“Nice touches”

Ranked #33 of 517 Hotels in Houston
London
“Nice touches”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a very stylish hotel in a good location. The room was beautiful and very spacious. They included 2 free drinks each at happy hour, breakfast and evening cookies and milk. They gave us a free late checkout so we could laze in bed which meant we missed breakfast! If it had been warmer it would have been nice to try the roof top pool. The views were great. The fitness room was also reasonable for a city centre hotel. Recommend the Bombay pizza co and the flying saucer bar a few blocks away.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmeliaLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Midland, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I called to make a reservation - very friendly and helpful but found out the hotel was full. She offered to put me on waiting list - and they called me back with a cancellation to get me a room! The Magnolia has it's own style and charm - warm and classic. Check-in was easy and fast. Large room - very clean and comfortable bed. Choice of internet speeds but the free one was plenty fast. Breakfast was included the next morning - warm and fresh eggs, meats, waffles, etc and lots of fruit. Valet parking was easy in and out. Well done and looking forward to my next trip to Houston and staying here again.

1 Thank Charles D
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Magnolia has a lot of perks. The free breakfast, managers reception and cookies and milk were great. I would stay again. Staff was very friendly. The bathrooms rooms are nice and have a garden tub. Things that could be improved. The windows on the building need to be cleaned from the outside. The alarm clock needs to be better.

1 Thank Janice M
Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Magnolia Hotel in Downtown Houston, and we were really happy with our choice.

As veterans of the Kimpton Chain of Boutique Hotels, I would certainly rate the Magnolia Hotel as equal to the best Kimpton Hotels. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the rooms spacious and very clean, and the food at both dinner and breakfast was excellent.

We arrived after the Happy Hour from 5:30 - 6:30 PM, so we decided to eat at the bar on the 2nd floor instead of venturing outside in the rain for dinner. My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised by the food quality and exceptional service, especially by Billy working behind the bar. The morning breakfast buffet on the 2nd floor was also very good although the layout is rather odd with the buffet tables at the opposite end of the seating area. I think that it would be much more efficient to locate the buffet tables closer to the seating area - just a suggestion. The workout room is very adequate (according to my wife as I had work to do!), and the free internet access is a nice touch.

I would definitely stay at the Magnolia Hotel in Downtown Houston again, and I highly recommend it to both business and leisure travelers looking for an "oasis" in Downtown Houston. Give the Magnolia Hotel a try, you will not regret it!!!

2 Thank Simmrouter
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

If you thnk about table stakes for a good hotel, magnolias got them. What it's missing are the fine touches to make it a great hotel. Recommended improvements: change breakfast menu periodically, add windows to gym to see views, have free coffee in the lounge throughout the day, add slippers and shoe shine sponge in room, add free music channel to in room tv, have free bottled water in room, extend Internet renewal period to 24 hours, make sure switches in room turn on all lighs, make sure bulbs don't need replacing. I hope these changes are in place for my next visit. Overall, it's a good hotel, haven't tried others in the area but there is nothing at magnolia urging me to come back again - might just try one of the others to be able to compare.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank The_Cairene
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel, as I always like staying at independent hotels, but this place is just average. It has underused, very large common spaces, which lead to a weird atmosphere. The gym is on one of the top floors of the hotel, and the rooftop pool is right outside. One would think this would provide the opportunity to plan a bright, light gym, but no. It's painted dark gray and is depressing. The outdoor pool lacks furnishings and pizazz. My room was fine-- nothing outstanding and nothing unacceptable. The hotel's surroundings are nothing to write home about, and the attached coffee shop lacks a cool vibe. Breakfast on the second floor of the hotel was a substantial and free buffet that was a step above "corporate" and provided a wide assortment of hot and cold choices. I ate at the Grove Restaurant-- which I loved-- and the area around that restaurant would probably be a more interesting place to stay in Houston. One final comment-- one of my colleagues (from a city other than mine) accidently left his eyeglasses at a meeting. I was checking out of the hotel the next day and was traveling the entire day and thus was not able to mail the glasses, so I asked if the hotel could overnight mail the glasses for me. I gave the hotel my company's fed ex number and filled out the fed ex delivery slip. The hotel didn't send the glasses out for two days, and then it sent them by two-day service. Now, it is my colleague's fault that he left behind his glasses, and it wasn't the hotel's responsibility to help me mail them to him. But, having accepted the task, the hotel really could have impressed me, and instead the task was performed half-heartedly, leaving a different description of the episode in this review than I would have left had the eyeglasses been fed ex'd the very next day. Again, the glasses were not the hotel's problem, but an opportunity to shine was lost.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank m3grrl
Fort Worth
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed here as a friend was married at the Rice Hotel. The room was charming and we had a great view of Houston. Really did not want to leave the room as it had fresh daylight, nice big HD TV, deep bath, good amenities + complimentary happy hour and late night cookie bar; we missed both due to wedding, We did enjoy a nice hot complimentary breakfast buffet the next am with most everything, except omelette station, We call it complimentary, but all the extras are built into the price of the room and don't forget extra charge for valet parking - overall a great experience, I highly recommend this hotel & the people that work here were top shelf.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple