“Weekend getaway-- relaxing, refreshing, and fun”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #22 of 504 Hotels in Houston
The Woodlands, TX
“Weekend getaway-- relaxing, refreshing, and fun”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We live close to Houston and love to go in and experience the boutique hotels which are usually more expensive but being close to home don't incur the travel costs. The Magnolia is one of our favorites because it has extras-- 2 free drinks at happy hour, cookies and milk before bed and a free breakfast-- all good. Its rooms are well appointed-- although all the views aren't that good but most are nice. Although be careful with room service-- they charge $2.95 for delivery and add a 21% gratuity!! So don't feel compelled to tip the delivery person. Other benefits-- you can walk to the ballpark, to many restaurants, to the Bayou Place Entertainment Complex, Alley Theatre, Jones Hall, Wortham-- and catch the Metro to the Museum district. So park your car and enjoy-- oh, valet parking costs $25.00. So our $99 internet special ended up costing us $179.00 with tax, valet, and one room service-- still an affordable weekend for a room that usually costs $250.00 per night. Oh-- and it has the only rooftop pool in downtown Houston-- it's small but nice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Dallas,Tx
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was our first stay at the Magnolia, in Houston's historic district, but it will certainly not be our last.
From the moment we arrived, we were impressed with this property. The doormen, the front desk personnel, every staffer we encountered was friendly and helpful.
We found the room very comfortable. A large desk, very comfortable queen beds, a well-stocked bathroom with a huge oversized tub, and a host of complimentary items.
Besides free Internet, we had a fabulous free breakfast. Not your usual continental fare, but a full breakfast with hot foods, yogurt, fruit, breads and pastries, juices. At night, we were treated to free wine and beer (2 drinks apiece) and free milk and cookies (delicious).
Up on the 23rd floor, the rooftop pool, gym, and hot tub are very inviting; small, but adequate. And there is a great view of Houston from this floor. On the 2nd floor, where the breakfast is served, there is a real honest-to-goodness library. The Magnolia also provides a free shuttle to anywhere in the downtown area. The price was unbelievable for all this value, and impeccable service.

Would we stay there again? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel for two years during the OTC Trade Show. I really like almost everything about this place. The lobby and restaurant/bar are lovely. The rooms are quite nice with luxurious bathrooms. This year, I was upgraded to a suite which was a real bonus. Since we stay for over a week, it was great to have the extra room to move around. My room was cleaned promptly every day with towels and toiletries refreshed consistently.

I (and the others in our group as well) enjoyed the free happy hour, where we would meet up before going out for dinner. There are a fair number of nice restaurants within walking distance. And the metro station is just a few blocks away. I don't eat a big breakfast and I didn't visit the buffet this year, but others in my group said it was really good, and a good bargain that it is included with the room.

The only downside to the hotel is more a downside of Houston...the area can get a bit dodgy if you're out alone or in a small group at night. While I can't say I ever felt unsafe, it could be a bit unnerving. So I would suggest that solo travellers plan to use the hotel shuttle service or take a cable unless they're only walking a block or two.

I also think the valet charges were high, but it seems to be consistent among the hotels in this area. And you really wouldn't want to leave your car unattended at night.

It is my firm belief that the VAST majority of hotel personnel do try their best. But I have seen SO MANY guests get rude and disrespectful to people even though it's obvious that whatever happened was completely out of the control of the staff person.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is fine and service was good. But if you want that luxurious or hip feeling, this is not it. The pool was quite disappointing, very small and crowded, no landscaping, few tables. The happy hour was fine but jammed with loud people. I wanted to leave, but would have been happier in the adjacent library which was a very nice touch.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
austin
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed 3 nights with my family.In terms of room cleaning - very disappointing. First day they didn't clean our room until 5 p.m. - simply not acceptable! When I called down to reception I received no apology and explained that. And they said no cleaning person that time.so we got just clean towels. Next day we didn't get cleaned our room until 2p.m. again. So I told reception again. After 5 p.m., I found still didn't clean our room. I called again and the lady was very rude on the phone, in the end she called the maids and we ended up having to go out without showering.
the staff is not good this place.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Spend the weekend to celebrate a birthday get-away in our own town. The hotel is very nice with nice contemporary furniture. What got me hooked was the complimentary wine (Happy Hour) for all guest and the late night "Milk & Cookies" service. Took a deep in the rooftop pool over looking the city (pool is not very big but can we talk about the scenary)

And when they said continental breakfast I was expecting two fruit and a bagel. Not only do you get served hot food but its almost buffet style breakfast. You get your money's worth and then some by staying at Hotel Magnolia. I will defintley recommend this hotel to family and friends. If I ever travel to Omaha, Denver or Dallas I know where I'll be staying.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We were visiting Houston for a wedding this past weekend and stayed at the Magnolia Hotel for three nights. The hotel is nice, clean and modern. Room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. There are many amenities included in your rate: a hot and cold continental breakfast, happy hour with 2 complimentary drinks as well as an evening cookies and milk bar. Our stay would have been perfect if not for lackluster service. The front desk attendees were slow and not quick to help. They were also not very friendly. At times, there was only one person working the bell desk, and that person was required to do valet and drive the complimentary downtown shuttle as well. Because of the poor service, I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple