“Boo Zoo”

Ranked #3 of 318 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Houston Zoo provides a fun, unique, and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world. Essentially a small city encompassing a world of ecosystems and experiences, the Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts. We have over 6000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! In addition, we have over 1.84 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well being of our residents and guests.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The houston zoo is a good place to take your child during Halloween. They have all sorts of stuff from face painting, tatoo, to treat or treating. There is also a pumpin patch for the kids and they can also decorate it. While they are there they can enjoys all the animals too. My kids enjoy the enertainment at the pond where they can dress in there costume and learn some dane moves. The con side is that parking is very bad. We had to park 1 mile away and we were only 2 hours later before the door opens. Other than that kids can see what other kids are dress for halloween.

1  Thank elizabeththaovu
Write a ReviewReviews (3,430)

Reviewed October 20, 2010

Been going to this zoo since I was a child and now I take my 3 year old, probably 2-3 times a year. It's amazing how far it has come. The children's area is fantastic and definitely where we spend most of our time. But the zoo is so large that you could spend the entire day and probably not see everything. I remember not seeing many animals when I was younger. It's not like that anymore. Animals everywhere and very active ones at that. We saw two grizzly bears wrestling within 5 feet of us! And the cheetahs were racing each other! Amazing! Personally I like the small primate/rainforest exhibit, which is indoors (read: air conditioned) and very interactive with many small, active monkeys, chipmunks, and fish. She even got to hold a snake! Judging by the squeals and laughter, I think this was probably one of my daughter's favorites too. The indoor AND outdoor bird exhibit is very nice as well and typically missed by most of the general public.

I also enjoy the fact that they kept the original location of the zoo, in the downtown area, yet while you are walking around you tend to forget you're in an urban area. LOTS of tall trees, shade, and wide walking trails. My daughter can walk beside the stroller without getting bulldozed. We usually go on a weekday M-Th when it first opens, as there tends to be less of a crowd during these times. But we've also been late in the afternoon and it's nice too. I would avoid going on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday as the school groups and crowds tend to make it a little unnerving for the younger kiddos. And don't forget about the Houston heat and humidity. If you're not used to it, and you're not prepared, you won't be here long. One GREAT thing is, the zoo still allows personal food and drinks to be brought in, so you don't have to buy the ridiculously expensive zoo food (which is actually pretty good, but still mucho dinero).

The only things I would like to see improved are: the gorilla exhibit. There used to be one back in the day and now it's completely gone and turned into a wild dog exhibit - strange. Poor trade if you ask me. Also, the zoo is just not very stroller or wheelchair friendly. I don't mean that in terms of accessibility; I mean that in terms of view-ability. Most things are only visable if you are standing up. There's usually a foliage barrier that I assume makes it more natural for the animals, but it sure makes it hard for little ones and people with special needs. When my daughter was younger I had to lift her out of the stroller to see almost everything. Now that she is taller and can walk by herself it's better but I still appreciate when my husband can tag along and lift her up to see everything.

Overall, this zoo is an asset to the city, and has come a long way. It is a very enjoyable way to spend a day or half-day in Houston for a very reasonable rate. At the end of your trip, I recommend taking the Hermann Park train around the park for a shaded, relaxing tour. Very nice. And if the kids have any energy left they can play in the open fountains for free. Score one for the Houston Zoo! As a fifth-generation Houstonian, I'm glad to see it thriving.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

We got there early, which was great by the time we left there was no parking left. I reccomend purchasing tickets at Fiesta Grocery Store, no line. The line at the Zoo was quite long. There were no shows, no activities going on inside the zoo and no one to ask how to find a specific animal. Not the fault of the zoo, but most of the animals were sleeping or we could not even find them in the cages. There were many exhibits closed or under repair. We walked to whole zoo in one hour and were on way.

1  Thank kimmyinkaty
Reviewed September 3, 2010

You're in the middle of Houston, but you wouldn't know it when enveloped in the zoo. We buy the annual pass, which is a good bargain in that we can take the young-ones for a couple of hours and then leave. Return a few weeks or months later and stay a shory time again. Going for a full day visit is tiring and Houston's weather is extremely hot. You will walk a great deal, so prepare beforehand. The refreshments are priced high, but the zoo allows patrons to bring their own food and drink, a rarity these days. The kids section is one of the best we have seen in the nation.

2  Thank MaltaBound
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I was very happy with our trip to the zoo this past weekend. The zoo was very clean and there was so many animals to look at. They have a big collection of giraffes, about 8, and we could view them up close. They have a 4 month old baby elephant that was adorable. There were several indoor exhibits, as well, which was nice, since it was so hot outside. We spent almost 5 hours walking around and may not of seen everything, there is so much to see, but toward the afternoon we just got too hot. We plan to go back this fall, as we felt it was a wonderful zoo.

1  Thank my3girlsAustin