“More than I expected.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“More than I expected.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

When visiting Houston, I mostly stay at the Hyatt or Crown Plaza but this time I decided to give the Courtyard a spin. The location is very convenient for many of the downtown businesses and is at an intersection offering many bus and light rail services. The FREE "green" bus runs nearby and operates on a downtown loop which can easily take you near to almost all of the spots in downtown Houston.

The part of town is a little run down and a several major stores are closed down, but a number are also being renovated. There are several decent restaurants/entertainment nearby including a McCormick and Schmicks, III Forks, Guadalajara and my favorite House of Blues. Otherwise this area is generally unoccupied by the working public by about 6:30 so almost all of the stores are closed.

The hotel itself was clean, well maintained with friendly staff. Comfy bed, decent shower, pretty standard room layout but not cramped, free coffee and a paper in the morning. There is a small but servicable health equipment room, free wifi all over, comfortable dining/lounge area with reasonably priced and amazing quite tasty morsels to keep your appetite at bay.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised especially as the price was reasonable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited Houston at the start of March with my husband as part of our relocation to this part of the world. The hotel was chosen for proximity to my husbands office block and most specifically because this hotel provides FREE wifi, essential as we wanted to FaceTime our children back home on a daily basis.
The staff are delightful, very welcoming and keen to help. The valet parking is fantastic also...although on one occasion the young lad brought us the wrong car!! Good rates.
No breakfast with our room it this didn't matter as the hotel was situated above a Starbucks and we enjoyed this most mornings.
The room was spacious with a desk and sitting area. I actually enjoyed the little coffee machine...a surprise for me! The barroom was dated and a little below standard. I did feel like the toilet roll was being rationed...when replacing the roll with the spare I noted that the refill was never refilled!!! The toiletries were also a little tired and dated also.
These are minor features.
We slept well and used the hotel as it is designed...a base to do other things. My next visit to Houston will be to our new home, but if I needed to stay in a hotel in Downtown again I wouldn't hesitate to come back to this one.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jen_Aberdeen
Robstown, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Upon arrival at the Courtyard, we checked inn and had three rooms reserved. We checked in without any difficulty and were given our three rooms. Three keys were given to us and only one key worked. Two rooms keys did not pen the rooms. Staff worked o. Opening the rooms taking an hour and a half. In one of our rooms, cleaning staff just walked into the room while we were getting ready for a function at Rice University. After about two minutes, they realized they were in an occupied room. In one of our other rooms, the glass sliding door was cracked at the bottom. Overall, this was a very bad experience and I would not allow my family to stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dallas
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The parking is always bad in downtown areas, however the valet parking could not handle the number of cars over the weekend. It was full and chaotic in the entryway. The hotel staff was friendly enough and the room ok. However, the housekeeping put dirty cups and glasses back by coffee pot/ice bucket two days in a row. One of the coffee cups was noticeably dirty. Yuck! If you decide to stay here, do not use the cups or glasses!

• Stayed March 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Downtown Houston in late January on business. There was a convention in town and this was one of the only downtown properties with occupancy during the dates I needed to travel. My overall experience was mediocre...the room rate was much too high for the hotel experience.

The room was of a decent size. The bed did not have a duvet, only sheets and a blanket, in a duvet cover disguise. I was cold the first night and requested additional bed coverings for the second - I received a beige, standard blanket...hmmm... There were a few stains on the carpet. The bathroom could use remodeling. It was clean...but not clean enough - missed spots in corners, etc.

Service was typical of a Courtyard. Not fantastic, not horrid. I did wait for an excessive amount of time for my vehicle the am of departure. I would stay at Hotel Icon hands down before I stayed at this property again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is across the street from Houston's "Pavilion" which is an arcade with some very good restaurants--an advantage since the city has virtually none on the street (or anything else but office blocks--this ain't New York!). The room was comfortable enough but lacked some amenities: the ice machine didn't work and I could never find the pay per view movies on the TV. Also there was no hotel information booklet in the room, so no way of finding out where the pool and gym were without asking the front desk. Food was just a cafeteria style area in the lobby; breakfast not too bad and service fast and friendly. Our main complaint was being woken by an emergency alarm and marched downstairs in our pyjamas in the wee hours--not once but twice! Both times a false alarm, and no apology or compensation given. The shuttle was efficient, and room rate very reasonable, but if I ever have to revisit Houston I'll try somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was in Houston for a full week and stayed at the Marriott. My training was at the hotel so we had to eat breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The food was awful and we had to eat the same thing over and over until they finally acknowledged to our complaints on the final day and we had a decent lunch. The room was small and quite outdated. In the training room, most of the channels were not working or were blurry. The pool wasn't usable because of the temperature of the water which might have been below 60. So if you would make a ratio price/quality, 10 being unbelievably awesome, I would rate this Marriott a 2 because of the location. On a good note, the staff was polite. To have visited Sheratons and Marriotts in the past, this is by far my worst experience for a hotel in a chain with such a reputation,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels