“Great location, nice quiet room”

Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #167 of 511 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Great location, nice quiet room”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed two nights for business travel. The room was very nice and the bed and pillows were excellent. Some of the best sleep I've had while traveling.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank bozleesmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2011

The rooms were small. I realized after the fact that I should have been given a room with a King Bed and a full sofa and was only given a room with a Kig Bed. We really didn't spend anytime in the room so not a big deal for a quick 1 night stay. No wifi. No fridge in the room. Bathroom was tiny. AC had to stay on all the time to cool down the room. Parking was $17 per night and only option is valet. They have a starbucks in the hotel. Central downtown location so convenient to area attractions. For a Courtyard it was a large hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tmstewar2
hr1487
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Overall the Courtyard Marriott was a pleasant experience. The building is beautiful and both the valet and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. On two occassions I asked opinions on what to do and was enthusiastically pointed in helpful directions. The only problem with the recommendations from two people was that they included the "chain" style of restaurants. It should be common sense that we don't want fare from the local McDonalds when asking for recommendations! However mixed in with the bad we got some good (Guadalajara, Pete's Piano Bar).

The check in was fast and prompt. I don't agree with paying 22 dollars a day for valet parking but its a downtown location so its to be somewhat expected. It was also annoying that the hotel didn't have wi-fi available throughout - you needed something with a connection port to hook to ethernet in your room. If you wanted wi-fi you had to use it in the lobby where they had several computers readily available making it kind of silly to bring your own and risk contamination. As for hooking up in the room - its the age of the tablet PC...not many people have ethernet ports anymore!

I'm a big fan of, and used to staying in, Holiday Inn Express where they have amazing breakfast (and wi-fi). Unfortunately the small cafe on site at the Courtyard produced bland and expensive fare - 26 bucks for a BLT, a mcmuffin style sandwich, a fruit cup, a smoothie, and a cup of coffee. If you've got the time go elsewhere (we didn't.)

Bottom line: Very clean, nice smelling, spacious rooms - although the bathroom is very small. Friendly staff, GREAT LOCATION (we walked to several restaurants and bars), beautiful view, lovely building, pool, and fitness center. Knowing about the minute bad things would make a stay BETTER because I'm more prepared for it and the good things outweigh the small details. I'd book at the Courtyard again.

The pool was nice with one caviat: You can NOT walk on the deck during the afternoon! The tiles they have around the pool LITERALLY BURN the skin on your feet! I actually checked the few times to I braved walking around to make sure I didn't have any blisters! There should be a sign at the doors advising of the situation or put some rubber matting down! I forgot sandals, my fault, but I didn't THINK that it would be such a risk! I wasn't the only one scurrying around as fast as possible.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank hr1487
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I booked a hotel room for the night so we could enjoy dining and the theatre without the long commute home. The room was fine but nothing special. Other hotels give you something, i.e. a cookie, a safe, a fridge. Everything worked fine in our room and we had no problems but for over $300 (with tax) for one night, I expect a little more than just a room. It did have a mini coffee maker that made a cup of coffee (I drink tea and no tea was provided). As a comparison, when we stayed at the Hilton Americas (also downtown), the bar was still open when we returned from the theatre for a nightcap - here it closes at 10 p.m.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I have to start off by saying Houston is a weird place. If you already know this then you will probably have no issues with this hotel. The staff was friendly enough but totally unprofessional, the rooms large enough but starting to show their age, the location is in the only area downtown with something supposedly going on at night but Houston is strange.

We arrived late in the evening around 8pm and wanted to grab some grub. No-one seems to know anything about this city. The staff told us to go down main street and that there are restaurants all over. All we found were a couple of greasy diners. So then we were told to go to Washington ave, the only nightlife area in the city. No-one knew anything about this area other than it was open late. The hotel was unable to get ahold of a cab and when I managed to flag one down on the street, he didn't know where this area was. Again, there were supposed to be bars all up and down the street but instead there were banks, furniture stores, drycleaners etc. with the odd bar scattered here and there. For the fourth largest city in the US, there is nothing going on!

If you're a tourist staying in Houston, I'd recommend staying on the outskirts and avoid the city. Another shocker was that there are only 2 country bars in Houston and the one that we tried was not a real country bar. It looks like a great place to live but a horrible place to be entertained.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank scrambled_legs
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Nice surprise. The rooms are large with high ceilings as this building is older and isnt layed out like a typical Courtyard. Walk 4-5 blocks to the Conference center or Hilton Americas. Several top restaurants within 5 blocks as well. Didnt use the pool. Felt like a full service Marriott for a Courtyard price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2010

The hotel, unlike a lot of Courtyard properties, needs some help. The service is well below what I would expect from Marriott hotels and the amenities are being cut back to the point of making it unpleasant to stay.
Our room overlooked the Houston Metro Rail. Normally not an issue except that the windows are single pane and allow the noise of the tram to filter in all night! Difficult to sleep when you hear a bell ringing every few minutes. Otherwise, the room was ok. The office chair is so low (at it's highest level) that you end up with sore shoulders from reaching up to the desk to work.
My biggest beef is that every other Marriott property I visit offers free coffee throughout the day. Not this one. When I asked, the answer was "Nobody drinks coffee at this time of day." News flash, I do! The recommendation is to visit the Starbucks on the corner. Thank you, but no.
Everytime we left the hotel to look for a restaurant, go to work etc. we were accosted by one or two "gentlemen" demanding spare change. I realize that homelessness and panhandling are not the hotels issue but, encouraging these folks to move along and not bother the guests would be very much appreciated.
I visit Houston regularly and will now make an effort to visit other hotels, even other Marriotts rather than stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business