“Nice rooms, parking charge is a total rip off”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #128 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We used some Marriott points to book an overnight stay Labor Day weekend. The rooms are nice and staff friendly and helpful. But to charge $24 per night to park a rental car overnight is ridiculous. There should be no charge for Marriott Rewards members. This is strictly a money grab. Also, the so called parking attendants didn't bother to help me with our luggage either upon check-in or departure. Don't expect a tip for lousy service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Checked in, took off my shoes and found not one, not two, but THREE DEAD COCKROACHES throughout the room. Absolutely disgusting. The front desk guy checked me out and wouldn't even book me another hotel. STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank AaronZOhio
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I spent the last two nights in Room 308 at the Courtyard Marriott Houston Downtown and had a very unsatisfactory experience. As a very frequent business traveler, my main criteria for picking hotels are: 1) convenience to my client's office (the primary reason for choosing was a referral by my client), 2) a good bed; 3) a quiet and dark room for sleeping; 4) a good shower; and 5) good broadband access. I am concerned about value as well. As you can see from my reviews, I am more than happy to positive and sometimes ecstatic about hotels. Let me explain what made this stay so disappointing.

First, although this was not the fault of the hotel, the internet was down when I arrived at about 9:30 PM the first night (see point 5 above).

Second, I was given Room 308, an ADA room, I guess, but not a problem. However, the curtain on the window was shut because the pool is immediately outside the room and there were kids swimming there when I arrived. They were gone after I'd eaten dinner. However, when I turned the lights off to go to sleep, I discovered that there was a bright light shining into the room and there was no way to move the curtain to block it. (See point 3 above). It was too late to try to switch rooms that night by the time I'd discovered the problem.

Third, I worked from 8 AM to 10 PM yesterday (the 25th) and when I returned, the internet was working. Hooray. Although I came back to late to change rooms and still had to endure the outside shining into the room.

Fourth, I decided to see if there was any Olympics footage on the TV and tried to turn the TV on. The TV didn't turn on.

Finally, I'd showered in the morning the day before and got up for my shower this morning. I noticed that the maid had removed the two towels I'd used plus the bath mat (good) but had not replaced them. I didn't need an additional towel, but I did want the bath mat.

None of this is tragic but combined, it left me with a sense that the hotel is not being well-run. Moreover, the rate I was billed ($269) was pretty high for a Courtyard by Marriott; Courtyards usually provide breakfast as part of the room rate. I was surprised that this wasn't done here as well.

I asked for the manager's card as I was checking out for another 8 AM meeting at my client's office. I was given an assistant manager's card instead. I emailed the assistant manager and asked her to forward my comments to the manager. A well-run hotel always responds if there is a problem, if only to mollify the customer and to learn if there was anything they could do differently in the future to avoid problems. I was expecting to hear by the next day with at least an apologetic email and thanks for pointing out problems that they could correct. Remarkably, a month and a half later, I have received no response. This suggests that the management either doesn't care about incidents of poor service or is so booked because of a booming economy that losing one customer will not hurt. I've stayed at the Hotel ZaZa a couple of times since, but I have also mentioned to my client that the hotel stay was disappointing and I doubt they'll be recommending anyone come here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed during a conference.
The Lady in the Front Desk extremely friendly and great customer service
Room clean and well located in downtown close to a downtown shopping strip mall with good restaurants. Never go wrong with a courtyard

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank AaronA80
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This is a typical Courtyard by Marriott - clean, convenient, with lots of amenities. They distinguish themselves by how welcoming and friendly the front desk staff is. From the check-in, where they took their time to explain their amenities and local restaurants as well as anytime you walked by the front desk, they proved that they were one of the friendliest if not THE friendliest front desk staff I have ever met (Miriam was particularly helpful and nice).

The room we had was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable, although they had one of the smallest hotel closets I have ever seen. The maid service was efficient, albeit noisy - the first day we tried to take a nap and there was a banging noise that continued and it was a maid who kept going in and out of a room and allowing the door to bang on a flipped door lock. It happened about 10 times before I realized it wasn't going to stop unless I said something.

The pool is an outdoors pool and was particularly refreshing on hot Houston days. It is shared by the Residence Inn, which happens to be in the same building. It's a little funny to come off the elevator and see a sign pointing to the left for hotel rooms and a sign pointing to the right for the Residence Inn. The fitness center is well-kept, with 2 treadmills, an elliptical machine, and a stationary bicycle. There is also a weight bench with a dumbbell set. There are no mats or balls. The fitness room is open from 6 am to 11 pm.

There is a bistro next to the lobby with a good range of breakfast and dinner options (no lunch) as well as beer and wine.

The location of the hotel is quite convenient to the Convention Center (about 6 blocks, although in the Houston heat it sometimes feels like 10) and also sits on the Metro line and the Greenlink line (a free busline that travels to several destinations Downtown). It's across the street from the Houston Pavilions and Macy's. Macy's allows you access to the underground set of tunnels in Houston.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank malaplan
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had a lovely, large room with a comfortable bed. The layout of the room is a bit odd, but it is spacious and had a bed, couch, dresser and desk. The staff is friendly and helpful. It is located directly across the street from the Houston Pavilions which has dining and shopping. I can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jody B
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was in houston, tx for a conference and I got this hotel through Priceline. The price was just right and the location was convenient. The staff was really friendly and welcoming. For sure this will be my choice for next time.

• Stayed: June 2012