“Cutting corners?”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #22 of 504 Hotels in Houston
“Cutting corners?”
Reviewed March 21, 2006

We have enjoyed our stays at the other Magnolia's in Denver and Dallas so had some expectations for Houston. Unfortunately there were some definite differences which would make us hesitate to ever go back there. Corners are being cut on the things that set the Magnolia apart.
We do have to say that the rooms are spacious and the overall decor is really nice and contemporary. Bed was comfortable as was the temperature in the room. Another plus was the roomy workout room. Our "free" in room internet never worked the whole time we were there but we could go wireless in the lounge. The toilet had very little pressure and didn't flush well and the drain in the sink was only open the tiniest amount making it stop up, too. The shower had the pressure of a light rain.
At other Magnolias we enjoyed the complimentary wine and lovely appetizers offered but this has been eliminated as have all the carb-free choices from the breakfast buffet (unless you want to pay $10.95 for the chef cooked alternative or pay $8 for two eggs) Even the lower economical hotels offer hard boiled eggs or oatmeal on their continental breakfast bars.
The staff wasn't always available and we never really could tell who was in charge or who could speak English. There was just an overall sense of cluelessness.
SO if you can overlook the extras that are missing this is a comfortable place to sleep but there may be other places that are less expensive and offer a bit more service.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Reviewed February 28, 2006

The hotel itself is not bad...nice decor and comfortable rooms. I would say the shortfall is with the staff and their inability to service guests. Here are a few examples of my experience....no hair dryer in room so I called the front desk to make the request and was told one would be sent right up...2 days later when I checked out I still didn't have a hair dryer. The other thing that happened on my trip was that I attempted to set up a wake up call the front desk phone rang and rang and rang for over 40 minutes before I gave up.

Stayed February 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I arrived at the hotel around 1:00, prior to the check in time of 4:00 pm. I received a nice greeting from the valet, but was told by the front desk that they didn't have a room ready yet. They recommended a local restaurant for lunch. After lunch I returned at 3:00. I have a reservation made a month earlier for a room with double beds as I was traveling with my 17 year old son. The room still wasn't ready, so we took the metro rail to the museum and arrived back at the hotel a little after 5:00. We had show tickets for 7:30. The room still wasn't ready. I expressed my concern to the desk clerk. He recommended that I take a King Room, and that they would provide a roll away bed, so that we could get ready. He offered to comp breakfast the next day, because of the delay. I declined breakfast, but asked if he could comp the valet parking instead, which he agreed to do. So far, so good. The hotel lobby was nice, and the room was as well, although the comforter was a little worn. The room was clean. We left for the show a little before 7:00. As yet the roll away still hadn't been delivered. I checked with the front desk again, and was told the roll away had been requested, but he would double check again for me. We arrived back at the hotel after midnight to discover there was still no rollaway. I called the front desk and was told there were none left. I asked if we could be switched to a new room, and was told there were none available, nor could they upgrade us. Only after a stern conversation, did the employee check with a supervisor. They did then offer to comp a second room for my son, two floors up. I made up my mind that this was satisfactory and that I would still feel that the overall experience was satisfactory if not ideal. The next morning, I received my bill to find that I had been charged for valet parking. I spoke the the desk clerk on duty, who told me that the gentlemen the evening before had no authority to comp valet parking, and that she couldn't remove it. She was pleasant, and told me that if I wanted to wait approximately an hour, that I could speak to her supervisor who might be able to assist me. After the whole experience I just paid the bill and left. I did fill out their comment card and left it with my checkout information at the front desk. I haven't heard from anyone there and don't expect to. I don't think they have an overall attitude of wanting to provide good service to the customer. I'm not a frequent traveler, but I stay in hotels at least 2 to 3 times per year. I really enjoy a full service hotel. I've never written a review and I've never complained at a hotel before this. I am just really surprised, because at every other hotel that I have stayed at my reservations have been correct, the staff has never ignored a request, and has certainly never told me they would do something they are not authorized to do. Maybe I have been fortunate, but I feel that this hotel is not well ran. Management attitute is perhaps reflected by the staff? I will not stay there again.

