“a good example of why the HIEX chain is so popular”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area
Ranked #265 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express motel is on the Katy Freeway, near Houston's Texas-sized Memorial Park. We've stayed there twice, both in December, three years apart and it was a fine place to say both times. The location is excellent, out of the intensely crowded Galleria area but close enough to all the places you want to visit in Houston.
The hotel is superbly well maintained with the furniture and equipment showing no signs of wear after three years' use. Despite its proximity to the busy Katy Freeway, the rooms are amazingly quiet. The fitness center is small for a six-story hotel but the equipment is in excellent condition.
The only less than five-star feature was a relatively limited breakfast choice which was probably due to the Christmas holiday rush.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The convenient location comes with a price - IH 10 (aka Katy Frwy) has traffic noise 24/7 so I highly recommend packing some earplugs. In addition, the walls (and floors) are not very sound proof, and they have some kind of power-assist toilet flush that is extremely loud - even through earplugs!

I was disappointed that during our entire 5-day stay over Thanksgiving weekend the pool was "out-of-service"; the adjacent workout work was stifling hot and unusable, and then the NBC Channel did not have sound ("a problem with their cable supplier"). It would be nice if they had the HGTV channel in addition (or instead of) the 4 ESPN and Speed channels. There is a strong room freshener smell in the 5th floor hall that could be a problem for those with respiratory ailments.

Most of the staff was friendly and the free breakfast was decent. We'll probably stay there again but next time I'll ask in advance about hotel amenity issues.

Room Tip: Take earplugs! Top floor may be a little less noisy - at least from above. If you use the (free) L...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
edgarcia79, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thanks for your honest criticisms with out your point of view we can not make ourselves better.
We do admit for some of out guest the rooms facing the freeways can be noise. This is precisely why we added Kings to the rear of the building. We also provide some of our deluxe accommodations such as our two room suite that help most of our guest sleep like a baby.

I have to agree it was very disappointing to us as well as we struggled to get our pool up and running that weekend. Unfortunately Thanksgiving being such a big holiday causes a lot of breakdown in getting repairs done. Most people do not want to work the holiday.

We strive for a better hotel every day. We can not accomplish that with out you.

Thanks

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I felt very welcome at this hotel and the staff was very friendly. Lovette, the front desk clerk was especially helpful and made this stay worth writing a review about. The indoor pool was nice and warm and the bed comfortable. Not to mention, I ate a cinnamon roll every morning.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the hotel to reduce any highway noise you may encounter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for the great compliments. I will make sure Lovette gets a chance to read your comments. I know the good comments will make her day. The Cinnamon rolls are so good any chance I get to stay at an express I grab me one too. We know you have many choice when staying in Houston hopefully you will stay with us next time.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful and they gave us a very early check-in which we appreciated.The room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. The decor is a little dated, but very adequate. The heater and toilet were noisy. The worse problem was a barking dog in a nearby room, but I suppose that is not the hotel's fault :( The breakfast was hot-- the standard HI Express fare. (I love their pancakes.) Overall, it was a comfortable place to stay overnight.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Tried this hotel on a recent monthly trip to Houston. Check in was a little slow because they did not have clean rooms ready. I did get recognized at a Platinum PC member and received a nice gift bag at check in. When I exited the elevator for my floor I was overwhelmed with the smell of air freshener (very strong). The room was a good size with a microwave and refrigerator but could use some updating. The furniture, fixtures and soft goods are outdates compared to what is seem with renovated and new HI Express hotels. It was hot outside and they had the a/c on when I entered the room, which was nice. The ceiling had cracks and looks like there were botched repair work. The carpet could use some cleaning. The bathroom is small and could use some updating. Breakfast was a little disappointing - I prefer waffles and thee was a pancake machine. All the other food looked a little dried out so I just had juice (not competitive with competing brands). Overall this is a good HI Express that is clean but could pay more attention to detail. Example - Dead plants at the exterior entrance. Heavy bruised apples in the lobby and some of the work seen around the hotel doesn’t look to be completed by someone who is a professional at repairs and renovation. I had future reservations but decided to switch my stays to another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel recently, while visiting from London. The hotel was perfect for our needs, the room was large, and the fridge was a welcome addition. There was no noise whatsoever from I10. The bed linen was changed daily and the room cleaned beautifully. Breakfast was plentiful - no excuse for going hungry ! The reception staff were wonderfully helpful and very friendly. We would not hesitate to return on our next trip. True, the view is not wonderful, but who wants to sit in their hotel room all day looking out of the window !

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel is located right on interstate 10, which means that you can hear noise from the highway. The location is OK, close to downtown Houston. The rooms are not too renovated, as the furniture is dated. Also, the hallways and rooms feel quite stuffy and dirty. Overall, the hotel is not clean. The breakfast is good, with cinnamon rolls, eggs, ham, etc. I would try a different hotel next time I visit Houston.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Holly R,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your stay. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed breakfast. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments regarding the room and housekeeping are very troubling. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you. Rest assured these will certainly be looked into.

Although your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you will give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D