“There are animals, but it's not a world class zoo!”
Review of Houston Zoo

Ranked #15 of 322 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Houston Zoo provides a fun, unique, and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world. Essentially a small city encompassing a world of ecosystems and experiences, the Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts. We have over 6000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! In addition, we have over 1.84 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well being of our residents and guests.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The title says it all. I wish our city leaders would take the time to visit the zoos in San Diego and Washington DC. (one or two people, don't send the whole staff down on a vacation!) then bring those ideas back and start over. We have a great city but our attractions have been left in the past. We can do better!

2  Thank Wheintze
Write a ReviewReviews (3,501)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
in 108 reviews
in 52 reviews

Reviewed May 5, 2013

For the size of Houston, this is a very small zoo. That's ok, but what's not is the customer service provided by the staff. I have children and would go often, but more often then not, the staff was terrible and feel that they are doing a favor to you by simply talking to you and providing basic services (and I'm not talking about people talking care of the animals - I'm taking about the gate attendance and employees who sell food). There a so many example of this, I'm not going to try to list them other then to say, the problems have stopped me from going anymore.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

On a cloudy day, we visited the zoo since it was not far from our hotel.
It was large and had intresting animals and sights, but somehow I was excpecting more. I have visited Brookfield Zoo and Miami Dade Zoo, and they where in better state. Perhaps cleeaner.
But the personal was nice, so if you wanna have a 4 hour vist it's good.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was a little disappointed with the zoo. Being such a large metropolitan city, I thought it would be better. I felt sorry for the animals. The pack animals that usually live in groups, were the only one in the cage.

We went because it was a part of our Houston City Pass. If you have the pass- see it. If not pass on this attraction.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Even over all the fabulous shopping, this is my favorite place to visit in Houston. I have been coming here since I was a child, and have been bringing my daughter here since she was very small. We never fail to have great experiences here as a family, we are always eager to visit and see what the animals are doing, and what the Zoo itself is doing to enhance the experiences for the animals and visitors alike.