“Clean, Milk/Cookie bar, Slow Service”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #38 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Pros
-Clean room and spacious (compared to New York hotels). Great view of the downtown area especially from the rooftop pool
-Great breakfast and milk/cookie bar
-Beautiful roof top views of the city with pool/Jacuzzi. Pool is on the small side with occupancy for 25 people and 3ft deep.
-Valet parking attendants very professional and very quick response time.

Cons
-Very slow service. I think they are severely understaffed and eventually it will be detrimental to their boutique hotel style of business. Most business people won't put up with it for very long and luckily we were there more for leisure. It took over an hour to get drinks/food ordered to the pool deck. Also, I left my hotel keys in my room. I have called every day for the last four days. Each time, I leave my phone number and I am promised a call back. Hasn't happened. I also emailed lost and found department 3 times.

Overall, I would stay here again if I found a deal and just be prepared for the kinks with service. As a business person, I don't think I could put up with the slow service. I think the management knows they need more people and definitely try there best to fix it.

Room Tip: Room facing the downtown area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,846)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel would get a 5 from me just based on the room, but the breakfast area was a little chaotic with people looking for places to sit, etc. The buffet ran out of eggs when my husband and I got there, but we went ahead and toasted our English Muffins, and by the time they were done, more eggs were delivered. The breakfast was excellent, especially the bacon. There was not a nice restaurant here, but there are several within walking distance. The price of the room included two free glasses of beer or wine, cookies and milk in the evening and breakfast. The room was wonderful. It was spacious with a king size bed, a microwave, cooktop, refrigerator (in addition to the mini bar), a large flat screen tv and, my favorite part, two bathroom sinks and vanity areas. My husband showered, and I was able to get ready in my own vanity area without steam from his shower. It was clean and quiet as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very fine hotel located in downtown Houston, in a neighborhood where you wouldn't want to wander about much after dark. Overall the hotel was well run with a friendly staff and good services. The rooms were of generous size and well cleaned. Only complaint was that the cooling was not great and we had to keep the curtains pulled all day to keep the room from being too hot. The cooling system was not adequate for a Houston summer. Their valet parking was very efficient considering their heavy workload, and it was quite easy to use. This hotel is a good choice for those who need to be in downtown Houston for work or play.

Room Tip: Our 17th floor room A/C was challenged. Perhaps a lower floor room would be cooler.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for a week while on a business trip in Houston. The location is great, right on the Texas avenue, close to many restaurants and offices.

The room I stayed in was large and had a very comfortable king size bed and pretty much everything I needed. It was always clean and quiet. I had never any problem with noise or loud neighbors.

The staff was always very nice and helpful.

I can't comment on the prices as it was payed by the company.

However there is one thing that bothered me a lot. It was the breakfast, that was included. Maybe it is because I am from Europe, but the I really did not like what was offered on the buffet tables. Absolutely no fresh vegetables , only some fruit. I tried the eggs once, but they were almost cold so I was basically stuck with cereal for the whole week.

Apart from the breakfast it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely return to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed with my husband over Labor Day weekend. Super close to metro train, and even closer to fun bars and decent restaurants. Room was nothing spectacular, but great for the price we paid thru Priceline. Staff was friendly. Worked perfectly for what we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Rbd1117
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Magnolia hotel has certainly become one of our favorite hotels in the Houston area. From the Moment we pulled up to the valet, we were indulged with excellent customer service and not to mention a beautiful one of a kind hotel . Free happy hour, cookie buffet at bedtime and a free breakfast added up to a great weekend for my husband and I.

Room Tip: The suite had a microwave and mini fridge
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice boutique hotel in downtown Houston. Older hotel that has been renovated with nice modern touches. Great artwork displayed throughout the hotel. (especially the dining area). Standard rooms are large, with plenty of room. Comfortable beds. Nice large bathrooms. Excellent full breakfast, but have to get there early, ends at 9am. If the hotel is booked, there can be a wait for valet and elevators.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends