“Magnolia Hotel is a beautiful blossom in downtown Houston!”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #26 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Los Angeles, California
“Magnolia Hotel is a beautiful blossom in downtown Houston!”
Reviewed March 18, 2005

I had such a wonderful time during my stay at the Magnolia Hotel that I extended my stay for one more night. It's a beautiful facility with accommodating staff. Twice I sent the valet to get items from my parked car (the "items" are too trivial to list in this review, but I appreciated their availability to do that for me).

Continental breakfast was great. They also set up a hot breakfast line in the same area for those who want more (smart marketing strategy). Happy hour was great, too. At times the service was slow, but my drinks were free and my surroundings were idyllic. I refused to complain.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Reviewed March 2, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Magnolia this past Saturday night as a weekend getaway from San Antonio and to catch Les Miserables. Everything was fine, except for the service. We pulled up and the valet was on his cell phone and didn't seem to want to help, so instead of valeting, we just asked where to park. He told us to go around the corner to park in the city garage and paid five bucks, but after we checked in the desk clerk told us about the twenty dollar valet overnight parking. So we decided to go with the overnight parking, instead of taking our chances staying overnight in the city garage. The valet outside failed to mention this option to us and we lost five bucks. The front desk clerk was not very friendly and just checked in us in and gave us our key, without even mentioning the milk and cookies that night, the live jazz playing that night, or the free breakfast. He did give us tickets for free cocktails from 5pm - 7pm, but it was already after 7pm and we were only staying one night. Why give us tickets for something we missed?

We ate at Azuma, a Japanese restaurant that night which is two blocks down on Texas. The food at Azuma was outstanding! I highly recommend it. We went back to the Magnolia and listened to the jazz band in the very crowded bar area. The bartender wasn't very friendly and the waitresses walking around, never once stopped by our table and asked if we needed anything else. The milk and cookies from 9:00 - 10:00 pm are out in this area as well. Which is nice, except for the kids. The jazz band was really good. In the room that night we found a menu listing late night snacks that were available from 11pm - 6am. We called to order the cheesecake, because we had decided to pass on the dessert at Azuma to eat dessert in our room. We called the number on the menu, only to be told that the kitchen had closed at 11pm and they were out of everything on the menu. The kitchen transferred us to the front desk, who then transferred us to the hardly-present, unhelpful consignor, which only told us that he had outside numbers.

Giving up on the hotel and being dissappointed, we called 411 on our cell phone and got the number for Sambuca's down the street. My husband called in an order for a creme brulee and chocolate cake and went and picked it up himself. The desserts were wonderful. Sambuca's is a really fun place with great food, as well. We missed the free breakfast the next morning and tried to go find an open place on a Sunday morning for breakfast and couldn't find anything. We settled on eating an apple for breakfast and eating a very enjoyable lunch at Mingalone's at Bayou Place before the matinee. The hotel did have the New York Times available in the lobby. Overall, the hotel is beautiful and a nice getaway in the theatre district of Houston, just don't expect a friendly staff or great service. It seemed to me that service was not a core value of the Magnolia or encouraged by management.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2005

We stayed at the Magnolia this past saturday, it was a nice hotel, and the cocktail reception was a big plus. The front desk employees were not friendly at all, and the bellhops were a bit immature. We did not have a working phone for the entire stay (we were promised that someone would come fix it), and we had a decent size hole in the wall. I did like the decor, and I must say the bartenders were all great. Although we didnt have the greatest service, we made another reservation.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2005

We booked last minute after looking at their website which had a "Best Rate Guarantee". We booked and then found the room $20 cheaper on Expedia and were given the Expedia rate plus and additional 20% off.

The hotel itself was beautiful and was very clean. The room was great including the nicely appointed bathroom with a deep garden tub and granite counter tops. The pillow top bed was fabulous but I wasn't aware I could request a different pillow as the pillow given was too thick. Make sure to request a feather pillow if that is what you prefer.

The drinks from 5-7 were a nice touch as well as the continental breakfast.

Overall, we had a great time and plan to return upon our next trip to Houston.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 26, 2004

I love this place, Service was excellent from the front desk
to the concierge. My sons enjoy the milk and cookies that
was serve in front lobby,You do not get this service in just
any hotel but Houston Magnolia. The trip from San Antonio
was worth it.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2004

Stayed in a suite for our anniversary. We checked in and received our room # and key. We attempted to open our door lock numerous times, but it would not work. We began to hear moaning and other weird sounds from inside our assigned room. After going back down to the lobby from 15th floor, the front desk agent laughed and said she was sorry for giving us the wrong room. We shrugged off the mixup, and decided to forget about it.

When we went into the bathroom we noticed a few ants crawling around the bathtub. It wasn't enough to make us call for exterm. When we returned from our evening, the ants had multiplied and were now crawling on the bathroom floor and walls. I called the front desk but we didn't want to have someone in our room because we were trying to have a private evening. Oh well.

Upon check out, we were charged twice for $20 parking, which was later taken off our bill. The hotel was nice, bed very comfortable, but not the best experience.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas
Reviewed November 16, 2004

When the only thing to complain about is that they ran out of chocolate chip cookies at "milk & cookies" you know you are staying at a great place. The hotel interiors are beautiful. The rooms are spacious. The furnishings are all new. The beds are so big and fluffy I slept well every night. The gigantic bathtub is one of the best perks in the room. I travel full time and having a kitcenette is such a plus. I am traveling to Dallas in the spring and can't wait to stay at that Magnolia next!

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business