“Stayed here for a wedding”

Magnolia Hotel Houston
Ranked #33 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was really nice; my only complaints were that we noticed the lobby had an weird odor every time we walked through. Also, the valet was really backed up; seemed like everyone was arriving to check-in for a wedding that night and they seemed behind or understaffed. The hotel staff however were very curteous and the rooms were very nice. I did not get breakfast the next day but someone I was traveling with did, & they said it was the best scrambled eggs they've ever had. I would stay here again next time I came to Houston, however I would not be opposed to staying somewhere else if I got a better deal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel Houston

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here in September 2010 during a weekend roadtrip visit to Texas. Great central location and well placed to explore the city. Fantastic room which overlooked Minute Maid Park, home of the Astros baseball team. We could actually see into the stadium when the roof was open. The hotel has a handy pool on the roof which is good for cooling off in after a day out. There is also a jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great. I think it was close to being more comfortable than our bed at home and we've never been anywhere that we could say that about. Didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I took a group of about 20 business owner to this hotel on September 20-21, 2012. The staff was great to work with. Everything we asked for was done with a high level of service. The only "downer" was that the AV company they outsource wanted what we thought was an outrageous price to rent a projector for a day and a half (over $1, 200 to rent in order to project in a small room). Needless to say, we got our own projector, which was a bit of a hassle.

But the hotel itself was very accomodating to us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Everytime I am in Houston, I hear some locals rave about this 'boutique' hotel. I think their impressions are outdated, the hotel may have been great in the past but it is dated now.

Let's start with the check-in. I arrived at 2pm+ and only got a room at 4pm+. The message shared with me is "the rooms are being cleaned". Cleaned for 2 hours? Later I hear from others that the real story is, the computer has broken down and nobody knows which room is avaiable!?!?

However, the problems at check-in is not the reason for this Terrible rating. The rating is due to:
- Room carpet and window drapes are dustry.
- Room furniture is old
- Shower has low water pressure. Water temperature is slow to slow to change.
- There is this mild sewage stench in a part of the lobby, you can smell it as you are exiting the lifts.
- Room service selection and good quality are poor.
- I took the stairs from ground level to first level where the breakfast/bar area is. Besides me taking the stairs, the cockroaches were too! If it is so easy to run into some cockroaches, they must be all over!

Only plus I can think of are the folks helping with the luggages. They are friendly and hardworking!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank savonarie
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Magnolia Hotel is lovely. Our room was spacious and luxurious. The two free drinks for guests during happy hour was a lovely touch and the bar staff were very friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the free milk and cookies on our second night. Breakfast was included and again was fantastic. We would recommend wholeheartedly. Fab!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My mom and I visited Houston on a short trip during the week for 2 nights 3 days. Wanting the downtown city experience we decided to book at this hotel, especially after reading all of the rave reviews about this property. Unfortunately our experience did not measure up to our expectations, especially when we considered the price. 1.)The lobby had a consistently unpleasant smell, like drainage (sewer) 2.) We were informed of 2 complimentary drinks per person during happy hour. What we weren't informed of is that our choices were limited to red or white wine, or beer. 3.)The front desk was frequently vacant, leaving guests to wonder where to ask a question or request something.4.) Breakfast finishes at 9:00 a,m during the week. If you are on a leisure trip you're probably waking up at 8:30 or 9:00. Which means you'll miss breakfast. 5.) We happened to walk in when the room was being "cleaned". Makes me wonder what kind of cleanliness really exists. The maid literally turned on the vacuum for 2 minutes. Didn't bother mopping the bathroom floor. We definitely booked at the wrong hotel, and when we return to Houston, we will not be staying at the Magnolia since we were somewhat disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M M
MagnoliaVPSales, VP, Sales and Marketing at Magnolia Hotel Houston, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I have sent them over to the GM of the hotel to look into. This is certainly not indicative of our hotel. I do hope the next time you visit Houston that you give us another try. Thanks again.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Magnolia Hotel September 14 & 15 , 2012. I had booked the club for my birthday party. The hotel was clean and the staff were very professional. The food for my event was great. The only reason I'm not rating the property a 5 is because of an incident with parking. My contract stated one price, with the clause "may change" or something like that, and it was increased without any notice. We did not know until leaving the event or checking out of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends