“Really nice evening and food was delish!”

Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 8,435 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Brazilian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We celebrated our anniversary at Chama Gaucha and we're really glad we did. The ambiance was great, salad bar and main entrees were yummy. We had a few drinks with dinner and it came to 115 without tip. Many families had brought their small children, a few didn't even touch their food. I can't imagine spending that kind of money to have a child pick at their plate but to each his own. I would consider this a nice romantic spot. The staff knew what we needed before we did, really great service. They also brought us a slice of cake since we were celebrating, nice touch. They also offer free valet parking that we chose not to use because we arrived pretty early.

1  Thank mrsprim2000

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Being a regular at Pappas Brothers, next door (almost share parking lots) I decided to try Chama in a moment of weakness. Pappas was full, I didn't have a reservation, so I parked at Chama valet and walked in without a reservation. The place was fairly empty for a Saturday night. I asked for a menu but was told that they don't have a menu and they serve on a rotating menu where the waiters come to the table and offer different types of food. I thought that would be irritating to have so many persons come to the table and interrupt our family conversation but I was told that all I have to do is to turn the coaster to "red" and they would stop coming. I think they are all from Brazil where no one stops at a "red" light because we all had our coasters on red and they kept coming. Did I mention that they don't bring the salad to your table? It's self service. If I wanted to self serve, I would had stayed home. Not my thing!! If Pappas wasn't so full we would have walked out and wait one hour or more for a table next door. The food was OK but not extraordinary. The filet was not even close to the buttery one at PB. My son enjoyed the quantity, but since I am the one paying, I am not going to bother to return. We skipped coffee, desserts, after dinner drinks and walked over to Pappas to finish off the evening.

6  Thank Jamison I
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were hoping for a Brazilian steakhouse and then noticed that this one was rated #3 in all of Houston. Fortunately it was near our hotel by the Galleria. This is a classy restaurant but not stuffy at all. The service was phenomenal. I think the guys carrying the meat were almost running as they scurried around. We had 6 different types of beef, 2 types of lamb, a couple types of chicken and passed on the sausage because who wants sausage when there's steak coming around? We ate so much that we had to walk back to our hotel so that we wouldn't explode! If you like all you can eat meat, then this is the place for you!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Can Westheimer support another Brazilian Steakhouse? Angus is across street from Chama, Fogo a couple minutes away, Pradaria not much further, Nelore on Richmond and Montrose. Went to Chama at a friends recommendation but I didn't feel they live up to the quality of Fogo. I come to Houston on a regular basis and at night I always pick a new place to try. I was thinking about going to Fogo and after reading Chama reviews due to my friend's recommendation decided to go out on a limb. From the moment I called in to make a reservation to eating the dessert, I was not awed. The person that answered the phone couldn't understand what I was saying. I know I am from NY and I have a strong accent but I don't think it's that bad. Of course when I arrived my name was misspelled. Strike one. Their salad bar does not compare to Fogo. Several of the items looked dry, the quantity and the quality were not there. Their ribeye was dry to me, they brought me more and the second batch was also dry. Strike two.Fogo's Ribeye is not dry. I wonder if the quality of meat they serve at Chama is the problem. Sirloin was pretty good but the lamb was blah. I skipped most of the cheaper meats and concentrated on the most expensive cuts. Filet had no taste, or should I say it tasted salty. Ordered the dessert Creme Brulee and again I was not impressed. I have had better in less expensive restaurants and it wasn't even close to Fogo's . Overall I give them two stars for making me loose my time and money going there instead of Fogo. My advice is to stick to Fogo.

7  Thank Gene T
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let's start with the basics.....Great environment, great service (to the point of being almost too attentive), friendly staff, great addictive cheese rolls and great martini's.

Now the food....the salad bar had a great selection, was beautifully presented and was constantly kept fresh and it showed up in the flavors. Be prepared to have several men in boots cutting you meat descend upon your table as soon as you turn over your card announcing that you wish to be served. All the cuts I had were great, but i really enjoyed their specialty top sirloin and the bottom sirloin. Be sure to ask for a cheat sheet of all their meat offerings.

But, when they brought out the lamb, that is when i had a truly memorable experience, the best lamb I have every eaten. The leg of lamb was extremely tender and flavorful and then the lamb chops followed. The chops melted in my mouth like foie gras with a perfect lamb flavor with perfect charring. My only description is OMG.

There is a tendency to get caught up in the hustle of the Brazilian steakhouse experience so be sure to slow down and move on your time and savor the experience.

4  Thank bdmaustin