huge thunderstorm Friday evening (not blaming this on management), and when we arrived from our evening out, the line of cars waiting for valet parking was nearly a block long. It took us almost an hour to get the mandatory valet service. There was only one young man actively parking cars, but there were several guys who appeared to be "management" standing around observing. This might have been an anomaly, but it was a bad thing to have happen during a rainstorm.

We went out on Saturday and when we returned early Saturday evening we returned to our room that had not been cleaned! Since we were tired and not in the mood to spend time in the lobby while the room was cleaned (assuming there was housekeeping available during the evening), we decided simply to request fresh towels. Our request was quickly accommodated.

Apart from these two big (and admittedly potentially anomalous events) issues, I have to note that the room was comfortable with one exception: the rug was scuzzy. The rug was old and stained and looked gross so that we were not comfortable walking around in our bare feet.

On the positive side, when we mentioned these issues when we checked out, she responded positively; didn't attempt to dodge our complaints, and promptly offered to waive the valet parking fees, and put some award points into my Marriott account. So, in fairness I believe this was a fair resolution of our issues. However, I wouldn't recommend the hotel nor would I take the risk of staying there in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ThankYouForStaying, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, management companies have changed as of that Friday night at midnight and the team is excited to begin making improvements to satisfy our new travelers. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences with the valet and housekeeping. I understand how frustrating both of these issues can be. Our team has already made changes with the valet services to improve the flow and overall experience for guests arriving and departing. Housekeeping is being retrained and held accountable to deliver the superior service Marriott guests expect. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the near future.
Charlotte Tyer, General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed for a venue at Bayou Music Center. Valet was backed up to get in and out...lobby was dirty..vending was over-priced....it was super noisy in our room....water pressure in shower was very low....the dinging of the elevator all night made it difficult to fall asleep....overall not what I was hoping for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pearsall, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room was super Dusty. The Coffee maker had something growing inside, the sheets had hair. I had to request for extra sheets, I'm thinking they did not change the sheets from previous customer. And the lady at Starbucks was rude. Not happy with my stay :( I will not be returning to this hotel again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends