“Good Hotel--Within Walking Distance of Minute Maid Park”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #33 of 516 Hotels in Houston
St. Louis, MO
“Good Hotel--Within Walking Distance of Minute Maid Park”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This is a nice, upscale hotel only 5 blocks from Minute Maid Park. The hotel was clean and the staff was courteous. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast buffet each morning and a milk & cookies buffet each night. The hotel also has a rooftop pool but it is only 3' deep. Parking can be troublesome. The hotel offers valet parking at a rate of $25.00 per day. There is also metered parking on the street and several parking garages nearby. I would suggest parking at the Christ Church parking garage located on San Jacinto between Texas and Praire (only 1.5 blocks from the hotel and a more reasonable $8.00 per day). For great homemade burgers and fries, try the Hubcap Grill located on Prairie between Fannin and San Jacinto (also only 1.5 blocks from the hotel--it may look like a dive but it was without a doubt the best bacon cheeseburger I have had in a long long time)!

We would stay at the Magnolia again!

1 Thank zax358

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We went to the Astro game and selected Magnolia because my wife and I stayed there 6 years ago. This trip we had our kids 8/10 girls. The girls loved the experience except there was not much that was directed to kids except the late night cookies and milk. Pool is very small and was not kid friendly with some adult ladies having a party at the pool. TV stations only had 1 kid channel for them to watch late in the evenings. The hotel is very clean and the staff, especially the club room on the 2nd floor, they were great. Very close to Minute Maid park, we were able to walk to the game. Parking is terrible, the parking meters are active on Saturday until 6pm, but off on Sunday. The Hotel did not comp for parking at the lots, $24 a day if you want the hotel to take care of your vehicle. We had a nice stay but would be a better spot if there were more kid activities near... No wireless in bedrooms, business center only had 2 computers.

Tustin, California
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Outstanding hotel. Best price and location. We were very impressed with the sevice and the hotel shuttle service. The breatfast buffet was very good and the evening cookies were great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Wildwood, Missouri
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The hotel was upscale but not stuffy. Its proximity to Minute Maid Park was a quick walk but far enough to avoid traffic tangles upon departure. We especially liked the lounge area on the second floor which decreased congestion in the lobby. We will stay here again when attending MLB games.

Austin
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I'm graciously giving them 2 stars. My heart wants to give them zero (see #1 for lack of stars below), but in good conscience, I'm giving them 2, oh nevermind, 1 star it is!

The 1-star rating for:
1. Sleeping room was clean
2. Comp happy hour drinks (2 per person)

The lack of stars for:
1. When my car was returned by valet parking there was a 6" crack in the windshield. I'm getting the ignore/run around by the company/garage Magnolia contracts with with no positive results. No one from the hotel even followed up with me. The Operations Manager forwarded me to the garage's contact. I know, I know, it probably says somewhere they're not responsible for damage, but I would hope the hotel might care that I filled out an incident report. I guess not.* (By the way parking is $24/night and it's uncovered on the top floor of the garage a block away. Do yourself a favor and park your car yourself.)

2. The rooftop pool is kind of a joke. It's the size of 3 medium sized hot tubs. The pool area doesn't have teak furniture as the pictures show. It's plastic tan furniture that I could get at Lowe's. There was a dirty Starbuck's coffee cup that I know was not new.

3. The breakfast included in the room rate is fine (with hot items, that's nice) except they put out bread and butter plates instead of full size plates. Now I understand we're in a recession, but come on. I wasn't planning to eat a pound of bacon and 16 biscuits, but I'd rather not make 3 trips back to the buffet to eat a normal size meal.

4. The staff is minimally friendly. Nothing terrible, but nothing exceptional. Except the person who took our incident report before we left the hotel. He reacted with concern.

5. No robes. I know this may seem finicky, but it's something I expected.

Overall, I would probably never return to Magnolia, won't recommend it to anyone, and will probably tell everyone I know about my experience.

*I work in hospitality therefore one might think I am an especially fussy guest. This is only partially true. While I do have high expectations, I am a person without snobbery or a sense of entitlement. I only expect the level of service a property offers. If I was staying at a Super 8, I would not expect 4-diamond treatment (although I've encountered friendlier staff at Super 8s).

3 Thank teekush
Dequincy, Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My son and I stayed at this hotel and enjoyed every minute. We were able to walk to the Astros game and afterwards swim in a pool on the 23rd floor that overlooked the city! We will definitly go back!!!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The complimentary food (breakfast and cookies) is excellent, the staffpeople are very friendly, and the view from the rootfop pool is incredible. Our room was immaculate, and the bed was very comfortable. The location is also perfect if you want to enjoy downtown Houston without needing to drive or get a cab.