“Better than expected...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington, DC
“Better than expected...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for business for four nights. Honestly, I had pretty low expectations of this place - based on other Courtyard properties. But I was pleasantly surprised. The room was fairly large, with a King bed and sleeper sofa. The bed itself was comfortable, but I really didn't like the extra-soft pillows...I prefer a firm pillow. The other amenities were standard - 42 in flat screen TV, standard shower and desk. I really liked the separate vanity area and the decor of the room, which was pretty modern. I didn't have any maintenance issues (like slow drains in the shower) and I didn't see any signs of real wear in the room (no broken fixtures or tiles, etc.)

The only real disappointment was the wireless service, which was sporatic and only worked when it wanted to. It was pretty slow and unreliable.

The lobby area was nicely decorated and the restaurant bar was pretty good. I ate there for breakfast and after-dinner drinks and both were fine. The restaurant doesn't serve lunch, though...

As far as location, the hotel is pretty convenient to shopping, restaurants and night-life. Macy's is right across the street, as well as a large Forever 21 store and BCBG. There is a tunnel underground with a bunch of fast food restaurants. There are also many upscale sit-down restaurants including McCormick and Schmidt, III Forks, & Maia Bella.

Overall, a pretty good stay...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ATrav-El-Holic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

The interior of the hotel is much better than I thought from reading other reviews. I like the modern lobby set-up and the room was nice . Having reasonably priced food available most of the day was helpful.
During the day the area may be different but at my free evening time the surrounding blocks looked rundown and empty.
I like Courtyards, though, and would stay again for business.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank fancylittlelaminated
Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We recently stayed here, adjacent to a hotel we had stayed at before. The hotel choice was made because we were attending a Astros Game and this property is within a reasonable walking distance or a short cab fare. We stayed at the Residence Inn with one other couple before when two others stayed at this attached courtyard. What is funny about this hotel is that they are essentially the same property, but have two entrances. You cannot access each property through the first floor, but you can through the higher floors. The Courtyard lobby and rooms are well appointed and nice.
The property is short walk from several dining options and there is a Macy's (that closes at 5pm) across the street. Breakfast is offered for a charge and decent. The staff was friendly and the area is safe. There are a few good restaurant options and the property is near the House of Blues, which has some pretty decent concerts. Although the hotel is completely renovated it is still a very old building that was designed as a office tower and not a hotel. As such the layouts are not very consistent, so be very nice to your check-in clerk, as this is one of those properties where a simple smile will make the difference between a nice room and a large walk-in closet. Overall, if you have to stay downtown Houston and you do not need to stay at the Ritz, try out this Courtyard or its less glamorous neighbor the Residence Inn. I believe you will be happy and that is all that matters!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jerrythetraveler
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed two nights for business travel. The room was very nice and the bed and pillows were excellent. Some of the best sleep I've had while traveling.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank bozleesmom
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

The rooms were small. I realized after the fact that I should have been given a room with a King Bed and a full sofa and was only given a room with a Kig Bed. We really didn't spend anytime in the room so not a big deal for a quick 1 night stay. No wifi. No fridge in the room. Bathroom was tiny. AC had to stay on all the time to cool down the room. Parking was $17 per night and only option is valet. They have a starbucks in the hotel. Central downtown location so convenient to area attractions. For a Courtyard it was a large hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tmstewar2
hr1487
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Overall the Courtyard Marriott was a pleasant experience. The building is beautiful and both the valet and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. On two occassions I asked opinions on what to do and was enthusiastically pointed in helpful directions. The only problem with the recommendations from two people was that they included the "chain" style of restaurants. It should be common sense that we don't want fare from the local McDonalds when asking for recommendations! However mixed in with the bad we got some good (Guadalajara, Pete's Piano Bar).

The check in was fast and prompt. I don't agree with paying 22 dollars a day for valet parking but its a downtown location so its to be somewhat expected. It was also annoying that the hotel didn't have wi-fi available throughout - you needed something with a connection port to hook to ethernet in your room. If you wanted wi-fi you had to use it in the lobby where they had several computers readily available making it kind of silly to bring your own and risk contamination. As for hooking up in the room - its the age of the tablet PC...not many people have ethernet ports anymore!

I'm a big fan of, and used to staying in, Holiday Inn Express where they have amazing breakfast (and wi-fi). Unfortunately the small cafe on site at the Courtyard produced bland and expensive fare - 26 bucks for a BLT, a mcmuffin style sandwich, a fruit cup, a smoothie, and a cup of coffee. If you've got the time go elsewhere (we didn't.)

Bottom line: Very clean, nice smelling, spacious rooms - although the bathroom is very small. Friendly staff, GREAT LOCATION (we walked to several restaurants and bars), beautiful view, lovely building, pool, and fitness center. Knowing about the minute bad things would make a stay BETTER because I'm more prepared for it and the good things outweigh the small details. I'd book at the Courtyard again.

The pool was nice with one caviat: You can NOT walk on the deck during the afternoon! The tiles they have around the pool LITERALLY BURN the skin on your feet! I actually checked the few times to I braved walking around to make sure I didn't have any blisters! There should be a sign at the doors advising of the situation or put some rubber matting down! I forgot sandals, my fault, but I didn't THINK that it would be such a risk! I wasn't the only one scurrying around as fast as possible.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank hr1487
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

I booked a hotel room for the night so we could enjoy dining and the theatre without the long commute home. The room was fine but nothing special. Other hotels give you something, i.e. a cookie, a safe, a fridge. Everything worked fine in our room and we had no problems but for over $300 (with tax) for one night, I expect a little more than just a room. It did have a mini coffee maker that made a cup of coffee (I drink tea and no tea was provided). As a comparison, when we stayed at the Hilton Americas (also downtown), the bar was still open when we returned from the theatre for a nightcap - here it closes at 10 p.m.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple