“One of my kids' favorite places”
Review of Houston Zoo

Ranked #3 of 318 things to do in Houston
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Houston Zoo provides a fun, unique, and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world. Essentially a small city encompassing a world of ecosystems and experiences, the Houston Zoo is made up of many moving parts. We have over 6000 permanent residents (our animals) for whom we provide housing, meals, medical care and, yes, even education! In addition, we have over 1.84 million guests each year who come to experience our incredible variety of animals and ecosystems, as well as attend special private and public events and entertainment. Our dedicated staff works around the clock to ensure that the Zoo is always running smoothly for the safety and well being of our residents and guests.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have been members of the zoo for about eight years now. My kids love the zoo! The animals are happy, the habitats are well-maintained, and the trees are beautiful! When we visit, my kids always have to visit the octopus, the Moray eel, the reptile house, and the Natural Encounters building. We, of course, always visit the carousel.

If you have kids, definitely stop by the Swap Shop in the kids' area. They can set up an account, take in things that they have found in nature, and trade them in for points. They can then use their points to "buy" things from the shop (shells, bones, rocks, etc.). My kids LOVE it!

The only thing I detest about the zoo would be the weekend/holiday crowds and parking. The two times that we've been on a weekend, I've encountered some extremely rude people. I had a man flick me off in the parking lot because he wanted the parking spot for which I was waiting. He had kids in his car, and I had my kids with me. I had to roll up my windows so they couldn't hear his profane mouth. So...I try to only go during the week when it's much more peaceful!

Overall, we love this place!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,431)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We hadn't been to the Houston Zoo in quiet a few years until this visit. They have updated and upgraded many exhibit areas since our last visit, and some large exhibit areas are being re-done now. For comparison, I will say that we went thru the San Diego Zoo a few years ago, and can say for certain that overall, the Houston Zoo was kept in cleaner and better condition than the more famous San Diego Zoo was when we were last there. We went to every exhibit area in the zoo, but did not spend time at feedings or going to any presentations, but it still took us 4 1/2 hours (non-stop) to walk thru. They had fifteen 'Meet the Keeper' talks scheduled for the day we were there. If you go to see all of the exhibits and go to some of the talks or the 4-D experience, you may want to allow two days to get it all in. They close at 6 PM and traffic is heavy in the medical center area where the zoo is, so I suggest you plan to leave before the rush hour. Also,
this is Houston and it is hot and humid in summer months, so be prepared.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is the only zoo I've been to where I wanted to go back again one day.. it's not just something to do with the kids, it's fun for all as long as it's springtime or fall, it gets too hot in mid summer.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lot's, and lot's of animals from sea, land and air. The quality of my experience here is superb, as I can compare to several other zoos. There are also a couple other attractions just next door to the zoo.
The exhibits are amazing and well cared for. This place is very big, so get ready stay awhile.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Good zoo, not super outstanding but nice. Giraffe display is awesome. Will be going back soon. Don't remember much else that stood out. They were feeding the elephants while we where there and the trainer provided some nice 1/1 time with us so that was a plus.