Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area
Ranked #229 of 511 Hotels in Houston
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel recently, while visiting from London. The hotel was perfect for our needs, the room was large, and the fridge was a welcome addition. There was no noise whatsoever from I10. The bed linen was changed daily and the room cleaned beautifully. Breakfast was plentiful - no excuse for going hungry ! The reception staff were wonderfully helpful and very friendly. We would not hesitate to return on our next trip. True, the view is not wonderful, but who wants to sit in their hotel room all day looking out of the window !

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located right on interstate 10, which means that you can hear noise from the highway. The location is OK, close to downtown Houston. The rooms are not too renovated, as the furniture is dated. Also, the hallways and rooms feel quite stuffy and dirty. Overall, the hotel is not clean. The breakfast is good, with cinnamon rolls, eggs, ham, etc. I would try a different hotel next time I visit Houston.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Holly R,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your stay. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed breakfast. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments regarding the room and housekeeping are very troubling. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you. Rest assured these will certainly be looked into.

Although your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you will give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I love Holiday Inn Express hotels but I never will stay in this one again.

Pros: close to attractions (movie theatre, club, restaurants, shopping); free breakfast; pass to LA Fitness gym across the highway; staff was amicable

Cons: Right in front of I-10 freeway so horrible view; not a lot of families; parking lot was small and inconvenient for big truck parking; bad lighting in parking lot - I did not feel safe; could use some updates - hallways and bathrooms were dated and stuffy

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the freeway - I think the other side faces residential neighborhood but it...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear missjazzsinger,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your experience. We’re happy to see that our location was ideal for your activities and pleased you liked our free breakfast as well as hotel staff. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially with the room accommodations received as well as the condition of the hallway and parking area. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Beaumont, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our one night stay was a little disappointing. The room had a musty odor and the source of that smell seemed to be the damp carpet... In fact the whole room had a damp feel. We called the front desk to make them aware and get another room only to be informed that the property was sold out. It was after 11PM. We were stuck. The next morning, to prove out point we brought the receipt (slipped under the door during night) to the front desk and presented the clerk with a limp sheet of paper. "Yep, the room must be damp..." For this we were given some reward vouchers to re-imburse some of the reward points I spent on the room (30% to be exact). At least we got something. They filled out a maintenance ticket while we were watching, so hopefully this will be addressed. ...hopefully... We also saw a portable de-humidifier running in the hallway down from our room, so this may be more wide spread than just room 611.

If you choose to stay here anyway, be sure to get your breakfast early. There was little left when we got to it. And the stiff crust on the eggs suggested it had been there a while.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
edgarcia79, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am extremely sad that we could not correct the problem that you had during your stay. Sadly Houston has always been a place for humidity and we have installed dehumidifiers / AC units in all our rooms. We do this so that way we can combat these horrendous issues and make sure that this does not happen again to our guest.

As for our breakfast we could have done better. We will diffidently make your note known to our staff so that they mayst
Austin
Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel on business. When we checked in we paid in cash, but they insisted it was company policy to still have a card on file (as many do).

BUT even though we already paid, they charged my card as well! Saying it was a "pending" transaction that would clear. Well, with daily effort talking to rude employees and managers, I was FINALLY returned my money TWO WEEKS later.

Had I not noticed, they would have stolen my money happily. The fact that they tried to justify the fact that they charged me for two nights when I stayed for one night was insane.

Besides the horrible money issue, hotel quality was great.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston - Memorial Park Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Kelti R,

I would like to thank you on your review. We are sorry that you had problems with the charges. We have spoken to our staff in making sure that we are not pulling a full authorization on cards when our guests are paying cash .We continue to work on issues.Hope that you will give us a second chance.

Griselda Hernandez
Front Desk Supervisor
lafayette,la
Reviewed June 24, 2012

everything was great, I visited the website and read reviews before going, and I would like to say everyone has their own opinion due to their personality. I had a pleasent stay and I would go back there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel was conveniently located off the freeway. The rooms were well maintained and the front desk was very attentive. The breakfast staff kept pace with the crowd and was clean. The parking area was large enough to handle the number of guests and safe. I did not use the pool but it looked well maintained. This was my second stay at this hotel and I will gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the highway...if you don't sleep well with traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear MarkyMarkGA,

Thank you for staying with us again and leaving us a review. We are so pleased you like our location. We look forward in having you stay with us in the future.

Sincerely