9 Thank klee09
Houston
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I LOVE the Magnolia Hotel Houston!! I've stayed there twice & visited many times for their great Happy Hour!

Let me put it this way... I live in Houston. I live only about 30 minutes away from downtown Houston. However, on special occasions... my husband and I go on a downtown date and stay at the Magnolia hotel!

First off, great location... very near lots of great bars and restaurants down town. Second, great bar inside... very nice, cozy bar, great happy hour prices 5-7 everyday, and usually there's a jazz band playing. Third... great price! The hotel is very reasonable for downtown compared to some of the others. The room is very comfortable & very nice as well. You also get a decent continental breakfast in the morning and they have milk and cookies at night :)

It seems the best deal is to book online at their website. Warning, Houston is convention/trade show land during the week... so prices are probably higher then.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank YoostonTX
Reviewed February 4, 2006

Magnolia has a great location, modern looks, and nice rooms and not much else.

The outside: The main entrance is very nice but turn the corner and the hotel windows along the street are covered up with black trask bags and the sidewalk was covered in trash. Parking is a pain and after watching the valet service nearly trash a BMW while trying to park it, I would suggest you do it yourself. However there is no connection between the garage and the hotel. You have to walk all around it to get there and hope the garage elevator is working.

The inside: very clean and modern not my taste but whatever works for you. The rooms are nice and neat. Big bathrooms and big rooms give you room to stretch.

Other: The workout room is fine and the pool/spa area are on the roof. The pool is small and cold. It does offer great views and over looks Minute Maid Park. Don't bother with room service, not great.

Location: Great. dowtown walking distance to food, symphony, baseball, and basketball.

Staff: terrible.They never had answers to any of our questions. We were looking for a "cheap sports bar" and they told us there were none. We didn't know our way to the Houston Symphony and they told us we would need to take their limo service when it was only a few blocks away. They have a "cafe" but it is never open and nobody knows the hours. It wasn't open at noon but it was at 11pm.

It was a nice hotel, but I would never stay here again. If I were to do it over, I would have gone to the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed January 22, 2006

Comfortable medium sized hotel with well-furnished rooms, free breakfast (kinda), free Internet and good workout facilities.

Staff are on the whole quite helpful and friendly.

The hotel could get five out of five if it wanted to. However, it just doesn't give you that 100% feeling, for the following reasons:

1) Sloppy cleaning - Every day at least one thing wasn't cleaned. Upon closer observation it would appear that the rooms are never checked after cleaning.
2) Elevators - Take hours to arrive.
3) Breakfast - The free continental breakfast is a nice touch. However it really doesn't include that many things, and even doesn’t have toast. Interestingly the paid for breakfast requires the same effort to collect, and also the same effort by the staff, who simply give you the bill. That doesn't stop them asking for a tip. Something important ran out every day too. For example coffee, or bread, or forks. (Forget about telling the staff if you have a dirty fork.)
4) Pool – small and freezing cold. I can still feel it now, two weeks later.

Apart from these points it’s a good place to stay and I would go again. A 3.5 really but lets give it a 4.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank rabbitman
Seattle, WA
Reviewed December 26, 2005

I stayed at the Magnolia Houston for three nights on a family trip. The hotel is in a nice location, with many unique (for Houston) restaurants around and more on the way judging from the construction. My problem with the hotel primarily stems from a few problems with the service and facilities that, although they were resolved, really shouldn't have come up in the first place.

1) Upon checkin, the (wired) internet in my room didn't work. We tried a different room (the internet worked), but the ventilation fan on the lowest setting was extremely noisy. We tried a different room and the internet didn't appear to work as well. Luckily, I had a spare network cord and we (I) determined that they had a bad cord. All the while, they were seeming frustrated with my peristence to get a room where the internet actually worked. They appeared to question whether I was doing things right, which, of course, is not rocket science.

2) After changing rooms I had to request 3 times that the mini-fridge that I had in room number 1 be moved to room number 3. I shouldn't have to ask more than once.

3) We went up to the roof to use the hot-tub one night and it was ice cold. We informed the staff and they fixed it by the next night. They should have a staff member check the tub periodically during the day.

Although it's a nice hotel and I feel it was worth the price, I am not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005