“Business Travel”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #40 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I travel for work often and this is the kind of hotel I look for - comfortable, friendly staff, boutique style. The hotel has nice amenities and convenient services. My room was pleasant with a nice layout (after a long day at work, I was looking forward to getting back there). In addition to getting work done in my room, their common areas are ideal for the business traveler. The staff helped us with restaurant recommendations, has a shuttle to nearby popular areas and very attentively ensured that everything was running smoothly. The food and bar service was good too; my colleagues enjoyed unwinding over a game of pool in a nice back room near the bar. When in downtown Houston, for work or pleasure, I will definitely stay here again. Plus, they are a member of the Stash loyalty program!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JDubs6
Write a ReviewReviews (2,840)

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We've stayed at the Magnolia hotel in Houston for 3 nights during a weekend. The service is excellent. We've asked for a late checkout (one hour later) and that was no problem. Also roomservice is great. The location for the weekend is okay for restaurants, bars and theaters (lots of other things are closed in the neighbourhood during the weekend). Walking distance to Minute Maid park and Bayou park. Breakfast is also excellent although we missed our morning yoghurt.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I received a gift certificate for a houston staycation at the Magnolia as a wedding present. We stayed one night, on a weekend without a large wedding party at the hotel. We informed the hotel it was my birthday, but we did not receive any special treatment.

They were kind enough to allow us to check-in early which was a huge plus. We informed the hotel of the gift certificate when booking, but the staff seemed inexperienced in how to handle the gift certificate we presented it at check-in. The front desk staff needed to consult with the manager several times to clarify how to process our gift certificate.

The restaurant is mediocre at best, so definitely look into eating at the many restaurants around the hotel. We initially planned on eating both lunch and dinner at the hotel to use up the gift certificate value, but after eating lunch, we decided to eat elsewhere for dinner. The milk and cookies was a cute idea, but not overly impressive. The breakfast buffet was your typical hotel breakfast. They also offer an a la carte breakfast menu, but it was difficult to order off of since the staff was standing in the corner by the bar the entire time. My husband had to track down a server to order a smoothie since no one was around.

As mentioned in several other reviews, the hotel is severely understaffed and apathetic to its clients. We came here expecting a higher level of customer service, but were extremely disappointed at the service we received. My husband called the front desk to ask if they had hair gel. They informed him that the cafe (which is 50 feet from the front desk and connected to the hotel) sells these type of products. It would have been really nice if the hotel staff went above and beyond as several other "boutique" hotels do and offered to pick up this item for him and bring it up to the room.

The rooms were clean, spacious and had great views. The bathrooms were large and had plenty of extra towels which was extremely helpful. We requested a refrigerator to be placed in our room, and they honored our request with no problem. The hotel also offers a pool table on the 2nd floor which was a nice surprise. The rooftop pool has an AMAZING view but it is hard to enjoy since it is the hang out spot for smokers and the stench of cigarettes becomes overwhelming.

Valet attendants were great. Met our car as soon as we pulled up and retrieved our car quickly every time. We just texted the number provided and they told us how long it would be so we could go downstairs at the correct time.

Overall, if you are looking for a place to stay in a great location without needing to take advantage of the amenities and customer service, I would recommend Magnolia.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked our room as a last minute anniversary get away.The staff was great and very friendly. Our room was wonderful! There was even a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived!
They have a cookie and milk bar at night for the guests which is a neat idea and they have a large complementary breakfast every morning. The pool is very tiny but the other amenities make up for the lack of pool.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Pros
-Clean room and spacious (compared to New York hotels). Great view of the downtown area especially from the rooftop pool
-Great breakfast and milk/cookie bar
-Beautiful roof top views of the city with pool/Jacuzzi. Pool is on the small side with occupancy for 25 people and 3ft deep.
-Valet parking attendants very professional and very quick response time.

Cons
-Very slow service. I think they are severely understaffed and eventually it will be detrimental to their boutique hotel style of business. Most business people won't put up with it for very long and luckily we were there more for leisure. It took over an hour to get drinks/food ordered to the pool deck. Also, I left my hotel keys in my room. I have called every day for the last four days. Each time, I leave my phone number and I am promised a call back. Hasn't happened. I also emailed lost and found department 3 times.

Overall, I would stay here again if I found a deal and just be prepared for the kinks with service. As a business person, I don't think I could put up with the slow service. I think the management knows they need more people and definitely try there best to fix it.

Room Tip: Room facing the downtown area.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel would get a 5 from me just based on the room, but the breakfast area was a little chaotic with people looking for places to sit, etc. The buffet ran out of eggs when my husband and I got there, but we went ahead and toasted our English Muffins, and by the time they were done, more eggs were delivered. The breakfast was excellent, especially the bacon. There was not a nice restaurant here, but there are several within walking distance. The price of the room included two free glasses of beer or wine, cookies and milk in the evening and breakfast. The room was wonderful. It was spacious with a king size bed, a microwave, cooktop, refrigerator (in addition to the mini bar), a large flat screen tv and, my favorite part, two bathroom sinks and vanity areas. My husband showered, and I was able to get ready in my own vanity area without steam from his shower. It was clean and quiet as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very fine hotel located in downtown Houston, in a neighborhood where you wouldn't want to wander about much after dark. Overall the hotel was well run with a friendly staff and good services. The rooms were of generous size and well cleaned. Only complaint was that the cooling was not great and we had to keep the curtains pulled all day to keep the room from being too hot. The cooling system was not adequate for a Houston summer. Their valet parking was very efficient considering their heavy workload, and it was quite easy to use. This hotel is a good choice for those who need to be in downtown Houston for work or play.

Room Tip: Our 17th floor room A/C was challenged. Perhaps a lower floor room would be cooler.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends